Quantcast

Where to Ride -BC and WA?

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
In May, I'll be visiting family out in the Sequim, WA area from Alabama. I going to spend several days biking and I'm looking for the must do rides of BC and WA. I plan on heading up to at least Whistler. I ride intermediate level XC, and would like to check out all the hype around NS stuff. Mt Ranier?

Thanks!

-Robert

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Kirkland- St eddy trail
redmond- tapeworm
Snoqualmy- tiger
and since your driving up to BC anyway you should stop in Bellingham and ride galbrith.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by HippieKai

Snoqualmy- tiger
and since your driving up to BC anyway you should stop in Bellingham and ride galbrith.
Those are definately worthy of checkin out. The Mt. Rainier trails will probably still have plenty of snow in May, but check back around the time you're in town and i'll give you a tour of one of the local trails or at least give you directions to set you up for a good ride.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
from what I've heard there's more XC trails out near Sequim than DH or FR trails so you should be able to find some nice stuff nearby. If all else fails though, take Skookum up on his offer. He knows most of the trails around by heart. Just beware that he doesn't break your collarbone like he did mine! haha :devil:

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by HippieKai

redmond- tapeworm
You mean Renton. Its located behind Phillip Arnold Park, just off 405 up on the hill above downtown. Any map of Seattle shows it.

Awesome trail, super tight and twisty. I'm sure you could find a local :monkey: to ride it with. Might make finding it a bit easier. Same with the other trails mentioned.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
Originally posted by CU-Murph
In May, I'll be visiting family out in the Sequim, WA area from Alabama. I going to spend several days biking and I'm looking for the must do rides of BC and WA. I plan on heading up to at least Whistler. I ride intermediate level XC, and would like to check out all the hype around NS stuff. Mt Ranier?

Thanks!

-Robert
Sequim eh?? Big fun there. I grew up there and theres some decent riding there. Theres a DH course in PA and in Joyce. Goto Sound bikes in Port Angeles and ask how to get there. Not too much NS type stuff in that area though.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
I was a Sequim ite (See- kwim) as well, For XC you should check out Miller Penninsula, Its a big, well... , peninsula bout 2-3 miles east of Sequim out in Gardiner. Go to Mikes Bikes and he should have some maps there.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I plan on heading up to at least Whistler. I ride intermediate level XC, and would like to check out all the hype around NS stuff.
Whistler has something for everyone, especially if you want to get into freeriding. It's a great place to learn, plus it's really fun in general, and it's only about 1 1/2 hours north of the North Shore. Warning: If you visit Whistler, you might end up moving there :) . As for the North Shore, I don't know much about it, but I pretty sure that it would be overwhelming for an intermediate XC rider. However, I think you would love Tapeworm and the other trails in Philip Arnold Park. They're very technical, but very fun. I've never been to South Seatac, but you might want to check that out. South Seatac is near Seatac Airport, a little bit south of Renton.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Wow. Surprised no one mentioned the rainforest version of Devil's Gulch. Yup, Dungeness River/Gold Creek.
Right out of Sequim and an awesome loop. Mt. Muller may be a little too much for you but is an awesome ride as well.
South of there Is Skokomish and there's some stuff father towards the coast as well. Definately hit Dungeness/Gold while there. The BBTC folks are leading a ride there may 1st and it's posted on their website www.bbtc.org. Other than that, yeah dirtworl.com and mtbr.com can steer you to ther places.
Up from AL and want the best? Why bother with Tapeworm?
Remember too that you'll be driving to get anywhere as Sequim is a long way from most of the riding around here.
Best to sample everything if you have a car. Rainforest penninsula riding, Eastern Washington Desert and the Shore. But, you will be driving and taking a ferry. A lot. Another place is Green Mountain or Banner Forest on that side of the canal and I know a few people here who know it well. So you could hook up with them for a tour. The options are endless. Picking which ones to do will be hard.

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be around the week of May 15-22. I think I make the drive up from Sequim and spend a couple of days in Whistler, and Squamish, and then work my way back down. If the snow has melted I might even try and hit Mt. Rainer and/or Mt. St. Helens. I bought a guide book, so that should help too. Hopefully I'll hit the Lower Dungeness loop the second weekend when I'm back at my relatives.

If anyone want to ride during the week, I'm game. Its never fun to ride solo. Plus, I can learn y'all true southern talken, just like Forest Gump!

Thanks!

-Robert

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
Well, got my plane tickets and upgraded my hard tail to a used Truth. I'm really looking forward to riding out there. I'll be there between May 15th-22nd. Anyone want to ride with a true southerner? I am from Alabama. ;-) During the week is when I'll be in BC.

Thanks again!

Robert

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
interesting i just rode Dungeness/Gold Creek this weekend

check this out

what a coincidence haha

i'd definately recommend hitting that trail since your so close.

On the weekend you're coming into town i'm thinking of doing a backcountry ride which involves high elevation forest road climbing, possible snow trogging, and super steep on your handlebars singletrack descent. Right next to Mt. Rainier, a better view of it than trails than the commonly know trails around there. If you're interested lemme know.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
FYI-
The name Sequim is pronounced "skwim" not "see-kwim" :)

Originally posted by bigshred
I was a Sequim ite (See- kwim) as well, For XC you should check out Miller Penninsula, Its a big, well... , peninsula bout 2-3 miles east of Sequim out in Gardiner. Go to Mikes Bikes and he should have some maps there.

