Quantcast

Where to go this weekend?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
Help me plan my weekend...

My wife mentioned camping in PA. We're in Annapolis MD. Is there anywhere decent to go in PA with in about 4 hours drive that includes a) single track, b) camping c) doesn't mind a dog?

Thanks.
 

rpk1988

90210
Dec 6, 2004
2,791
0
Maryland
Go to Gettysburg and sleep with the ghosts. Thats always fun. I went there once to a place called devils den with a bunch of rocks and that was fun. Other then that, there are plenty of places to camp in PA, I just cant think of any right now. Haha.
 

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
1,522
0
State College, PA
jdschall said:
Help me plan my weekend...

My wife mentioned camping in PA. We're in Annapolis MD. Is there anywhere decent to go in PA with in about 4 hours drive that includes a) single track, b) camping c) doesn't mind a dog?

Thanks.
It's right at your 4 hour limit most likely, but check out the State College, PA area. It will be move-in weekend for students so I would avoid downtown like the plague but there is tons of singletrack and camping available. The guys at Mt. Nittany Wheelworks can point you to the trails. Primitive camping is available in the various state forests and parks around the area or there is a KOA in Bellefonte with cabins and such. You could ride Rothrock, Greenwood Furnace, or the less traveled Bald Eagle State Park.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
The Toninator said:
all the cool people are heading to durango. that's only an hour to the airport for you i think? :p

20 min from my house to BWI. With gas prices the way they are that's not too bad a suggestion.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
Mike B. said:
It's right at your 4 hour limit most likely, but check out the State College, PA area. It will be move-in weekend for students so I would avoid downtown like the plague but there is tons of singletrack and camping available. The guys at Mt. Nittany Wheelworks can point you to the trails. Primitive camping is available in the various state forests and parks around the area or there is a KOA in Bellefonte with cabins and such. You could ride Rothrock, Greenwood Furnace, or the less traveled Bald Eagle State Park.

Thanks! I think that we are postponing our trip to next weekend now so it might not be as busy downtown. I've really wanted to get up to State College to check it out. I've heard it's a really nice area. I've been thinking I need to look for a job there at the University.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
rpk1988 said:
Go to Gettysburg and sleep with the ghosts.

That's on the list for the fall as well. Either that or Antietam. We rode our bikes to Harper's Ferry once and we were hanging around in town well after dark when all the touron's had gone home. It was dead quiet and really spooky. We were walking by the river and noticed about 6 civil war reinactors camped out. The invited us up to their campfire and fed us civil war era food and snacks. We just hung out by the fire and they told us all about their uniforms and weapons, etc. They could have been ghosts for all I know. It was a weird night. Ha Ha.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
What was it....... weird stuff?
No. It was some hearty bean soup (kind of bland) and cornbread and some molasses cookies. One of the guys said that the cookie recipe was passed down through his family from some great great grandmother or something along those lines.
 

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
1,522
0
State College, PA
jdschall said:
Thanks! I think that we are postponing our trip to next weekend now so it might not be as busy downtown. I've really wanted to get up to State College to check it out. I've heard it's a really nice area. I've been thinking I need to look for a job there at the University.
Awesome. Be aware though that the first home football game is the 3rd. Attendance will be low due to the holiday weekend but there will still be effects so to speak. You can easily avoid any of the congestion by staying to the Boalsburg or Bellefonte areas and sneak downtown during the game.

I'd love to move back there some day, it really is a nice area with some great riding. If you can score a PSU job, you'll have it made. They haven't had a workforce reduction since the '60s and the pay/benefits are good. A friend of mine works for the Applied Research Lab and to say he's got it good is a huge understatement.

Enrollment has been capped as well so when they decide they need more money or have more space they want to occupy, they'll just let some more people in. If you're in to research, they typically receive the most research money in the country.

If you head up, pick up a copy of the Purple Lizard map or check mtnittanymba.org to see if they have a ride organized.
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
The 'shed'. It was fun. It rained. It was slicker than whale snot. Everybody left behind paint and body/bike parts on the rocks. Good times. I'd post pictures but certain powers that be would probably ring my neck.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
49,271
3,212
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
The 'shed'. It was fun. It rained. It was slicker than whale snot. Everybody left behind paint and body/bike parts on the rocks. Good times. I'd post pictures but certain powers that be would probably ring my neck.
Sweet!

We had to suffer with dry, sunny weather in the low 80's. :mad:

I guess it did get cloudy Saturday afternoon for about an hour. :p

Had fun fishing and going for a "long explore in the woods" with my wife & three liddle boys. They were pretty much going ape**** for all of the nice little rocks around to climb.

This was just above our campsite. We climbed the hill to the base one afternoon:



Edit: Forgot to mention the booty-find of the weekend:

 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
Looks like good bouldering. Did you bring a crashpad? I met a local guy where we rode this weekend who said he had a big boulder field in his back yard. Said we could come up an boulder anytime. I might have to take him up on it.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
49,271
3,212
In a van.... down by the river
jdschall said:
Looks like good bouldering. Did you bring a crashpad? I met a local guy where we rode this weekend who said he had a big boulder field in his back yard. Said we could come up an boulder anytime. I might have to take him up on it.
Nope. I didn't boulder. We just messed around with the kids on the easy rocks. Next time I'll at least take shoes.

There's a $hitload of good climbing up there:

http://climbingboulder.com/rock/db/elevenmile_canyon/
 

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
4,831
0
Sleepy Hollar
Mike B. said:
Enrollment has been capped as well so when they decide they need more money or have more space they want to occupy, they'll just let some more people in. If you're in to research, they typically receive the most research money in the country.
"Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Positions Available
Faculty Openings
A search for new tenure-track faculty will begin in Fall 2005. Details will be posted in September 2005."

Excellent. Got to finish the CV....