Quantcast

Where to live?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well to be honest, i never looked @ real estate prices, just echoing what i'd heard. i would imagine that relative to greater boston prices, they would at least be on par, if not cheaper.

i really like portland, but i've only been there in August. that said, i was able to survive 15 months living in drizzly ireland.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
well to be honest, i never looked @ real estate prices, just echoing what i'd heard. i would imagine that relative to greater boston prices, they would at least be on par, if not cheaper.

i really like portland, but i've only been there in August. that said, i was able to survive 15 months living in drizzly ireland.
Granted, I don't know the areas and whatnot, but over 100 3/2 homes listed for under $250k.

$219,900
3 Bed, 2 Bath
1,736 Sq. Ft.
0.44 Acres
Asheville, NC 28805

Asheville is the most over priced market in North Carolina, but that being said you guys are right in that the cost of living is still less then most markets out west. As a mountain biker it is no doubt one of the best places to live in my opinion. The only thing it is missing is good lift serviced DH, and some folks are working on that. If you need the lift rides then Snowshoe is 5 hours. The trail riding in the Pisgah National Forest alone is epic (as in 900,000 acres of forest with nothing but singletrack type of epic) and that is just a small piece of the pie when it comes to places to ride in the NC mountains around Asheville.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Asheville is fabulous. I like it there alot. Burlington is pretty cool. But if I where to move anywhere in the eastern US it would either be Asheville or Frederick MD. Asheville for quality of life, then Frederick for the $$.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Asheville is fabulous. I like it there alot. Burlington is pretty cool. But if I where to move anywhere in the eastern US it would either be Asheville or Frederick MD. Asheville for quality of life, then Frederick for the $$.
Now frederick is a nice town IMO. The 'shed is some good riding. Asheville is a little big for its britches, but Brevard would be a cool place since its close. Im really liking the idea of "outside" burlington though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Now frederick is a nice town IMO. The 'shed is some good riding. Asheville is a little big for its britches, but Brevard would be a cool place since its close. Im really liking the idea of "outside" burlington though.
The lake is awesome. Burlington sits on it like Buffalo does to Erie. So I feel right at home there. Whenever I have visited I have always enjoyed myself. For the northeast you get an incredible amount of access to parks/public lands, and the water there. Just couldn't find a job that paid well enough so that I could reasonably afford to live there. Real Estate is expensive and decent rentals are hard to find.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Three Words;
Jefferson County, Colorado.

IE Denver Burbs. If I didn't love Western Ma and super super absurd amount I'd be in Portland, Oregon though. Just as many hot lesbians to make me coffee and warm my bed, and a little less cold in the winter. More in-town racing opportunites, but far less races within 3 hours than we have here.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Asheville is no longer the hip little mountain community that it was when I moved there in 2001. It used to be low key and laid back with an overall progressive outlook. Too many out of state developers have moved in and driven the cost of housing through the roof. All of the unique qualities that Asheville once had to offer have been rapidly destroyed. What drew so many newcomers to the area has been replaced by the same crap that I and most Ashevillains detest about other towns. Asheville is being turned into every other city, with an abundance of big box stores, strip malls, congestion and rude ass muther fvckers. It saddens me deeply to witness first hand the homogenous commercialization of our mountain culture and economy.

Asheville 20 years ago was a ghost town full of abandoned buildings and general urban decay. Gradually artists, crafts people, musicians and gallery owners began to buy up property. It became a haven for the arts, and saw a dramatic revitalization. Now it is over run with out of staters who have more money than taste. They have moved there in droves. I've heard too many times newcomers talking about how they can't stand southerners or mountain people yet they are hell bent on buying property there and changing the over all feel of Asheville into what they just moved from.

The housing market has gotten so out of hand in Asheville that people who were born there or been there most of their lives can no longer afford to buy a house. It's a tough pill to swallow, not being able to afford property where you were born, where your parents were born. There a families living in the area that have owned land for generations, but are forced to sell because they can no longer afford the property tax. That's fvcked up!