Quantcast

Where to ride DH

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Now that the white stuff is coming down, i'm wondering if anyone knows of any good winter shuttle spots. Post your favorite spots and where thery are located. Thanks.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Why you guys gotta be dicks, your almost as lame as the crew over on the mtbr forums. the kid asked a valid question. Why not help him out

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
snowskilz said:
Why you guys gotta be dicks, your almost as lame as the crew over on the mtbr forums. the kid asked a valid question. Why not help him out
Lol, which people are lame on mtbr? Besides half the DH forum of course.... :p

Palmer Park in the springs has some fun dh trails that can be even more exciting in the snow. Of course it is rideable to get up or 'shuttlable' of course. ;)

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Yeah spomer usually sticks to the really well known ones like Apex and White Ranch. And only on weekends too.

But for real man, let's face it. There is no DHing in Colorado especially in the winter time. There are a few people who have extremely secret and privately owned spots but good luck on getting them to tell you where they are. If I were you, I would sell your DH rig and use that money to buy a hardtail and a pair of boards.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
DHblur said:
Yeah spomer usually sticks to the really well known ones like Apex and White Ranch. And only on weekends too.

But for real man, let's face it. There is no DHing in Colorado especially in the winter time. There are a few people who have extremely secret and privately owned spots but good luck on getting them to tell you where they are. If I were you, I would sell your DH rig and use that money to buy a hardtail and a pair of boards.

No one's trying to be a Dick, but like Brendon says ,there's no DH in Colorado etc...Sorry but the BLM here is shutting us down.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i know theres a shuttle trail up outsite of boulder, havent hit it yet, but i know its there, Also theres the shuttle down in the springs which is pretty fun. And then theres the one up in idaho springs. Theres always lots of trails to ride no matter where you live, you just have to know the right ppl to find them. Why cant you guys just b cool and help the dood out, i bought land in evergreen built a bunch of stunts on it and invited ppl up. Too bad now its under 3 feet of snow or id be riding it today.

Riding local open space is a very bad idea, once and a while we will do it but it has to be done at the right time or else you could be hitting xc doods or runnin over hikers which doesnt go over very well.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
DHblur said:

AK enemys are getting mounted up right now. I'll be ready to rock this winter.

B-Steamboat Jackson trip...you in? Wolf Creek before the end of December...

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Riding local open space is a very bad idea, once and a while we will do it
see that's what makes the most sense of all w/ all you guys...the public xc trail thing is a bad idea, you all admit that it's a bad idea, yet you still do it AND you then tell the internet lurkers you do it.

THEN you guys go and tell everyone who asks where all the secret trails are...even if it's not specifics, you get 'em started so they go find the ****. so now, these trails get destroyed by dorks and get shutdown by injuries and leave the hardworking people who build the trails with NOTHING to ride, but that's cool b/c you got to ride twice.

the first rule on this board should be "nobody is allowed to ask where private trails are."

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Spomer said it truthfully. Snowskilz, you can't expect someone to disclose where privately owned stuff is. People have gone to great lengths to convince land owners to let them ride on their property even though it is a huge liability risk, and the last thing people want is everybody and their brother up there. The most of the stuff in the places that you mentioned is privately owned and is on an invite-only basis.

Unfortunately in our state you can't just "help a dood out." We learned our lesson two summers ago when more than 5 DH spots got shut down for that exact reason. One of them being possibly the best shuttle spot to grace this country. Get in with the right people and you might get lucky to be one of 10 or 15 people to know where a DH spot is but a public message board is not the place to do it.

I stick to my previous statement, buy a pair of boards and a hardtail.

Jeff, I may be in on the Steamboat/Jackson trip. At least steamboat. My aunt owns that huge condo/house so we can probably get in on that for a weekend.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yeah, I'm sitting in weather and atmosphere, we're talking about tornados. Do you know where a "hook echo" would be found? Me neither.

Spomer, I shuttled a public XC trail, never had any problems but foresaw problems happening. I did it not out of selfishness but to help demonstrate the demand for such a trail on the front range. Idealogical thinking at its best. I dont shuttle public XC stuff anymore nor have the desire to. It doesn't do anything for you.

Oh snap, another "clicker question"..."The Storm Prediction Center would issu a BLANK when conditions are favorabel for formation of tornadoes." I say "Tornado Watch"...so "B".

Continuing, winter means if you have a moto ride it, if you have a hardtail, jump it and for God's sake if you have a pair of skis RIP IT!

Plan a trip to Boulder City if you want DH...or move to Australia...

B-I think I can hook up free lift tix for us.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Not to mention I rode gold hill once, and worked there on the trails one solid day...see a correlation here?

I figure its time to think out of the box. We aren't getting DH trails anytime soon. Better cross train like I said...SKI, MOTO, RIDE XC!

Duplicate post...I know....

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yep, that's right, three posts in a row by me.

Spomer, I just wanted to say one more thing. If you or anybody that has been around the scene for awhile sees a problem with anything I'm doing and point it out to me, I have the respect to at least consider their point of view and stop.

