Quantcast

Where to buy wheels

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If your in Beaverton, go to Portland and talk to the guys at Univesal Cycles. They build some of the best wheels out there and the prices are great. You can set them up from the web page (www.universalcycles.com) and pick them up local.

They also have a good selection of pre built (by hand or machine) that you can choose from too.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've got a set of D321 / XT rear / Grimeca 20mm front that I got from Universal and I couldn't be happier with them. They still have a special on them, around $220 I think? If you want something different their custom built wheels are just as good a deal. I've actually had 3 wheelsets made by them and all have been great.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i agree with buying local a whole lot but....the guy with the "bikeworks" banner thats here on RM a lot builds some sick arse wheels and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tired to tell you. Plus, if you live in the portland area, you can pick them up local and bring the in for trueing and whatnot (if you buy hand built).

They do over 50% in just wheels alone. Very solid builds and great prices.

Mallet

Chimp
I've bought several bikes worth of shiznit from Universal, I just didn't know that the wheelsets were that inexpensive.

When I moved to Portland last year, it blew my mind to find out their warehouse is only 5 mins from my place. I'll check them out on Monday.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've had wheels built by both Universalcycles and Go-Ride.com. My last wheelset which was Marz 20mm front/XT rear, 3x lacing to Mavic D521 (EX721)'s shipped, no tax for $240. They are a nice built set of wheels.

Both places rock. I had to wait a while at Universalcycles but I think they were going through a management change. Once the change happened everything was cool.

Mallet

Chimp
Originally posted by Discostu
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1266&category=277

I bought mine about a year ago for $220. The deal is still on except they have a different front hub (better than what i have), but the rest of the wheelset is the same.
Here are the specs tfor those wheels. Has anyone ever heard of Velocity hubs????

"Shimano XT 756 black disc rear hub and Velocity 20mm front disc hub , 14g black Wheelsmith spokes, black brass nipples and Mavic's 36 hole D321 disc rims. These are not machine built wheels. They are 100% handbuilt by us!"

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
to me they look a lot like formula 20 mm hubs... i had one, never built it up (48H and couldn't lace it to a 36H) and it felt ok... the bearings seemed a little stiff, and overall construction wasn't top notch, but it gets the job done.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
this is just a sugg. i got a while back from my lbs.
call up dt swiss. theres a guy there(i dont remember his name) but hes a wicked good builder and he goes real fast so he does it cheap and dt swiss can get any rim/hub combo for ya and then jus have they guy build it for cheap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Mallet
Here are the specs tfor those wheels. Has anyone ever heard of Velocity hubs????

I think they are the same as Marz hubs or the same as the Rock Mountain hubs (I think they are the same thing). I have had Formula hubs on 3 wheel sets now without issue. I think these might be a little nicer than Formula too.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am with HippieKai.

Check out Scott @ Bikeworks. He is locate in Lake Stevens WA and has built a set of wheels for me, that have not given me a once of trouble. He builds lots of wheels and he knows his stuff. I have no reservations getting my nest wheel set through him.

He is LumberJack on this board.

Scott Stuart's shop number 425-334-7812

Tell him Kevin/Rhino & Kai sent you. :)

Bikworks Web Site

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I have had fantastic experience with Universalcycles.com, good prices and good builds (if you can believe it, they used to be even cheaper). I bought the same wheelset as Spunger, but my rear rim was a 24" FRX 36H. Bottom line, they rule.

However, there is another shop that I also have confidence in as far as building wheels: DropNZone. Allen is a really cool guy, and he's local to boot. Not to mention he has great prices. Check him out.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I had a rear wheel built by Universalcycles. Quality is top notch, and I couldn't be happier with the build. My only complaint is the way they do their business. They charged me for the wheel when it was out of stock, and gave me false information about build time, and availability several times. In the end, it worked out, but I wish I wasn't given the run-around. It could've been a comunication problem among employees, and I forgive them since they built me such an awesome wheel.

I will definately give DropNzone a try for my next wheel. It's in the area, and the prices are pretty good.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Originally posted by jimmydean
If your in Beaverton, go to Portland and talk to the guys at Univesal Cycles. They build some of the best wheels out there and the prices are great. You can set them up from the web page (www.universalcycles.com) and pick them up local.

They also have a good selection of pre built (by hand or machine) that you can choose from too.
I got the same set last year. They are great guys, and since you live in the area it couldnt be easier. The set is pretty good, but if you can I would trade out the grimeca hub. It's been decent, but I liked my zokes 20mm hub better because it seemed to rotate better. They have hadley sets for sale too, but they are a bit more cash. If you want a cheap set of wheels, the grimeca w 321s is a very good deal. I would buy it again if I was strapped for cash, or wanted a decent set for a great price.

Mallet

Chimp
I think I'm going to get the 321's and trade out the hubs. This way I'll have a fresh wheelset for racing this year. Last years wheels, which are also 321's with DT/XT hubs, will go on my FR bike and serve as backups. What do you guys think about Sun Ringle hubs?