Quantcast

where to ride in San Diego?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I just got a new position with my company and will be relocating to our San Diego office at the end of this month. Where should I ride in San Diego? I'll be living somewhere in North County, and I know almost nothing about the area, but my impression is that I have to head east into the desert to find any real hills/mountains. I have a 5-inch travel 29er trail bike as well as a DH bike, and I'm open to ride pretty much any type of trail. Except for trails filled with gap jumps. Because gap jumps are scary.

Thanks.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
gap jumps are fun. i started a thread just like this a while ago and didnt get much help.

i did end up riding blacks beach. stay away from it and go find other places.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
PM me sometime, I can start showing you around if you'd like. What part of North County?

There is a ton of trail riding around Poway, Escondido, Carlsbad areas as well as the old standby's like Noble Canyon, Anderson and the stuff closer out to the desert. if you think gap jumps are scary, you probably won't find much you want to ride your DH bike on honestly, most of the "DH trails" i've ridden down here are littered with them, and all the "non-jump trails" you could clear on a DJ or XC bike if you have halfway decent bike handling skills. My buddy has a Stumpy 29er and rides EVERYthing down here, i'm on a puny 26" Carbine and sold my DH bike cause I can still clear all the stuff i'm comfortable riding on. Get ready for steep climbs and rocky descents...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Not a loc, but my parents do live down in east county and I know of a few trails that way. Kinda far from North County though. Also if you're north enough you might want to check out some riding in the Irvine/Laguna Beach area.