Quantcast

Where's the best place to stay in Utah?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Trying to plan a snowboarding trip to Utah next month for 10 or so friends. I'm looking on forrentbyowner but having never been there before I'm enlisting the help of fellow monkies. Is it better (cheaper) to get a condo that's centralized so that we can hit up a bunch of resorts or just pick one resort and get a place there? Thanks.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The two times I was there we stayed at the Best Western in Midvale. Not bad. There are also some better deals to be had in SLC with bus access to all resorts or rental car.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Trying to plan a snowboarding trip to Utah next month for 10 or so friends. I'm looking on forrentbyowner but having never been there before I'm enlisting the help of fellow monkies. Is it better (cheaper) to get a condo that's centralized so that we can hit up a bunch of resorts or just pick one resort and get a place there? Thanks.
A few questions, from a local:

A) What are you looking for in a ski trip?

B) What level boarders are you?

C) What do you like to ride?

These all affect what I'd suggest. You've pretty much got two options - place in Salt Lake, or place in Park City. If you're more of a "core" rider group, I'd definitely suggest staying in Salt Lake and hitting up the resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons. Better terrain and snow than in Park City, as well as better accessibility to the Ogden Valley hills (Snowbasin and PowMow). A spot in Salt Lake will be affordable and give you a lot of latitude with variety (Park City is still only 30-40 minutes out).

If you're more into the resort-town ski trip with great nightlife and amenities, Park City is where you should end up. I work at one of the two boarder-accessible resorts there (The Canyons, Park City MR being the other). The riding isn't quite as challenging and the snow isn't as good, but much more forgiving with more to offer if you're a group of blue-level riders. The Canyons and PCMR are within 10 minutes of each other, so staying at either resort isn't going to be a hassle, though it will be spendier than finding a condo in town. PCMR is going to be the more enjoyable place to stay if you so choose to stay at a resort, IMHO...much closer to the sights and sounds of Park City. Hell, there's a lift into Main St. The Canyons is kind of on the outskirts.

I'm not a very good source on WHERE to find a place for a reasonable price, but I know a number of the resorts run great combo deals on lodging/passes if you look hard. I'd be happy to show you around when you get out here.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
snowpine lodge is worth a look. it's at the base of alta, but it's just a couple miles up the road from snowbird.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
A few questions, from a local:

A) What are you looking for in a ski trip?

B) What level boarders are you?

C) What do you like to ride?

These all affect what I'd suggest. You've pretty much got two options - place in Salt Lake, or place in Park City. If you're more of a "core" rider group, I'd definitely suggest staying in Salt Lake and hitting up the resorts in the Cottonwood Canyons. Better terrain and snow than in Park City, as well as better accessibility to the Ogden Valley hills (Snowbasin and PowMow). A spot in Salt Lake will be affordable and give you a lot of latitude with variety (Park City is still only 30-40 minutes out).

If you're more into the resort-town ski trip with great nightlife and amenities, Park City is where you should end up. I work at one of the two boarder-accessible resorts there (The Canyons, Park City MR being the other). The riding isn't quite as challenging and the snow isn't as good, but much more forgiving with more to offer if you're a group of blue-level riders. The Canyons and PCMR are within 10 minutes of each other, so staying at either resort isn't going to be a hassle, though it will be spendier than finding a condo in town. PCMR is going to be the more enjoyable place to stay if you so choose to stay at a resort, IMHO...much closer to the sights and sounds of Park City. Hell, there's a lift into Main St. The Canyons is kind of on the outskirts.

I'm not a very good source on WHERE to find a place for a reasonable price, but I know a number of the resorts run great combo deals on lodging/passes if you look hard. I'd be happy to show you around when you get out here.
I'm more of a intermediate/advanced rider, though the vast majority of guys I'm going with are beginner/intermediate.

Looking to ride at a couple of spots but also a place to come home to that's close to bars so that we can get s#itfaced.

Personally I like trees and steeps. Not much of a fan of park stuff...though I just learned how to ride switch three days ago.

