Quantcast

where's the Bromont 2009 thread?!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I don't feel bad for Sam as he only took 6 practice runs all weekend.
I can't speak for Sam but I believe that was an attempt at self preservation....he's pretty sick, and I think he was trying not to beat himself up and save it for the race....If you're insinuating that he only did 6 runs out of laziness or cockiness I'm pretty sure you're waaaayyy off track.

Edit: just saw the above post....stupid iPhone

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks for the coverage freecaster! Happy to see Barrel and Gwin do so well. Looking forward to the next round.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Mitch's pass in the semis was mint. not to retatrt the EC/Mitch controversy from earlier in the year but he definitely showed a lot of control/class to stick that pass without cleaning the other guy out when he easily could have.

Haderer in 7th/8th too, sick!!

Agreed. He made that pass really on the transition between the big doubles where he stayed lower and got a crank in on the other dude, and then to cap it off by only nudging him out with his tires was sick! And thats not even to mention how insane that first right hand corner was and how he slid into it and hooked up instantly!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Top 10 speed trap
Speed L_Name PLace
----------------------
50.585 KOVARIK 8
50.069 BEAUMONT 12
49.746 HANNAH 6
49.113 BLENKINSOP 13
48.89 HART 63
48.868 SIMMONDS 22
48.758 MASTERS 32
48.736 ATHERTON 4
48.561 PEAT 7
48.517 BRYCELAND 9

Top 10 to split 1
Secs L_Name Place
------------------------------
69.17 MINNAAR 1
69.32 HILL 3
69.72 PEAT 7
70.17 ATHERTON 4
70.3 KOVARIK 8
70.7 BAREL 2
70.79 HANNAH 6
71.12 GWIN 5
71.19 BEAUMONT 12
71.24 FAIRCLOUGH 10

Top 10 to Split2
Secs L_Name Place
118.37 MINNAAR 1
118.53 BAREL 2
118.91 ATHERTON 4
118.95 HILL 3
119.7 GWIN 5
119.87 PEAT 7
119.89 HANNAH 6
120.56 KOVARIK 8
121.57 BRYCELAND 9
121.72 ATKINSON 15

Top 10 split2 - split1
Secs L_Name Place
47.83 BAREL 2
48.58 GWIN 5
48.74 ATHERTON 4
49.1 HANNAH 6
49.2 MINNAAR 1
49.63 HILL 3
49.72 BRYCELAND 9
49.76 BLENKINSOP 13
50.15 PEAT 7
50.16 STRAIT 16

Top 10 Final - split2
Secs L_Name Place
33.28 MINNAAR 1
33.33 HILL 3
33.36 GWIN 5
33.43 HANNAH 6
33.57 BLENKINSOP 13
33.58 BAREL 2
33.61 PEAT 7
33.67 FAIRCLOUGH 10
33.77 ATHERTON 4
33.84 PASCAL 14

Top 10 Final-split1
Secs L_Name Place
81.41 BAREL 2
81.94 GWIN 5
82.48 MINNAAR 1
82.51 ATHERTON 4
82.53 HANNAH 6
82.96 HILL 3
83.33 BLENKINSOP 13
83.76 PEAT 7
83.87 BRYCELAND 9
84.11 PASCAL 14

Top 10 Top+Bottom
Secs L_Name Place
102.45 MINNAAR 1
102.65 HILL 3

103.33 PEAT 7
103.94 ATHERTON 4
104.18 KOVARIK 8
104.22 HANNAH 6
104.28 BAREL 2
104.48 GWIN 5
104.91 FAIRCLOUGH 10
105.19 BEAUMONT 12

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Looks like Matti has a fractured collar bone and pelvis and might be able to be back for Schladming. What a bummer.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Pisser (once again!!!) about Matti. I can't wait until he has a season w/o injury - he could do some serious damage to the competition instead! Hope he has yet another successful recovery. Man, I feel for that guy.

