Quantcast

Where is my "Lahar"?

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I need urgent help from anyone who might give me some information on the where about of Aaron Franklin from Lahar.

The thing is I bought a Lahar from Aaron and he still didn't supply them, i've been waiting for 10 months!!!

He stopped replying to my mails and he doesn't pick up his phone or call back after i leave a massage.

Any help will be appreciated.

The man received the a full payment for the bike, I trusted him completly and now I doubt it if i'm ever going to get the bike or atleast a refund of my money.

I saved for a very long time to buy this frame and the guy just kept on promising he will deliver one week after the other, he claimed he had parts problems , that he was sick and that he fell on his hand and could not work?!

I still don't know if all of the reasons above are true or not , but I do know i'm bikeless and really pissed off.

What would you do if you where in my kind of a situation?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
He'll be on some distant planet picking and eating his scabs. Thinking about how god-like he is.

I'll make a couple of calls if you like, no promises though...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I do know he has been held up with parts and is sitting on a few frames that just need parts for delivery. I'm also waiting on a frame held up due to parts. Pity NZ is a small blip on the big companies radar.I'll try contacting him also.He has always supplied frames in the past.

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I do know he has been held up with parts and is sitting on a few frames that just need parts for delivery. I'm also waiting on a frame held up due to parts. Pity NZ is a small blip on the big companies radar.I'll try contacting him also.

I understand the problem he has with parts, but not replying and keeping someone who paid the full price of the product in complete darkness is just unprofessional.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aaron is starting to sound like a similar personality from a few years ago... we'll call him Jan K. No, that's too obvious... uhh, let's say J. Karpiel.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
How is paying full price considered a deposit? I don't get this. When i get hired to do a shoot for a client, they pay 50% up front as a deposit, that's pretty standard in any business?

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
How is paying full price considered a deposit? I don't get this. When i get hired to do a shoot for a client, they pay 50% up front as a deposit, that's pretty standard in any business?
I agree with you.

I payed 50% up front and a few months later Aaron contacted me and asked for the rest of the money stating a few reasons why he needed it.

I was so eager to get the bike I didn't even think about the consequences, and just transfered the rest out of trust and the belief that i'm going to get the bike a week after.

Ye, i know i'm stupid .......... but it's too late now so i'm hoping for the best.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I was seriously thinking about ordering one myself a few months ago. Glad I didn't when I see this.
Hope it sorts out for you man. This is so not pro. Good luck!

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
I need urgent help from anyone who might give me some information on the where about of Aaron Franklin from Lahar.

The thing is I bought a Lahar from Aaron and he still didn't supply them, i've been waiting for 10 months!!!

He stopped replying to my mails and he doesn't pick up his phone or call back after i leave a massage.

Any help will be appreciated.

The man received the a full payment for the bike, I trusted him completly and now I doubt it if i'm ever going to get the bike or atleast a refund of my money.

I saved for a very long time to buy this frame and the guy just kept on promising he will deliver one week after the other, he claimed he had parts problems , that he was sick and that he fell on his hand and could not work?!

I still don't know if all of the reasons above are true or not , but I do know i'm bikeless and really pissed off.

What would you do if you where in my kind of a situation?
gday there,

i spoke to him tonight. He's currently selling his house so he can finish you bike(and the others)

going legal will only take you a long time, and you may never get your money back. My advice, and I know aaron quite well, is give it another month and then start looking at you other options. You will get your bike. And it iwll be worth it.
sucks ass having to wait so long, but aaron is well renowned for being pretty hopeless, and this is proving it.

still, i rode by M9 all last weekend at coronet peak. it was awesome. you're going to love yours

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
gday there,

i spoke to him tonight. He's currently selling his house so he can finish you bike(and the others)

going legal will only take you a long time, and you may never get your money back. My advice, and I know aaron quite well, is give it another month and then start looking at you other options. You will get your bike. And it iwll be worth it.
sucks ass having to wait so long, but aaron is well renowned for being pretty hopeless, and this is proving it.

still, i rode by M9 all last weekend at coronet peak. it was awesome. you're going to love yours
Don't get me wrong, I think Aaron is one of the good guys.

But it still doesn't make me feel better , I will wait and see what the future holds for me.

Going legel will be a last resort- and I hope you are right and that I and all the rest of the guys who are waiting for the bikes will get them.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Here's what I have had back from a friend:
Hi Damo,
Interesting, he was ringing up for chats almost every day up until a few weeks ago. He lives about 15 mins up the road. I'll give him a call or swing by his place in the next few days. The neighbours might have a clue where he his.
I don't think he has been making any frames tho.
Will be in touch.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
another thing to consider, your brand new frame will have NO warranty. that sucks.

not to mention the dude will be "finishing" or "starting" your frame under financial duress and probably cut every corner possible.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
not a surprising scenario. my frame was several months out as well, and contact with aaron was sporadic at best. it's unfortunate as the bike is brilliant, and aaron is obviously a talented designer. he just needs to team up with someone with business acumen (and funding). though it may be questionable if it's even possible to build these things profitably. oh well. if it dies, at least it'll make a cool sculpture.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Punter, Damo... If you have personal squabbles, take them to PM.