And I'll definitely take you up on that offer to show us around!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If you want to hit some good resorts that aren't as busy as the main ones in the SLC area, you could hit up Snow Basin or Powder Mountain. Basin is big, has high speed gondola's, and the best sh!tters in utah.
Powder Mountain isn't as big, but you can go out there a week after a snow storm and still find tons of fresh powder. The terrain isn't too hard out there either. It's not as packed as a lot of the other places either. they are great for intermediate riders. You could find a place in Ogden, which is only about 30 minutes from either resort.
The SLC and Park City resorts are awesome too. Up North we aren't as busy as those resorts, and we have some good stuff too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you like all of the stinkin hippies..........
And six hour drives to get to snow. And gaper parades. And less snow.

Skied 15 inches of fresh yesterday at Alta, rode in a foot of freshies at The Crapyons today. Three feet expected over the weekend for the Cottonwoods.

Permanent faceshot, bitches!

But yeah. Sounds like you should stay in PC. Spend a day at PCMR and then head over to Snowbird for the real riding. A day at 'basin or PowMow can't hurt, either.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
might ask over at... http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And six hour drives to get to snow. And gaper parades. And less snow.

Skied 15 inches of fresh yesterday at Alta, rode in a foot of freshies at The Crapyons today. Three feet expected over the weekend for the Cottonwoods.

Permanent faceshot, bitches!

But yeah. Sounds like you should stay in PC. Spend a day at PCMR and then head over to Snowbird for the real riding. A day at 'basin or PowMow can't hurt, either.
:stupid: Utah's SOOOO much better than CO. Go to Utah. :thumb:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'll take hippies over mormons any day. :p
There are a lot of Mormons out here, but at least a ton of the mormon girls are attractive. there's no such thing as an attractive hippy. Just a stinky, hairy dirty hippie.
Seriously, you'll be surprised how many hot girls are in Utah. Plus, the snow out here rocks, even when us local people think it sucks. We're spoiled.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
:stupid: Utah's SOOOO much better than CO. Go to Utah. :thumb:
No! CO is clearly the best option, EVERYONE GO TO CO! Nothing to see here in Utah, move along...

I agree with Blue, with your riding level and your desire to hit the town, stay in Park City. The Cottonwoods are only 40 minutes away and the Park City mountains don't get their access shut off by avalanche control so you can always travel. Snowbasin can be really fun, I love Solitude, but there's a lot of traversing to the goods if you're on a board, and Snowbird is an expert's wet dream. The Canyons is huge, and you should get a place as close to Park City downtown as you can. There's free buses that run in PC, which is fantastic and the town is as fun as Utah gets.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Hey Utah guys...how is the snow in April? I don't have time to go during Feb. and March is locked up. Is it good enough to still head up?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hey Utah guys...how is the snow in April? I don't have time to go during Feb. and March is locked up. Is it good enough to still head up?
April's gonna be a crapshoot. Coverage will probably be good... but you'll likely not experience "classic" Utah powder. Although you could get lucky. The earlier in the month you go the better.

April is actually probably a better bet in Colorado.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
We haven't had a whole ton of snow this year. Not like the last two years. If we don't get pounded, april won't be that great.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
So basically keep an eye on snow levels and if nothing really blows in in March then postpone till next year?

How soon does the snow usually start falling? Is December too early to come out?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
April's gonna be a crapshoot. Coverage will probably be good... but you'll likely not experience "classic" Utah powder. Although you could get lucky. The earlier in the month you go the better.

April is actually probably a better bet in Colorado.
In April you're better off sticking to the Cottonwood Canyon resorts. Park City will suck at that point.

So basically keep an eye on snow levels and if nothing really blows in in March then postpone till next year?

How soon does the snow usually start falling? Is December too early to come out?
If you come early April, there will be plenty of snow at the SLC resorts. Aand in regards to the second question...it's completely random. There are times when Snowbird has a 70 inch base by Turkey Day, and times when (like this year) there's no substantial natural base until January. The prime time to come is going to be mid-late January to March.