Quantcast

Where to go next?

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
So basically... here's my story- help me out

I am doing the whole "college search" thing now, and its starting to bother me. I have very good grades... 3.7 GPA, high SAT scores, clean criminal record, but NOTHING seems to interest me except for filming and riding DH.

I'm applying to USC for their film program, but I love WA and don't think I could leave it even if I got accepted.

University of WA only has an Experimental Media minor, and that doesnt really interest me....

Another thing.... my parents are really pushing me to get into THE BEST SCHOOL I CAN, but really I just want to enjoy life. I can't see myself sitting behind a desk as a drone in some nameless company.

What should I do with my life????

MTBrder69

Chimp
Dec 27, 2004
Collegeville
go to USC if you get accepted. its four years out of washington that you will spend shaping your future, then you can go back and live there. definately go for what you want to do, not something you will regret every morning when you wake up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Applying to the USC Film School is like going to MIT for engineering. Even the qualified get turned down.

But choosing the USC film school implies you are very serious about filmmaking. If you are, then USC/UCLA/NYU are the best schools, and if you are planning to seriously work in film, then you need to make a hard decision and be prepared to sacrifice.

Tough to make adult decisions. I hate it.

Feb 13, 2006
Have a serious talk with your parents about why they are pushing so hard for you to go to the "best school you can".

The idea that your school's reputation matters is usually one believed to be a solid fact by those who don't know that much about scholastic and social life at such "high prestige" colleges and universities.

Aside from that, what exactly is the "best" school you can get into? How do you measure "best"?

If your parents are urging you to go to an Ivy League school or something like that, I would ask them to give you concrete examples of people who found that their "prestigious" college or university made a seriously measurable difference in their life.

Personally speaking, I think you should look at college this way -- you get out of it what you put into it. If you use it as your party vacation for 4 or 5 years, then you won't learn jack schitt. And it will be an expensive party vacation.

What gets you a good job and more options in the real post-college world is your personality, how you come across to interviewers, your real background (how well-rounded, how broad, how deep), and proof that you took college seriously and worked hard at learning as much as you could about the things you wanted to study.

I've worked with all sorts of people in 3 different careers since I graduated from college in 1985. Ivy Leaguers, small elite college grads, public state university grads. I will say this as a solid honest observation -- the school's "prestige" doesn't mean jack schitt. The only thing a "prestigious" school will guarantee you is higher, more costly tuition bills.

Be smart about what you plan to do after college. Give yourself flexibility to find out that what you NOW think will be your major field of study might actually bore you to tears. So, give yourself the flexibility to change majors. Give yourself the flexibility to investigate different subjects -- you never know what you might find interesting. Sometimes an excellent professor can make a subject more interesting in class than you might have assumed otherwise.

What is your driving force behind studying film or alternative media? Do you have a plan for how you are going to use that degree? Have you talked with people who have those types of degrees? If you haven't, you should definitely do that. Soon.

Your parents probably think that your school's prestige will open more doors for you. This MAY be true, but the more important concern for you is whether the doors opened are the kind of doors you want to pass through.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I went out of state for school. I spent the first year partying and generally enjoying the freedom. Then I moved across the country and got a lame job. Within 2 years I had figured out where I wanted to be. I had a real job. 9 years later, I'm married, I own a house, I own 2 cars, I go to whistler every other week....
Just roll with it and have fun. Things fall into place and you will figure it out. Study what you want to study. Go make $11/hour for a few years.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Focus on school and the riding will happen. There is near year round DH in Southern Cal, you wouldn't be misisng out on anything.

School is an important choice. You should focus there because you can ride just about anywhere. If you were looking at Texas Tech, I would tell you different.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I took a tour of the USC film school. It's really good.

There is tons of riding around LA. Lots of DH trails, DJing, XC trails, awsome urban riding about everywhere. You won't be bored riding in LA.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Focus on school and the riding will happen.
Very true.

School is expensive and time consuming. Take a year off or take 12 units in weird classes at a community college if you do not want to put in the effort. If you do not put in the effort, you will seriously regret it.

At some point you will probably want a degree. If you want to study film, you should check out UCLA's film program. It is small but I have heard it is shaping up nicely. UCLA is a big school though and I highly reccomend it but you need to be serious. Also you need to know someone with a car if you want to ride trails (plenty of urban to assault). PM if you have any UCLA questions.

Have you considered going to school in WA somewhere?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just a perspective from someone who took "a year off":

I was burned out on school and wanted a year off to figure out what I wanted. So I took a year off after high school.

Then it was two years...

Then I got a good job...

Then came the promotions...

And finally I hit a promotional wall. Manager job open, I'm qualified, but the V.P. of the department says the candidate must have a 4 year degree.

Now I'm almost 25 years old, and am starting my freshman year year in college. My dad is kind enough to help with tuition, but I'm still living on my own and maintaining my own residence, so I'm working 30+ hours/week.

Now I just wish I had gone right out of high school.

The flip side, for me, is that I partied for a few years non-stop once I got out of high school. I mean, I had few responsibilities and a steady income, so I was out partying every night of the week. Now that's out of my system, so it's a little easier to be focusing on school instead of focusing on beer. Not that beer is ever a bad thing to focus on, mind you ;)