As far as the WC season goes, Schladming is definitely going to be edge-of-your-seat stuff. Can't wait!!! It would be sick if Peaty were racing that one in a rainbow jersey, wouldn't it? COME...ON...PEATY!!!!!!!!!!

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Bromont DH Observations:

Well like the sometimes insightful, sometimes dribbling insight you get over at RacerX once a week, I thought maybe it's time to right down some of me own dribble and post it up where all the big players hang-out, Ridemonkey. Round 7 Bromont, rocks, rocks rocks. Lots of Aussie "locals" just there for the waterpark and and local talent for summer. short track, tightest times. Edge of seat stuff.

Lets start at the start woth the Chicks/Girls/Ladies/Lesbians, Sabrina Jonnier puts almost 3secs into 2nd place Floza Pugin and in the process wraps up the series with one round left. Must people don't care about the ladies, but racings racing and Sabrina got the job done again with 5 out 6 rounds going to her so far, which is pretty dominant domination, also worth a note is that here time was good enough for 73rd in the mens, beating a couple of guys who had clean runs...umm Girls beating boys....ohhh balls! Sabrina was also sick too, maybe she was reliveing old times behind the bike shed with the 3rd place Mens finisher? Maybe not, Peat was sick too who knows, can't see a bike shed bike enough to hide those 3 heavy hitters. It was also another French front power show over in Frenchy Canada, yet again, with 3 of the top 5 having no problems ordering whiskeys at the bar come shindig time. The non-Francos on the podium where fastest qualifier Tracy Mosely and Mio Suemasa, T-mo showed some of here previous form in Quali but yet again she didn't live up to her past yet again. At least this time she didn't stack. Mio showed her technical abilites like usual, and if she out wayed some of the dudes like Sabo does then maybe she'd be unstoppable.

Mens DH:

This could take a while, lots to dribble about, lots of gossip. Big egos, close times, loose riding and tight racing. We'll do it different then the girls, start from the bottom and work my way up! Even though Warner won't talk about them, the up and comers or maybe call them the OTAers, from 80th up to 50th, always provide a story or two but only if you look hard enough. Well the 3 DNF's of the weekend didn't look like they had fun, Canadian Kyle Marshal got the Pringles out and went flying, knocking him self out in the process! Wasn't pretty! Seems it's a case of "once you pop, you can't stop" for MAtti Lehikoinen too as he organised him self a nice highside after the rocks and went down hard, rumour has it, he's broken/injured coller bone and pelvis, which will be another few months out for an already skinny Matti, how he'll deal with this latest set back psychologically is beyond me, but after crashing in MSA and now braking himself again, whoknows what his game plan will be after this one? A rally career seems to be the think to do if ya can't get broken anymore...and he is Finnish too. Here's wishing MAtti all the best in his recovery.

75th Place Rhys Willemse, had another big one in his race run, the 13th Place finisher from MAribor is one of Australia's top juniors and a serious talent, after solid results all season and the stunner in MAribor, a big ol highside in MSA took him out of racing there. coming back in Bromont a crash left him way down the field and out of the running for the Junior overall (which Danny Hart looks like he is gonna take), but the big one for these Aussie juniors is a home World Champs win, so watch out for Rhys, Shaun O'Conner, Tam Murrell and a few others to get wild in Canberra in 4 weeks! Remeber there hasn't been an Aussie Mens Junior World Champion since Amiel Cavalier in 2005. Hunger? Speaking of Danny Hart, although he still ahs the Junior overall jersey he finished a pretty lowly 63rd place, bet pretty comprehensivly by 7 other Juniors, with Kiwi kid George Brannigan being top junior finisher in his 2nd ever World Cup.....he's won a few Kiwi junior national races this past off season, so could be a tip for Canberra. Youngest rider in the field too.

