Quantcast

Where to ride on NY vacation?

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Hello NY Monkies!

I will be in Windham, NY this summer & am looking to plan a vacation to Niagara Falls around that trip. So, we are wondering if there are any places that would be along the route that we would want to ride.

So, NY Monkies, do you have any suggestions of spots that we would absolutely need to ride if we are out that way?

Thanks!!!

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I am definately more into DH than regular XC. I was thinking about Plattekill, but I'm not sure that's the best option... there's a couple of concerns:

I'm not very experienced at Bike-park riding so I'm not very confident that my skills are quite there yet. My more experienced friends keep telling me I need to go to Highland with them, but I think they are more confident in my skills than I am.

Also, It looks like the lifts at Plattekill are only open on Saturday & Sunday. We would almost definately be riding later in the week. So, is Plattekill still worth it without lift-access?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
depends on the week. certain holidays they'll tag on a few days to their calender. i think last year they were open the entire week leading up to the world cup.

and don't let the fact that its a "bike park" deter you. there's trails there for all ability levels.

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Looks good. I think we may go there the day after the Warrior Dash... that way we'll have lift access. Otherwise we'll be there during the week...

Thanks!

Anywhere else that we may want to ride on the way home?

Last edited:

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Beth, if you go to Platty, let me know. I've been thinking maybe I need to give downhill mtb another try now that I've got a few more years of riding under my belt... and maybe someplace a little less intense than Whiteface to get started will make for a better experience. I'll try to join you if my schedule works out with yours!! (not that WF was a *bad* experience, mind you, but I was in WAY over my head up there!) :)

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
How far are you looking to travel for good riding?
Don't know yet... we are currently in the planning stages. Since we don't know a lot about what there is in NY, I'm just trying to gather the info necessary to make a decision. If it was somewhere that was so amazing that we just shouldn't miss it, we'd probably give it a higher priority and be willing to add in more driving time.

Why? Whatcha got in mind?

Beth, if you go to Platty, let me know.
You got it!

RKStar

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011
It's not downhill, but Saratoga has miles of sweet technical (i.e. rocky, rooty) singletrack in a beautiful setting. Here's the link:
http://www.saratogamtb.org/index.php?page_id=96

The town of Saratoga is worth visiting itself. Great old Main street with nice shops, restaurants, etc..

It's about an 60-75 min drive from Windham.

There is also Whiteface Mt. in Lake Placid, NY if your up for a drive.

Enjoy!

RKStar

Last edited:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Not too far from Windham - I'd say ride Jockey Hill in Kingston, Stewart in Newburgh, Yukon Ridge/Kennedy in Lenox (mass), SMBA (saratoga)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Don't know yet... we are currently in the planning stages. Since we don't know a lot about what there is in NY, I'm just trying to gather the info necessary to make a decision. If it was somewhere that was so amazing that we just shouldn't miss it, we'd probably give it a higher priority and be willing to add in more driving time.

Why? Whatcha got in mind?

You got it!
Tour de le Capital Region (SMBA, Colonie, Luther Forest, Central Park) and if you're up for an epic climb Spier :)