Quantcast

"..where white people and black people buy furniture"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Holy crap this is funny! this is a furniture store in the city where i work (furniture capital of the world) http://www.highpointmarket.org/

here's the original commercial:

and of course their response to the claims of racism

The racial reconciliation concept was a joint effort between the Red House staff and us. They pointed out the fact that their employees and customer base were like the "Rainbow Coalition", and we thought something with a comical racial reconciliation theme would be fun, as well as a conversation starter.

For those of you who think this video is racist, we'd like you to distinguish between "racist" and "racial". Racism is "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races." Racial is "of, relating to, or based on a race". This video is very obviously racial as opposed to racist. This video doesn't promote or feature hatred or intolerance. Rather, it's the very opposite. This commercial promotes inclusion and reconciliation, if not in a comical way. To point out the obvious, the irony in this video is that it's completely ridiculous for people to relate furniture to their race. People of all colors are welcome at the Red House, which is something that is taken for granted today, but there was a time in the not-so-recent past during which things as simple as a water fountain were NOT for everyone.

If Saturday Night Live, Mad TV, or Dave Chappelle for that matter, were to address racial issues in a comical way (something that they all do VERY regularly), they would have pushed the envelope MUCH further.

Discussing race in the US is taboo. It always makes people feel uncomfortable. We think it's a shame that someone saying "I'm white" or "I'm black" creates such a stir. There are real cultural identities within different people groups, and these things should be celebrated and embraced, not swept under the rug.

This video is an attempt to use humor to spark a discussion about race issues, because we still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's some funny shiz. :rofl:

Although, I think it would have been a lot funnier if the black guy was in white face and the white guys were in black face. And there was an Irish dude dressed as a Leprechaun trying to pay with a pot of gold.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
What a bunch of hybrid hilly billy ****tards.
dude.. you have to admit that is some clever marketing. i know the guys that put it on and they're pretty hip and amusing to hang with. not your typical stuffy furniture folk.
and the characters in the commercial are pretty indicative of the local working class...just some good hard working folks.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
dude.. you have to admit that is some clever marketing.
So clever, it was on CNN Friday Night. It was on in the Restaurant I was at but no sound. I had already seen the video and people were looking at me funny because I was cracking up a saying, "I'm black and I shop here" "I'm white and I shop here"

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
dude.. you have to admit that is some clever marketing. i know the guys that put it on and they're pretty hip and amusing to hang with. not your typical stuffy furniture folk.
and the characters in the commercial are pretty indicative of the local working class...just some good hard working folks.
Dude - you hang out at the furniture store???

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
leave it up to a store in the south to come up with an ad like that. i don't find it racist in any way. i wouldn't call it funny, just a really bad ad. they had the right intention to try to make it light hearted like SNL or MadTV would, but trying to make a real ad for a real company with that idea in mind just didn't make it. people know when they watch SNL or Mad that it's supposed to be in a comedic sense, no one expects a real company to do that which is where the problem lies. i'll give em credit for the idea but there are still way too many people that are real PC types that will just never get it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Dude - you hang out at the furniture store???
high point IS one big furniture store!

The High Point Market is the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world, bringing more than 85,000 people to High Point every six months. Serious retail home furnishings buyers can be found in High Point twice a year because if you can’t find it in High Point…it probably doesn’t exist.

Current Demographics:

* 188 Buildings
* 12 Million Square Feet of Showspace
* 85,000 Attendees Each Market
* More Than 2000 Exhibitors
* 110 Countries Represented
* Tens of Thousands of New Product Introductions
* Approximately 10% of Attendees Are International
http://www.highpointmarket.org/AboutMarket_MarketFacts.aspx

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Sorry, but the commercial is just not funny. It could have worked as a comedy sketch, but it would still need better execution. As it is, it's awkward and doesn't come across as a joke. Instead it reads as a sad attempt to quell racist suspicion. It's like they are making a half-assed attempt to suppress some sort of negative publicity that their store may have garnered.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry, but the commercial is just not funny. It could have worked as a comedy sketch, but it would still need better execution. As it is, it's awkward and doesn't come across as a joke. Instead it reads as a sad attempt to quell racist suspicion. It's like they are making a half-assed attempt to suppress some sort of negative publicity that their store may have garnered.
you must be a transplant to the south ;)

edit: i don't see it as an attempt to quell racist suspicion, i see it for what it is: a tongue-in-cheek poke at the usual furniture crowd. twice a year the rich-white-male population increases by about 80k and everything is very exclusive. this is a smaller "blue collar" furniture store that sits right in the middle of the high-class furniture dealers and i think this is their shout-out to all of the regular people who like to buy furniture in this city.
i think you're digging too deep AMS.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
leave it up to a store in the south to come up with an ad like that. i don't find it racist in any way. i wouldn't call it funny, just a really bad ad. they had the right intention to try to make it light hearted like SNL or MadTV would, but trying to make a real ad for a real company with that idea in mind just didn't make it. people know when they watch SNL or Mad that it's supposed to be in a comedic sense, no one expects a real company to do that which is where the problem lies. i'll give em credit for the idea but there are still way too many people that are real PC types that will just never get it.
yet the ad is working to bring in new customers.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
heck yeah! and i can still pull a sub 24 minute 3 mile run :D
Vinegar or tomato?

Actually, that is pretty impressive. I'm guessing your partner isn't in the same boat, but who knows. I was most taken with the white furniture salesman's gut. It is rare that you see such an otherwise normal looking person with a perfectly shaped and rather large beer/bbq gut!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Vinegar or tomato?

Actually, that is pretty impressive. I'm guessing your partner isn't in the same boat, but who knows. I was most taken with the white furniture salesman's gut. It is rare that you see such an otherwise normal looking person with a perfectly shaped and rather large beer/bbq gut!
Don't make fun of that guy.
He has dickie do syndrome.
His belly pokes out further than his dickie do.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Vinegar or tomato?

nah, partner broke his foot chasing a dude 2 years back and hasn't been able to run very well since....not like he was much for running anyway. i take pleasure in snagging folks that run from me when they gas out after 1/4 mile :D

i'd be a pretty trim athletic build if i didn't like to eat so much....i work out SO i can eat :D

and yes, "10 gauge" is your typical hunters build. he's in his 40's though.