Quantcast

Where to put washer when installing peg?

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
On the front tire of my bike, it has a special washer with a hook that holds the wheel on in case the axle nut comes loose. The hook of the washer goes into a hole in the fork. Do I just put the peg over it so their is a space between the dropout and peg? If I put it inside the peg, it wont be able to go in that hole.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
that washer goes on the axle and into the hole on the dropout. Then your peg goes over that. I like to run a flat washer inside my peg but it's not always needed. Make sure you have enough threads on the axle after putting it together so you can tighten the nut down hard. If you don't have enough threads that the whole nut fits onto the axle, take the washer off. It's not needed if you tighten the nut/pegs down tightly.

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
Thats what I thought, but I heard that if the peg isn't flat against the dropout, then the axle will bend easier because of the small surface area that the peg is on.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The peg should be flat against the dropout or the washer that is on the dropout. Does it not fit flat?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Personally, I wouldn't/don't run those washers. I'd take them off and just run the pegs or axle nut (if you don't run pegs)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
sometimes you can put washers on the inside of the dropouts. i personally don't like it when there's a gap between the hub and the fork and tightening the wheel "pulls" the fork together. i'd rather fill up the space with some slim washers.