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
What day do you think you'll be going out to Rainer? Sunday, if I can swing it is best for me. My limiting factor is that I planned on seeing my relatives over the weekend and then ride during the week. We'll see what happens.

How steep and tech. is the single track? Lots of roots, rocks, drop offs, switch backs, hard packed? Better yet, would it be on-line or in one of the guide books?

Thanks!

-Robert

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
What day do you think you'll be going out to Rainer? Sunday, if I can swing it is best for me.

How steep and tech. is the single track? Lots of roots, rocks, drop offs, switch backs, hard packed? Better yet, would it be on-line or in one of the guide books?

Thanks!

Yah it'll be on Sunday.

It's about as steep as you can get in some parts but you don't need a downhill bike, in fact it's a slower trail because of the turns, switchbacks, and exposure. It's technical in a classic downhill sense, not a free-ride sense. It's not in any books or online.

It's around 8 miles 2900 ft climb up fire roads, which are groomed nice and have multiple stop points for lookouts because they clearcut some areas. Bout 6 miles or so of Ridge trail, up and down old double track thru clearcut to the trailhead. Alpine trail is super skinny easy with awesome views. Then it drops down for the decent on skinny steep varying terrain singletrack. It's a challenge but don't worry, you won't die, you'll have a blast, just make sure your brakes are in good working order.;)

There's like two trail rides further up the road which i like "a little bit" better but all those are gonna have snow still. This ride is just a little bit further down the road and i'm taking a knowledgable bet we'll be safe from troggin thru too much snow.

Here's the main view rest spot on the ridge, this day was cloudy to obscure Mt. Rainier (which would fill up the right upper half of the picture).

Originally posted by Skookum
Yah it'll be on Sunday.

It's about as steep as you can get in some parts but you don't need a downhill bike, in fact it's a slower trail because of the turns, switchbacks, and exposure. It's technical in a classic downhill sense, not a free-ride sense. It's not in any books or online.

It's around 8 miles 2900 ft climb up fire roads, which are groomed nice and have multiple stop points for lookouts because they clearcut some areas. Bout 6 miles or so of Ridge trail, up and down old double track thru clearcut to the trailhead. Alpine trail is super skinny easy with awesome views. Then it drops down for the decent on skinny steep varying terrain singletrack. It's a challenge but don't worry, you won't die, you'll have a blast, just make sure your brakes are in good working order.;)

There's like two trail rides further up the road which i like "a little bit" better but all those are gonna have snow still. This ride is just a little bit further down the road and i'm taking a knowledgable bet we'll be safe from troggin thru too much snow.

Here's the main view rest spot on the ridge, this day was cloudy to obscure Mt. Rainier (which would fill up the right upper half of the picture).
Suntop??

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Suntop??
No it's not Sunnytop, to tell you the truth i've never done Suntop, but i do ride up the Buck Creek road to do the all descent section, which is called Fawn Ridge. That might be ready soon too. I ride the Noble Nob trails, a pal of mine told me it's not really worth it to ride Sunnytop if you're right there to ride the Noble Nob trails, so i never have...

The trail i've been talking about here....
I've been calling it Huckleberry Ridge. It's literally right above the town of Greenwater. It's actually a downhill trail like Deep Creek, not a descender like Fawn Ridge, Ranger Creek.

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
I know it is normally pretty wet out there, and some have suggested if it is raining to head east to Winthrop. How much rain is too much? How long does the sun or a good strong wind does it take to make the trails rideable again? At my local park, we have to wait two days.

If I have to head east, any suggestions on must do XC trails?

Thanks!

-Robert

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I know it is normally pretty wet out there, and some have suggested if it is raining to head east to Winthrop. How much rain is too much? How long does the sun or a good strong wind does it take to make the trails rideable again? At my local park, we have to wait two days.

If I have to head east, any suggestions on must do XC trails?

Thanks!

-Robert
It's a different world here, soil and trails are quite resistant to damage, along with the forest tree canopy and trail maintenance to divert standing water it's all good.
If you go to Winthrop it's a great small town. Taking Highway 20 is spectacular, and i'm sure that the Sun Mountain Lodge trails are ready. If that's where you wind up try Black Bear, and the trails that takes you to the lake on the south side (sorry can't remember the name). Also if it's open giving Lightning Creek a ride would be a fantastic option. Just go into town and there is a bike store there just down the road from an ice cream shop. (don't worry you'll find it, small town) go in there and ask for maps and/or ask if they are putting a local ride together that you can tag along.
Like i pm'd you i'm cancelling my ride at Huckleberry, but i will be riding, just haven't decided where. Lemme know if you are around the Seattle area and wanna hook up for a ride, i'll slap something together for ya.....

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
Looking at the forcast, there is minimal chance of rain this week in WA! :-) But Whistler is supposed to start raining Monday. My best bet if I wanted to ride up there is to go up there this weekend, right? Or will stuff up there stay dry enough or the rain is stactered enough ? Thanks!

-Robert