After a 9th place last year, Mitchel "Melissa" Delfs, got buck wild in his race runa and only managed a 65th place. Not the result a summer time Bromont local was looking for. Especially when a 2010 contract might not be a certainty, Kenda-Morewood-Bos---2010?????

60th Place Roycat cunningham, is he suffering the Junior World Champ curse...the pace has stepped up since his Fort William win in 2007, surely bigger things to come from Ruaridh soon?

After a good top split Filip Polc, added to MS-EVil woes and get swopping and lost lots and lots of time for a 58th place, out in the first round of 4x too, not a weekend to remember for Polcster, but as one of the few dedicated double disipline riders he deserves respect and anyone in the know, knows how much skill Polc has. Next time? 2 places higher then Polc was Andrew Neethling, 56th, Trek World Racing...he won't be happy, top 10's are his domain, another dud this weekend onto the "next time" list? One run guts or glory...that's why we love DH. Kevin Aiello adn JD Swanguen next up 48th 49th respectively...not bad, mid pack, a good place to work up from and easy palce to fall back from. Just above the Cali kids, in 47th is Lorenzo "hounddog" Suding...solid finish for this years Italian champ, the females in Bromont know he's one to watch, but not on the hill..if ya know what I mean.

Stevie Smith, new top 10er, solid split, big digger 40th place...next time! Josh Button up next 36th place, first year Aussie Elite. Solid, spent some time in Bromont with Dingo Delfs! Irish Champ Ben Reid 35th place, he'll want more then that...next time!

DRiff in 30th 10secs back..lots of good names from 30th to 15th, seperated by less then 5secs..Guardia, Pedemenaud, Rankin, Rando, Simmonds, Beer, Ruffin, Strobel, Strait and Atkinson. Bryn might be happy with his 15th place finish...missing some knee ligaments but not the heart. Sam "sender" Blenkinsop in 13th, unlucky for him, he won't be too happy with that, something is missing from him this season. Seems like maybe he is trying to ride like someone else sometimes...he took he's Leatt Brace off for race run again, just like in Fort William, his 3rd place there shows he is strong, he'll be looking for a medal in canberra or maybe a Schladming repeat.

Leov in 11th just missus out on 10th, sounds better then 11th that! So into the top 10, Fairclough starts it off, yet again not performing as he wants, 4secs off the win, a shorter track should have suited him. Strength is his big problem, how tired did he look in MSA? More skill then anyone else, racing for wins is a jigsaw and Brendan knows what pieces are missing from his. Wheter he will work hard on putting it all together he only knows....Kovarik in 8th, he was podium hunger...nearly, but nearly never bulled any cows. He's right on the bubble here but the top 4 are pushing harder and harder every week. So to the Headmaster in 7th palce only 1.83 back, that's less the 2 secs from 7th to the top box, tighter then a...Peaty wasn't stoked on his run, lots of "stalling" like usual and one huge moment in the rocks cost him dear. 70 pts back for Schladming...less stress more success?

The new American dream A-dog Gwin, determination and dedication get you far in sport. A strong race head makes champions, Gwin will get himself a World Cup win very soon. To be .4 off a world champ in 2 years of WC racing is dream land stuff. Gwin has had lots of practice at jigsaw puzzles. Remeber who his coach is too? The internet stoned Gwins coach for not making succes, where's the apologies/accolades now? That bling in his ears he got of Chad Reed's wife apparently. Rumour has it she wants them back ever since Gwin started racing on clipless, an ex-Moto rider on Clips? Impossible...if it makes you faster he sticks in in the jigsaw it seems. No rolling the dice for Gwin and it's paying off. America has been crying out for some DH success, now they have it and things seem slightly nonchalant.

Gee Bag, 4th place, 1sec down, not anywhere near as cocky as '08, just as awkward in interviews. Curse of the Rainbows I here someone say? Maybe...Canberra will tell, repeat World Champs glory knocks all talk of luck on its head.