Basically MT told me what's up, why my thinking was wrong in shuttleing any of these local spots and you know what? He was right, I'm done.

I personally think a lot can be learned on any trail by just getting an XC BIKE AND RIDING IT like normal!

(or better yet a rigid single speed)

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i'm not trying to be the nazi, but like we all know, those who've worked hard (for private dh trails OR getting public xc trails) are getting their stuff shut down or wrecked, left and right...because downhill bikes can only be ridden 3 months out of the year at the lifts in colorado.

i care about the people who devote their lives to this stuff. they deserve to ride it if they've worked for it and no one else does if they don't say so. i want to protect what they've done.

i do not care about the rider looking for a rush who feels bad that their $3000 bike sits around during the winter.

with trails it should be common sense and respect, right? don't f- up what you didn't make. if you get permission, great, but keep it to yourself. if it's a public trail, respect the rules and other users because someone probably devoted more time and effort (and redtape) into getting that trail open too.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I'm sorry if i gave out the general area of some shuttleable trails. And yes on the rare occasion we will shuttle public xc trails but only when their is 0 ppl on the trails. Bc if you will be stopping every 5 seconds if ppl are on the trail.

I have only lived here a little over a year and did not know about the prior scene being shut down, that really blows. What i do know is that i came from Pa and there was tons of shuttleable stuff, with a whopping 800 vertical feet of elevation.

There has to be shuttable trails in this area, we have 1000 feet elevation gain in just a few miles, take apex trail for example 1000 feet vertical over a 3.3 mile stretch thats great stuff. Im not asking for everyone to post up where their "secret spot" is. Just help a brother out, For example Spomer you may know of 3 trails that are shuttleable, lets ride one day, if you think im cool enough then show me the trails, if you think im gonna bring 50 billion 12 yr olds up to shuttle it, dont show it to me. Cool?

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i don't even live there anymore, LOL. it just always hits home when this stuff comes up.

i wouldn't tell my closest riding friends about any trail i knew about in colorado... even if i was about to be shot in the face. i hope they wouldn't tell me if they knew either. it's just come to that.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Heres a pic of some of the stuff we built up at my land.
just cruised your gallery. within a year you will have 500 people showing up uninvited, so get ready to chain your stuff up when you're not there because you'll wonder how they found out about it.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
©2001 said:
just cruised your gallery. within a year you will have 500 people showing up uninvited, so get ready to chain your stuff up when you're not there because you'll wonder how they found out about it.
Come spring time there will be a chain up on the big drop, but i will be building my house about 30 ft to the left of what i posted so i wont have to worry too much about unwanted ppl on my shiz

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
AusRottenVirus said:
Now that the white stuff is coming down, i'm wondering if anyone knows of any good winter shuttle spots. Post your favorite spots and where thery are located. Thanks.
You must be new to the local dh scene.
That's a joke, see? Local dh scene? There isn't much of one anymore.
If you have local shuttle trails, keep them to yourself. Then you might get to ride them for a season before they get shut down.
Good luck.

P.S. Shawn, you're getting allmost as sinical as I am!

Mar 29, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
i sell cell phone i sell cell phones i sell cell phones i sell cell phones i sell cell phones....

sorry, I was hypnotized by your autosig.

come winter time front range shuttles are going to be the only way to keep up on the skills. Fortunatly, Todd (Snowskilz) has already had people poach his land, who actually turned out to be some cool guys to ride with...go figure.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
You guys think you have it tight, I actually live in Steamboat. We have a 4 month winter w/ another 2 months down on either end of the ski season. Then we get another 1 - 4 weeks of rain/snow/crap on either end of the 2 months... At least you guys have concrete to go play on on 2 wheels. Unless I get up at 6:00am and push my bike up the ski area for a snow run, I don't ride DH all winter unless I go to Fruita/Moab. I have a 2001 Karpiel Army that can pass for new.
With that said, cross train w/ a pair of skis is not a bad alternative ;)
BTW, last Sun was speechless. I was pressing glass at 7:00am, 2nd Gondi cart up, 9th chair up to the top, and 4th track down the lift line (Tornado for those of you who know the area). It was ball deep and boiling over the shoulders. I can do a post for CO locals the night before if depth is expected :D
Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Yeah I saw a picture of Tornado or Buddy's one on the day they opened up storm peak and I was freaking out. Winter Park and Copper are nothing like that right now. It's just the Steamboat way... no snow and then all of the sudden they'll be on top of the race. <highjacked thread>

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
dude, I'm broke. Well, actually my truck broke which made me broke. GRRRR! We'll see though. Let's definitely go to steamboat sometime in january!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Who ever said anything about money. If you can afford a day of skiing and some gas the rest is taken care of. I met a hott (that's hot with two ts) girl from Park City. I am going to merry her.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
J and B, You guys interested in going someplace warm to ride after finals (Thurs 12/16-Sun 12/19)? I was thinking Moab or something of the sort, slalom bikes/XC Bikes...... let me know.

303-886-1130

Howse