Quantcast

Where the trail ends Premiere online stream

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
^This^
I am enjoying it. Riding's unreal, cinematography too. Maybe the story is crap but otherwise thumps up. We already knew that it's going to be like The Art of Flight, right?

I am pretty sure this film will turn heads for sure. And that's a good thing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am not a huge fan of that style of riding, but it reminded me of snowboard videos of riding deep pow, so I got a little interested, but overall my opinion is nuetral. I'd rather watch race footage.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Not for me as well. Same as mentioned above, but there is only so much freeriding I can watch in one sitting. I can sit down and watching race footage for hours on end.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
A movie that put 'mountain' back into freeride mountainbiking! :thumb:

Interesting to see this coming from Freeride Entertainment, felt more like a Kranked series movie.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
If the movie didn't have so much slow mo it would probably have only lasted 10minutes, I got bored. Also thought it was a bit ridiculous to have a slow mo of a helmet being thrown off a cliff in a toddler like tantrum. I know that people get pissed when they don't hit something or it doesn't work out, but rather than trying to get all artsy talking over it in a depressed voice, just cut the clip and put in some actual riding.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I like bikes, this was about stories, long shots and aerial filming. Maybe half the movie wasn't even bikes.

To each their own, but I dont give a crap about the the trip to the riding, or the riders and their back story, I care about bike riding. Label me a hater, wheres the next Earthed movie...

Last edited:

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
If the movie didn't have so much slow mo it would probably have only lasted 10minutes, I got bored. Also thought it was a bit ridiculous to have a slow mo of a helmet being thrown off a cliff in a toddler like tantrum. I know that people get pissed when they don't hit something or it doesn't work out, but rather than trying to get all artsy talking over it in a depressed voice, just cut the clip and put in some actual riding.
yeah, all the riding sequences could've been substituted with slow-mo shots of expensive helmets, tumbling down a remote hillside in china.
i like the going fast parts though, which comprised pretty much the entire movie.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I like Anthill (formerly The Collective) films better. FR Entertainment films are all about hucks and big crashes, while Anthill ones care more about the cinematography and having a good time with your friends and some bikes...

One downside I saw, all the locations looked almost the same to me... While on the bright side, they shredded in Cafayate, Argentina!!! (my country)

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I am waiting for the bonus DVD with 44min of pure shredding (according to the advertising) with more riders.
What I'm completely sure now is that Doerfling is complete badass, followed by Sorge.
Everyone who can shred these lines, I pull my head off.

And Zink is one tough motha****a. That crash...
First segment of Bearclaw was absolutely awesome, with good sound, really liked that.

That said, after the first big descents you saw, it looks almost the same every time.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
not enough riding, too much whining... a 1h long bike movie with 20 min of riding in it? and s semi-literate MTBer explaining that people in other countries "they have... um... culture, ya know, true ...um...culture and stuff!" are you serious????
impressive at the beginning, but kind of repetitive after the 30th gully run... does berrecloth anything else than 360s?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I had a similar impression about locations... same naked rock, dust, dirt powder, etc... Are there no forests or jungles left where no man has ever been before?
No cable cams? No octocopter cams for close-ups? Pity
I liked Life cycles better.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I am waiting for the bonus DVD with 44min of pure shredding (according to the advertising) with more riders.
What I'm completely sure now is that Doerfling is complete badass, followed by Sorge.
Everyone who can shred these lines, I pull my head off.

And Zink is one tough motha****a. That crash...
First segment of Bearclaw was absolutely awesome, with good sound, really liked that.

That said, after the first big descents you saw, it looks almost the same every time.
I agree with everything you said. You should have seen my wife's face when she saw Zink's crash...

I had a similar impression about locations... same naked rock, dust, dirt powder, etc... Are there no forests or jungles left where no man has ever been before?
No cable cams? No octocopter cams for close-ups? Pity
I liked Life cycles better.
I think Life Cycles redefined the way MTB films should be nowadays. It set the bar too high for almost all the competition. Maybe Anthill is just a few steps behind. But IMHO, Freeride Entertainment is still locked up in 2001... The main movie theme might sound convincing at the beginning (looking for some other places like the one they love the most: Utah), but after the third location, they all looked the same, with the same kind of lines...

