Quantcast

where to buy urban, dirt jump and park bike parts???

SONofGAWD

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
like the title states, what are some good sites on the web geared more towards 24"ers urban, dirt jump and park bikes. i am working on my first build up and am looking for some places to shop. fair prices, good quality parts, honest and good service are an obvious must. thanks in advance for any info offered.

jimel.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i just got a tonic - it IS indeed giga sweet.
depends on what frame you get and how u're going to build it up... check out danscomp.com and staff-bmx.com
its a bmx store, but for a solid street ride, most of the parts you will find there
(chainwheels, chain, cogs, chain, grips, seat, brake levers/cables, cranks +++)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Check out the "Hardtail frames and Geometry" Thread here in the BMX/DJ Fourm. Find something that you think will meet your needs, then go from there. I bought my Tonic from www.ride-this.com they provided me with pretty good service. I love my Tonic, its perfect for its intended use. Depending on what frame you choose, you can combine a good parts build and do it for a resonable price by ordering products from both ride-this, and danscomp, or www.empirebmx.com . BMX parts are designed for street/trails, and are usually pretty affordable. BMX parts that work well with mtb's are cranks, pedals, chain wheels, cogs, chains, seats, seat posts, grips, brake cables (odyssey linears are awesome) and headsets. If you want to run a front brake, get a bmx freestyle star nut so you can run the cable through the head tube and give yourself the option to do bar spins, and tailwhips.... hope this helps, good luck!

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
EricMcFlow said:
Support your LBS.
word. BTI and QBP (the major suppliers for almost every lbs) have more slection then most of those websites mentioned. just cause the lbs don't stock it (or know much about it) don't mean they can't get it.

SONofGAWD

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
thank you all for the info, now i have some where to start.

what do you guys think of the addict frames? seems like a nice frame, but in scanning through this site i have not seen anyone ride or support this brand.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
EricMcFlow said:
Support your LBS.
Word. Half the time they're cheaper than online (if their a good shop), and they have great service. Plus they have everything thanks to BTI and many other catalogs.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
v-digit said:
i just got a tonic - it IS indeed giga sweet.
depends on what frame you get and how u're going to build it up... check out danscomp.com and staff-bmx.com
its a bmx store, but for a solid street ride, most of the parts you will find there
(chainwheels, chain, cogs, chain, grips, seat, brake levers/cables, cranks +++)
Good point v-digit and scurban. I've had good experiences w/ both dan's and Staff and have heard really good things about Empire. Like those guys said, a good street/park/dj build will have a bunch of BMX parts which is nice as those parts can cost a bit cheaper at times.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
SONofGAWD said:
thank you all for the info, now i have some where to start.

what do you guys think of the addict frames? seems like a nice frame, but in scanning through this site i have not seen anyone ride or support this brand.
From their website the Addicts look really nice. I think their dropout setup is really slick and the geometry looks really good too. They are very long slung w/ what looks like a ton of standover clearance. And the price of $395 sound very reasonable.

That being said, I would be a little wary using aluminum if you are going for a strict 24" park, street, dj bike. I'm not sure if they are producing that 4130 version proto yet - that could be a possibility. Also, the bike looks like they are designed for 26" wheels and I'm not sure how good the geometry would be when running 24"s. If you are going 24" specific and riding a lot of street and park I'd go USB or Tonic. They both have 110 rear ends, steel frames, quick and tight geometry, and rim brakes.

If you are thinking "maybe 26" then check out Addict (and I would really look into that steel version some more). Or if you have time, wait to see what USB has w/ their 26" frame.

SONofGAWD

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
ok, i think for the money i am going to get the iron horse. i think it will get me in the seat the fastest. then i can build it part by part from there with a frame replacing grand fanally. plus it gives me time to find out what i need and what fits for the riding that i end up doing most.

here is where i am hung up, i know that the 14"-16" sizing is in reference to the tubing that is the seat post tube. i just do not know if it brings the crank clearance higher or if it takes the seat tube lower? also i am 6'1" so i am thinking 16" i just do not understand the reasoning to make this discision.

thanks in advance.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
Bicyclist said:
Word. Half the time they're cheaper than online (if their a good shop), and they have great service. Plus they have everything thanks to BTI and many other catalogs.

We did a run down of how many companies we are autorised dealers for at work today and over half were set up just so we could order things for our own bikes. I am guessing most other shops are the same way.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
EricMcFlow said:
We did a run down of how many companies we are autorised dealers for at work today and over half were set up just so we could order things for our own bikes. I am guessing most other shops are the same way.
Yup. I can get everything from Primo stuff to adult trikes at my LBS. There's a few weird companies that don't have distributors but almost everything bike related (or otherwise).

SONofGAWD

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
Bicyclist said:
well, if you know any in the city of albuquerque that are not rapists let me know.