3rd place goes to the local....we'll almost, he was clearly sick all weekend, how much that affected him only he knows, .63 down aint very much. The points are what matters though. And Sam still has that hideous jersey (honestly the UCI need to reconsider the leaders jersey, it could be a French national jersey for all we know, minimum sponsors logos, mathces noones kit, poor fit, Red leaders number 1 board, to go with all the moto pants? Sounds like a better option to me!) Watching Sam in Bromont race run, it was clear he was backing it off adn riding clever, he almost had the pace spot on but this close to the season end, playing it safe is smart play...unfortunetly for us it just ain't as wild as it could be. One thing is for sure, bike brands don't matter, this time last year people where all talk of how impossible it will be to make a Demo competitive, well that hideous jersey begs to differ, 4 different bikes in the top 5 overall? Horses for courses doesn't exist with pedal power. Lets see what that Demo does in Schladming, 16 points will make it nail biting. 2nd place last year for Sam with an injured shoulder mid run. Minnarr didn't do pressure as good as he thought in the Austrian Alps last year either.

I could have just written a whole page about Barel, ligamentless doesn't matter. Exceptional performance from '04 and '05 most hated man on the interent forums! 4th World Champs win for Barel this year? He's a horse for that course! Nuff said

Greg Minnarr, Fastest splits top to bottom, big bounce back from MSA! Championship alive, Canberra favourite. One life.

1st to 3rd only .63 between it. One race left.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fantastic write-up - send something to Dirt! :)

And who is Gwin's coach - James whatshisname? Always thought that guy talked a lot of sense despite the abuse he gets on here, hope it's him!

Barel most hated man? Not that I've seen.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
James Wilson? http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/
I use it, I can tell a difference fo sho. :thumb:

Anyway, I'm usually not one to care much about 4x, but super happy that that Mitch kid got 2nd. I've seen him three times this year doing the Mtn States Cup, and each time I was wowed by his bike skills. Just like Affy was saying in his interview, "taking lines I've never seen before." Pretty amazing rider for such a young age.

OH yeah, thanks for the interesting read Akula!

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Cheers for the great write-up Akula! :cheers:
Since you are "in the know" about all of the WC dirt, what is Minnaar's One Life thing all about?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
awesome pictures and story telling as usual, thanks litter/vital!

Is Neko really riding for SRSuntour? I didn't even know they MADE a DH fork.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Fantastic write-up - send something to Dirt! :)

And who is Gwin's coach - James whatshisname? Always thought that guy talked a lot of sense despite the abuse he gets on here, hope it's him!

Barel most hated man? Not that I've seen.
yeah, yeah and yeah.

great writing with good wit.

James Wilson is generous with his knowledge and he knows a lot. my bet is that the haters are jealous, nothing more.

Barel is badass. anyone who's ever ripped an ACL in two and tried to do anything athletic will tell you -- it's impossibly hard. the knee brace helps but it's not the same as a properly fixed knee. and the hate for Barel seems to be hatred of the French carried over from The Alien's era, 'cuz Barel doesn't seem like a jerk at all.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Any updates on Matti? I was standing right there when he crashed. It looked horrible most of the people that crashed there were able to orient themselves in the air and try to break their fall a little bit. He just slapped down like a steak. I hope he can just stop and heal for a while. Really heal. He's got too much class to be like this.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
awesome pictures and story telling as usual, thanks litter/vital!

Is Neko really riding for SRSuntour? I didn't even know they MADE a DH fork.
It's a boxxer with suntour stickers slapped on it.