Don't get me wrong here please, I can't ride like that, even in my wildest dreams. I'm not taking merit off the rider's skills and style. I just likes better Life Cycles and Strength in Numbers... The whole "huck to a punk/hard rock song" filming style is gone a long time ago...

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah definitely. They also should have gone in some "green" zones like Hawaai (mixing in some black vulcano soil), or also in the alps to ride some gnarly places.
Maybe they should have also captured a few trains down some real trails...

The other thing I wondered was: "What if Geeman, Kovarik or Brendog had ridden this line? Twice as fast,no skidding and overshooting every single jump?"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The other thing I wondered was: "What if Geeman, Kovarik or Brendog had ridden this line? Twice as fast,no skidding and overshooting every single jump?"
Kovarik would just get his ass beat for not shutting up about important things like handlebar angles and whether riding off rocks is 'mountain biking' :D

'Twice as fast?'
You should ride with some of those guys to appreciate what good bike riders they are if you haven't. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you normally just see shots of them doing tricks, they can't ride. But you don't ride Kamloops on a regular basis and not learn how to haul ass. Talent resides in more places that just the WC circuit.

In all fairness, there's only so slow you can go on a lot of that stuff. I thought most of those guys were fvcking mobbing. I'm a satisfied customer. Definitely worth the price of admission. :thumb:

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I loved the movie, very surprised by the negative comments here and PB. Oh well, can't please everyone, and its maybe a few 100 negatives coming from a few hundred thousand viewers in the first 24 hrs.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think Life Cycles redefined the way MTB films should be nowadays.
That movie was terrible, much worse than this one. A lot of pretentious camerawork and very little bicycle riding. It looks like a demo reel for a production team who wants to do big budget pharmaceutical ads that run on CNN.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
you'll love everything with the tld tag on
Funny, but in case you want to know truth and insight, I only got us involved in the film a few weeks ago, as a sponsor, after seeing it...I thought it was ground breaking for getting bike movies noticed outside of our small world.
But I do appreciate your attempt at sarcasm, humor, whatever it was.

Last edited:

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
For me this movie is OK, but far from being a favourite.
It shows our sport in a way that only a handful of people is doing/riding it.

Personally liked Life Cycles and anything The Collective and their predecessors did much more.
Not to mention killer race movies like Earthed series and All-out stuff.

While whatching Where the rail ends, thouhts like:
"Now this is why I am doing it" or,
"Wow I'd love to ride that, or go out ride now"
Never popped up in my mind.

What the guys (riders and film crew included) did, is extremly brave and spectecular, but was not moving me.
While there were too much talking and non riding scene, it was good to see how dedicated these guys are, and how much they willing to take/suffer for a single shot. So maximum respect to them, but still the movie as a whole will never go to my fav list.

To each his own I guess. I think that this movie may will be as dividing as Life Cycles was.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Funny, but in case you want to know truth and insight, I only got us involved in the film a few weeks ago, as a sponsor, after seeing it...I thought it was ground breaking for getting bike movies noticed outside of our small world.
But I do appreciate your attempt at sarcasm, humor, whatever it was.
This would be one of the last videos I'd show when people ask me about mountainbiking as it makes downhill look gay as hell. I don't have a problem with slo mo and interviews per se but this is just cheesy.

Fixed 2 on Vimeo

Not to start the whole fixed gear argument all over again but this sprang to mind as quite arty but in a good way.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I enjoyed the premier. It didn't blow me away, but I liked it. I just can't really get on board with the 100% desert riding.

I know hitting up the woods restricts your ability to use helicopter mounted cameras, thus reducing the number of people who can marvel at the budget required to use helicopter mounted cameras - but I'd like a little more variety than two hundred shots of a dusty rock drop in slow motion.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Ha, that Charge video was filmed and edited by Rankin... funny how that works...
I know and in case you somehow read that in my post, I dont hate mtb films in general; I really dig Sprung/Earthed and stuff like Chris Akrigg's edits. It's just a certain style of filming I can't stand that's just too common in the mtb world.

Last edited: