Quantcast

Where to live

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I was looking to study abroad for college next year, and I figured that basically the only thing motivating me to decide where was what has the best DH biking. I was thinking either New Zealand or Australia. Any thoughts on cities or other countries. I mean I basically could go anywhere (something further than B.C. of course...). Any one have any ideas on cities or areas?
________
Vaporizer

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The north shore would be cool. Or LA / Santa Barbara,CA area is cool (lots of dh and Mt baldy is going to be ready by spring maybe (lift assisted dh).

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Bicyclist said:
Well since all Australians seem to rip, you should move to Australia.
Living in Australia would be a great expirence. Since the Aussies are killing it in DH and dirt jumping (for 20" anyway) right now, there has to be a ton of hot spots to ride. I say you move to Australia...mate!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
gemini2k said:
I was looking to study abroad for college next year, and I figured that basically the only thing motivating me to decide where was what has the best DH biking. I was thinking either New Zealand or Australia. Any thoughts on cities or other countries. I mean I basically could go anywhere (something further than B.C. of course...). Any one have any ideas on cities or areas?

Definately Australia :thumb:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
definately come to Aus, just dont expect 20 min DH runs
plus youll need a car to get to all the tracks since theyre usually at least an hour driv out of the city

but you can pretty much pick any major city a let it rip

hilldown

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Oroville, CA
I lived in B.C. for two years and I would love to go back there and study. I also did some back packing in OZ, thats one hell of a place. If I had some talent they needed I would move there. Cant get a work visa as a US citizen. All in all I would chose Scotland or Australia. Both are great in my book. Never been to Scotland, but I love the way it looks. Anyway, props to you for getting the chance to do this bro, thats awesome.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Last issue of Bike had an excellent article on the Black Forest in Germany......if you're into trail riding the tech stuff it sounds tops !

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
um, according to Wooody when I rode on the lift with him at Snowshoe, access to DH trails in Austrailia straight up sucks compared to most places here. I think he said something like 90% of their stuff had NO lift!

If you're going for a DH mecca, I don't think having the toughest racers qualifies your country as a riding mecca. Last time I checked, Lance Armstrong was from Texas and George Hincapie was from South Carolina and there wasn't a single guy from BC in the World Cup results!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
CBJ said:
South France close to Les Gets.
Also......the lastest issue of DIRT has a great article about a trip through France.......Alp D'Huez, Tignres, and some other place.....they wanted to go to places other than the well-known Les Gets, from what i read/heard you can do 40 minutes DH runs in theese places. In Les Gets on a good weather day you can go up and down different peaks linking multiple lifts together.......i would go on DescentWorld.uk and do some searches and ask questions of you really want to get first hand knowledge......France sounds incredible in print though.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you can get past the wierd culture, Utah has some fantastic mountain biking. Moab and Gooseberry mesa are to the south, and the entire wassatch range to the north, there's lift assisted ridding in brian head, provo canyon (although mediocre) and park city, Idaho is only a few hours away as well as Colorado. They've got some really good schools too, but that's not really as important I guess.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Cant Climb said:
Last issue of Bike had an excellent article on the Black Forest in Germany......if you're into trail riding the tech stuff it sounds tops !
the black forest is pretty cool... les gets / morzine is heaps better tho... europe is cool expect for all the euro, capri pant 'men' with gel in their hair...