Any updates on Matti? I was standing right there when he crashed. It looked horrible most of the people that crashed there were able to orient themselves in the air and try to break their fall a little bit. He just slapped down like a steak. I hope he can just stop and heal for a while. Really heal. He's got too much class to be like this.
Possible broken collarbone and possible broken pelvis.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Few things:
1. Minnarr is a dork...plain and simple. If he were 5'6" and in your office pool you'd pick on him, but since he's over 6' and winning DH's...he's a man. But his personality...."How do you think I feel?" to the camera at the end....ouch!
2. I don't think Gwin is riding clipless. Anyone have a pic of his bikes pedals? I'm pretty sure he's running 5.10 resoles on a set of Shimano freeride shoes. A pic in Decline or Dirt a few months ago showed it plain as day.
3. That course was won on the top section. Nobody except Barel and Gwin really made up any time in the sections shown on Freecaster
4. If someone is going to pay Warner, he needs to do more analysis and explaination of the riders, their individualy strengths, techniques, etc. Yeah...it's FREEcaster, but when you get audio and no video fee...and NO clue what's going on track, it's really worthless. If you had sound only of a college football game that Mike Terico is calling, you still can stay pumped.
5. Memorizing a course weeks in advance like the back of your hand is the worst thing come race day. Any course I know really well gets blown out and piddly little things you memorized aren't even on course come time to race. It messes you all up. Hill may have ridden that track and won on it, but it wasn't anything close to what he raced on yesterday and you could tell it. Guys with less time on it had faster lines than him...and you usually can't say that about him.

And a question...are finals standard points or double points and who is mathematically in it? Considering that it's a rough track meaning Hill, Peat and Minnarr could all blow up or mechanical out of the final...are the 4th and 5th place guys out of the 1 spot? Or could a Blenky type out of nowhere performance nab the title?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
4. If someone is going to pay Warner, he needs to do more analysis and explaination of the riders, their individualy strengths, techniques, etc. Yeah...it's FREEcaster, but when you get audio and no video fee...and NO clue what's going on track, it's really worthless. If you had sound only of a college football game that Mike Terico is calling, you still can stay pumped.
I think Warner slayed it for the final 20 guys, yes he is my friend, but I am always honest with him (like last weekend for example)...but I really think he was tremendous for final 20 of bromont.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
F
5. Memorizing a course weeks in advance like the back of your hand is the worst thing come race day. Any course I know really well gets blown out and piddly little things you memorized aren't even on course come time to race. It messes you all up.
Yup...just tell that to Greg Minnaar who won the opening round on his backyard track. Or Fabian at Les Gets, or any number of those big bear (our backyard) wins my wife had...etc...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
James Wilson? http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/
I use it, I can tell a difference fo sho. :thumb:

Anyway, I'm usually not one to care much about 4x, but super happy that that Mitch kid got 2nd. I've seen him three times this year doing the Mtn States Cup, and each time I was wowed by his bike skills. Just like Affy was saying in his interview, "taking lines I've never seen before." Pretty amazing rider for such a young age.

OH yeah, thanks for the interesting read Akula!
Echoing this post.

I pretty much do not watch, listen, care about 4x...but stoked for this kid. Kinda bummed there is not a 17yr old american kid killing it on the DH, but I will take Gwin for that.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
whats Neko doing as a course sweeper? is he just the last man down to see if the course is FUBAR in anway?
yea i heard about neko being the course sweeper, some french fry i mean guy was telling him not to crash or he will f*ck everything up and his job is to just make it down the course lol.

pretty cool i guess, this is what he needs experience in front of all those people... because next year... its his turn to race.

o btw with nekos sweeper run he would have placed 36th. not bad.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Yea, what exactly is a sweeper?

Also, how come Mitch can race 4x but Neko can't race downhill. I thought they are both 16?
pretty sure mitch is 17, neko is 16. you have to be 17 to race jr x at nationals. once he turns 17 in feb he will be able to qualify for jr worlds.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echoing this post.

I pretty much do not watch, listen, care about 4x...but stoked for this kid. Kinda bummed there is not a 17yr old american kid killing it on the DH, but I will take Gwin for that.
The kid KILLED it. He did not hesitate to slam the door in the face of the defending world champ...on multiple occasions! It was sick. He even made it back from a few wrecks in the rocks to STILL move on. He will be a star in short order.