Punter; Fraser was nicer than I would have been. That post would have been a temp ban and subsequent probation if I had seen it first, so don't be a dick.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Everything will play out fine,accept for lost time. From my experience and understanding you'll get your frame just fine,and be as happy as the rest of the Lahar owners. Aaron has a lot on his plate at the moment,there should be no excuse,but the reality is,he's one man trying to do a lot in a distant part of the world.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Everything will play out fine,accept for lost time. From my experience and understanding you'll get your frame just fine,and be as happy as the rest of the Lahar owners. Aaron has a lot on his plate at the moment,there should be no excuse,but the reality is,he's one man trying to do a lot in a distant part of the world.
that's very well to say this, but until he either refunds money or produces a frame he's no better than the lowliest scammer. good intentions do not a good action make.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
that's very well to say this, but until he either refunds money or produces a frame he's no better than the lowliest scammer. good intentions do not a good action make.
Yes it's not how I'd do buiseness. Getting a bike hand made at close to cost price can incur other penalties,it is a shame that it's all taken so long. I'm just trying to express that Aaron is a trustable person doing a hard job.He does not have a fountain of cash like a big company or access to parts as easily or cheaply. It is not cool,but I'm sure he's doing every thing he can to get things sorted.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Punter, Damo... If you have personal squabbles, take them to PM.

Punter; Fraser was nicer than I would have been. That post would have been a temp ban and subsequent probation if I had seen it first, so don't be a dick.
I was in a good mood this morning. Since then i have been working on CSS and it isn't cooperating. The good mood is gone.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Have fun going legal...unless you're from new zealand or are some sort of expert on international law, you're going to have to hire a lawyer in new zealand to make anything happen.

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
another thing to consider, your brand new frame will have NO warranty. that sucks.

not to mention the dude will be "finishing" or "starting" your frame under financial duress and probably cut every corner possible.
Thanks man , I feel much better now.......

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
things will work out fine bro....i had to wait 6 months for a custom dh frame here in the us and it was plain ol' 4130, not fancy carbon. things take time. that said, he ought to communicate better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm just trying to express that Aaron is a trustable person doing a hard job.He does not have a fountain of cash like a big company or access to parts as easily or cheaply.
He obviously promised what he couldn't deliver (and went on to stop communicating - which is the worst part), and to me that doesn't spell trustworthy at all. Not having cash/parts is his problem, not the buyer's.

I'm sure you understand that already, but just spelling it out a little more realistically.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
He obviously promised what he couldn't deliver (and went on to stop communicating - which is the worst part), and to me that doesn't spell trustworthy at all. Not having cash/parts is his problem, not the buyer's.

I'm sure you understand that already, but just spelling it out a little more realistically.
Your basically calling him a lier. You are wrong. Lahar has always come through in the past.The guy is selling his house to make sure he satisfies his orders with customers. **** happens that is often unavoidable. I don't wish to defend his character as I'm not him,but from my dealings with him he always comes through. Idealy Lahar would get a large financial backer to deal with finances and ordering and just leave Aaron in the shed making the bikes that he does so well.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
No offence Rod, but it's not the first time Lahar have been in this situation- weren't his old moulds seized last time he was bankrupt?

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
You mean "stolen" from a subcontractor who lo and behold had them for sale not that long ago?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah that's correct "stolen". He's slow,but I've never known him to be dishonest. I'm not exactly sure what's going down and don't wish to comment on what I don't know about. My point is simple,he's always come through and from my experience he's an honest guy,I wouldn't be doing any business with him otherwise.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not exactly sure what's going down and don't wish to comment on what I don't know about.
Clearly, you do.

My point is simple,he's always come through
Clearly, he hasn't.

from my experience he's an honest guy
Yes, you've said as much. He would not have sold a single frame if at least one person didn't know him as an "honest guy" - unfortunately, that doesn't make one bit of difference when he takes someone's money and stops returning phone calls.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yeah that's correct "stolen". He's slow,but I've never known him to be dishonest. I'm not exactly sure what's going down and don't wish to comment on what I don't know about. My point is simple,he's always come through and from my experience he's an honest guy,I wouldn't be doing any business with him otherwise.
You sound like Brian HCM#1 does when Karpiel is uttered :busted:

Other than that, I don't have any other comment except I hope this guy gets his framecycle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Think what you like. I said I don't,I have no need to lie,you've now called me a lier on a public forum
Are you joking? Where have I called you a liar?

I pointed out that you clearly do want to comment on the situation. That's all. Relax, read what's there, not what you think is there. I have no beef with you and am not insulting you, but one good experience doesn't improve this guy's bad experience.
remind me if ever we meet in person.
That's nice :rolleyes:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Are you joking? Where have I called you a liar?

I pointed out that you clearly do want to comment on the situation. That's all. Relax, read what's there, not what you think is there. I have no beef with you and am not insulting you, but one good experience doesn't improve this guy's bad experience.

That's nice :rolleyes:
Yeah sorry,I read it as you saying that I clearly new what was happening,and I don't. my apologies.
You others made my mistake,and read my comment wrong(quite possibly the fault of my writting skills).What it meant to read was,I'm not going to bother remebering you calling me a lier because there's nothing I can do,so remind me if ever we meet. yawn,anyway I'm going to work,have fun kids.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That sucks. I was going to buy one of these suckers but Aaron took three weeks to answer each email...left me with a bad feeling, especially when dealing with a guy a world away. And then the price kept going up, and up...real glad I opted for the BMW over the nonexistent Lahar.