Quantcast

whfs espanola

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
http://billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/format/rock/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000751157

In a shocking move, Infinity has converted 20-year modern rock bastion WHFS Washington, D.C., to Spanish as "El Zol" 99.1. The station will play a mixture of Salsa, Merengue and Bachata, targeting adults 25-54.
weird. i'm not much for radio, but whfs was an INSTITUTION! just to flip a switch and make it a spanish station seems bizarre. is anyone tuning in? i'm wondering if they're talking about it on air. i think the press release just went out at noon today. the website already redirects to a static gif logo

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
corey_dcstreet said:
weird. i'm not much for radio, but whfs was an INSTITUTION! just to flip a switch and make it a spanish station seems bizarre. is anyone tuning in? i'm wondering if they're talking about it on air. i think the press release just went out at noon today. the website already redirects to a static gif logo
Wow, are you serious? I hadn't heard that. I think the keyword here is "was" an institution. They still broke a new song every now and again, but for a station that used to be considered groundbreaking and cutting edge, they sure pulled a lot of stuff out of the vault. With the amount of really good new music that's out there, why they kept playing stuff that was better suited for DC101 is beyond me.

I've read that a lot of radio stations are starting to feel a little pain due to the rise in popularity of XM, Sirrius, I-Pod, etc.

Sep 30, 2004
Arlington VA
The truth is,HFS,101,and all radio is 100 percent business,0 percent art.
It is all comercially driven,controlled by advertisers.Spots are sold under the
condition they are run after a certain,popular song.Also,due to some wierd ratings game,if 101 is up in ratings,HFS would actually copy their playlist.
Luckily,now net radio,XM,etc. don't follow that model,and are open to artistic
freedom.
As far as HFS going Spanish,it is certainly a sign of the times,with unchecked
illegal immigration and a administration which loves it(cheap labor for big biz)
Another shot of culture shock.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
It was spanish music at lunch today. I thought I had the wrong station for a second, and then just switched to something else.

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
holy crap!!! i cant believe it, i mean i grew up listening to hfs. hell yesterday at work i was rockin it out because dc101 kept playing the same lame old songs, OVER AND OVER! wonder if anyone else will step up or if rock radio is going the way of the dinosaur. either way it will be missed...its bad enough that they have spanish on EVERYTHING else, now one of the last bastiens of rock radio is gone! :mad: i mean im all for other cultures hell its what this country is founded on but WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!?!?! couldnt they have taken over some easy listening crapola station?!?!?!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Out of all the stations, they had to choose HFS. I want a good answer why this happened and where they are going? What am I supposed to wake up to now....no more Junkies in the morning.... :stosh:

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
rpk1988 said:
Out of all the stations, they had to choose HFS. I want a good answer why this happened and where they are going? What am I supposed to wake up to now....no more Junkies in the morning.... :stosh:
Poor guys...released without notice. I liked them when they were following Don & Mike on JFK in the evenings. Honestly I haven't turned to HFS since some time in the mid/late 90's when they were pronouncing themselves as "alternative" when what they were playing was mainstream music that could be heard on any station. How many times can a person hear Candlebox in one day and not go insane? Same thing went for that Weasel character playing the same rotation of alternahits during the lunch hours.

I used to love their morning show in the 90's. Rob, Kath & Tom was it?

I feel for all the employees and devoted listeners who got hosed, but I can't say I'm upset to see the music change formats. At least now they're true to their roots...providing an alternative to standard, crappy radio.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I guess today is the start of a new day and a preview to the way america is turning. Espanol baby coming in strong. The stations actually not that bad. It wakes me up pretty fast.... ha

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
vwmtnbiker said:
couldnt they have taken over some easy listening crapola station?!?!?!
Well, the took over a pseudo alternative crapola station instead. What's the difference? HFS has been dead for years.

Try WRNR or WTMD

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
R.I.P. WHFS and more importantly, HFStival. I am going to miss that big-a$$ed party more than anything. How's a married guy supposed to get his yearly fix of young, loose, bare-boobied hotties? The ones at OzzFest are limited by Nissan as a venue to here & there at the 2nd stage or up on the hill...and DC101's Chili Cookoff attracts too many aged white trash hos for my taste. Maybe I'll don a sombrero, show up at the new 99.1 festival and hope some latin lovelies are similarly inclined. I'm just not sure I'll be able to tolerate all that mariachi & salsa music long enough to quench my lascivious thirst!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
llkoolkeg said:
R.I.P. WHFS and more importantly, HFStival. I am going to miss that big-a$$ed party more than anything. How's a married guy supposed to get his yearly fix of young, loose, bare-boobied hotties? The ones at OzzFest are limited by Nissan as a venue to here & there at the 2nd stage or up on the hill...and DC101's Chili Cookoff attracts too many aged white trash hos for my taste. Maybe I'll don a sombrero, show up at the new 99.1 festival and hope some latin lovelies are similarly inclined. I'm just not sure I'll be able to tolerate all that mariachi & salsa music long enough to quench my lascivious thirst!
There's always the infield at Preakness.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've only gone once. It was raining, but I sure did see a whole lot of boobies. I can only imagine how boobtastic it is when it's nice.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I was shocked and apalled when My friend broke me the news. No more HFStival, no more Loveline, no more Gina Crash, I think i'm gonna go kill myself now

Oh wait, tahts right, I have a CD player in my new truck :)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
yeah, sorry... some troll swung through the monkey, posted a half-dozen racist remarks, got banned and deleted.

drives me crazy when people don't realize there are real people on the other ends of these computers. i equate it to walking up and grabbing someone at the grocery store and yelling in their face... i guess some people like the attention.