Quantcast

where to ride in america

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
ok so im new to this and i apologize if this topic is in the wrong section.

anyway next year me and a couple of mates are coming to the states for a month and we are planning to go from colorado to north carolina and doing some riding but as i've never been there before i was wondering if you could suggest some riding spots, also could you give me some advice on where im aloud to ride regarding the law because in this country we are only aloud to ride on bridleways and the cops in our contry dont have guns so i dont realy want to start pissing your cops off.

cheers

jason

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
There's an overwhelming amount of riding in this country...

Where in the US are you going, and what kind of riding are you looking for?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Colorado has insane riding all over the place, but Steamboat Springs and Golden are my favorites. As for other spots to ride, howbout Moab? It is overhyped but still unlike anything you will ever run into in England or Europe/ Asia/ India/ Africa, ect. But you may want to post in the regional forums, they will be better able to tell you what trails are good and when to ride them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Start in Las Vegas; ride Bootleg Canyon. Head to Utah, 2 hours away, and ride the Virgin/Zion Park area and Brian Head...PM me if you need a riding contact out there. This place is NOT to be missed. Best US riding, ever, IMHO. Check out Moab, then hit Colorado. Fruita is a CO destination; Durango has great riding, so does Crested Butte...I'm sure the CO monkeys can tell you more about what's there.

If you're driving across the country, if you're headed on the northern route, I've heard Michigan and Minnesota have some decent trails...if you're staying southern, I've been told Austin, TX is fun.

In North Carolina, PISGAH. Bent Creek is nearby and nice, and Tsali can be a great time, too. (Butter-smooth, but fast and fun)

If you have the option, I'd start the trip in Southern California, hit some trails there, then drive to Vegas, maybe even doing a desert ride in Palm Springs on the way out.

Really depends on what you want to ride, though...are you looking for cross-country stuff? Downhill/lift assist? Technical? Huge epic rides?

Edit: I also didn't include the Pacific Northwest, just because of the itinerary you gave...but if you have the flexibility, well...just run a search for any of Skookum's riding pictures here, and leave some space on the floor for your jaw to hit when you look at them.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you really need to state what kind of riding you'll be doing and when you're coming.

As for the law, don't worry about. If a cop tells you to stop doing what you're doing, stop and they'll leave you alone. Unless you're "breaking" the law for safety reasons, then explain it to the cop.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Plus, if you have an English accent, you can get away with just about anything.

If you are going to be around Bracknell in the third week of the june, drop me a line. I'll be in the UK on business and I always try to get a ride in.