Quantcast

where to get parts for kids bikes?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I have four kids and just as many kids bikes in my stable. I always have trouble finding parts to fit the special sizes. Where would I go about getting parts for kids bikes?

I'm specifically looking for:
grips
brake lever
16" tires

The main problem now is that the handlebars on kids bike is a smaller diameter so the majority of grips and brake levers probably won't fit. Local Bike shops have 16" tires but no selection and nothing that we like.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
easy answer: there isn't anywhere to get kids parts. i'm lucky enough to have a retired neighbor who spends most of his time in his metal shop (with his cnc machine ;) ) and who doesn't mind cutting down cranks for my kids bikes.
as far as tires...maxxis has some 16" hookworms..or they used to. i have a set on noah's old 16" haro. selection is very limited on kids bikes but you can get pretty creative...i managed to outfit the little walmart 16" frames with mtb control parts (stem/hbar/brake levers) and that seemed to help a lot.

here's noah's old generic yellow bike with mtb bars, having the lower mtb bars vs. the ape hangers that came on it helped out a lot w/ his control (circa 2005)

and when he outgrew that 16" we started with this:

which eventually morphed into this: (front disc/rear hydro rim, 26" fork with tons of mods to make it like a mini-monster t for a sub 50lb kid)

it's frustrating but with some ingenuity you can make some pretty cool mods to the standard kids bike.

good luck!

splat

Nam I am
My Son went through a whole gammit of Bikes of various sizes. It was a PIA to fix it when he broke it. basically always seam to have his next bike (bigger size ) in the shadows ready for him , when he broke up the one was riding. Now he rides a Large MTB and breaks expensive parts!