Quantcast

which 24

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
alright, i swear this is my last question on bike desicion, im new to the world of bigger bikes and am super indecisive!

Fit 24 or Giant 24 is what ive narrowed it down to and am pretty sure my LBS can get both.

cant find specs for fit frame, but the geometry seems similar on both.

to anyone who may have experience with these bikes, which is more flickable and more of a 20" feel??

thanks guys!!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Did GIANT really put 33/12 gearing on the METHOD 24" (or is that just a website error)?

On a 20" that's fine. But with 24" wheels, you get 66 gear inches.

A stock bmx bike should be shooting for 54-57 gear inches.

33/14
30/13
28 /12
27/12

>
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/bmx/
SIZES 24" Wheel
COLORS Tan/ Bronze
FRAME Tapered 4130 CroMo w/ CNC-machined headtube
FORK Tapered 4130 CroMo w/ CNC-machined 1-piece steerer
SHOCK N/A

HANDLEBAR CroMo 5" rise
STEM Front Load Alloy, 1-1/8"
SEATPOST Steel micro adjust, 25.4mm
SADDLE Giant-embossed Ultralight, 8mm rails
PEDALS Giant alloy platform

SHIFTERS N/A
FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
REAR DERAILLEUR N/A
BRAKES Tektro 907A U-Brake
BRAKE LEVERS Tektro alloy

CASSETTE 12T
CHAIN KMC Z510
CRANKSET 3-piece tubular CroMo, 33T alloy
BOTTOM BRACKET Spanish sealed

RIMS Alienation Black Sheep, 36H
HUBS F:alloy, 36H, 3/8" axle / R:alloy, loose ball cassette, 36H, 14mm axle
SPOKES BED stainless steel
TIRES F:Kenda Small Block 8, 24x2.1" / R:Kenda Small Block 8, 24x1.95"
EXTRAS

FIT appears to have screwed up too. 30/14 == 51.4 gear inches

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2265

RIDING STYLE: Street, Park and Trails

FRAME: 4130 Chromoly tubing and Integrated head tube
FORK: 4130 Chromoly tubing with 10mm dropouts and CNC machined top cap
HANDLEBARS: 4130 Chromoly 2pc cruiser bars
GRIPS: FIT Original grip with plastic barends
STEM: NEW CNC Machined D.I. in Black
HEADSET: FSA Impact sealed bearing
DETANGLER: NONE
BRAKE LEVER: Odyssey Medium Monolever in Black
REAR BRAKE: Tektro U-Brake with coil spring in Black
CABLE: Linear in Black
CRANKSET: Tubular cromo arms in 175mm Black with sealed MID bottom bracket
CHAINWHEEL: Alloy FIT gear in 30T Black
PEDALS: S&M 101 Pedals in 9/16" Black
CHAIN: KMC Z410 1/8"
FREEWHEEL: 14T Cog
RIMS: Alienation Black Sheep Double Wall 36H in Black
HUBS: Sealed bearing front with 3/8" axle. Sealed rear cassette with 14mm axle
SPOKES: Black 14G
NIPPLES: Brass
TIRES: 24x1.95 front and rear
SADDLE: FIT ECCD seat in Black Vinyl
SEAT CLAMP: Alloy 28.6mm in Black

Last edited:

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
hmmm yeah, i guess which i ever i decide on im gonna be doing some immediate gear switching.

other than that i guess geometry is so alike on both it doesnt really matter.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Did GIANT really put 33/12 gearing on the METHOD 24
Yes, they did. Crazy, I know.

I road the Method 24 for awhile. I really liked it on the trails. For anything else, it was basically a land magnet. But, most of those old geo cruisers are.

The Method 24 comes with a 22" TT, the Fit comes with a 21.5. I'm fairly tall, so the 22 felt really nice (felt like a 21" tt 20).

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
woah, how did i miss this ?? described as an "MTX" i guess meaning MTBMX? (not clear why--it doesn't have suspension-correction)... and yeah they got the gearing right on one (33-14) but wrong on the other (25-9). but still interesting...... back end appears to be short...

KHE Pygmy 24"
Pygmy Pro

Pygmy

Frame: 24” MTX
Fork: 24”, 11/8” A-Head, steel
Handlebar: 2pc, steel, 630x89mm
Crank: PRISM 3pc, CR-MO, S/B, 175mm
Sprocket: 33T
Pedals: Aluminium Allround, B/B
Seat: PRISM Hurley
Wheels: black, 36h, Aluminium rim, 14mm
Freewheel: 14T
Tires: Trax PRISM 2,00” Freestyle, 24”
Brakes: F-SET V-Brake
Extras: chaintensioners
Color: black-grey
Weight: 13,9kg (w/o pegs)

Frame: KHE Pygmy 24” 100% Sanko CrMo
Fork: 24” Cirrus, 100% Sanko CrMo
Handlebar: KHE Anchor MTB, CrMo
Crank: KHE Hindenburg, CrMo, MidBB, 2-pc, S/B,
Sprocket: Rotor, 25T
Pedals: Construct Aluminium, S/B
Seat: Loyal
Wheels: front: 24” BIG-V rim blk, 36H, Astral hub, rear: 24” BIG-O rim chrome, 36H, DT-SWISS spokes
Freewheel: Astern Freecoaster, 9T
Tires: front: 24” MAC2 Park folding
Brakes: KHE CNC U-Brake
Extras: Dubz chaintensioners, Halflink slim chain, Pyramid grips, Alchemy pegs
Color: brown
Weight: 10,64kg (w/o pegs)

Last edited:

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
those look pretty decent,
i think i might hold out for 2010 fit,
or maybe wait for the black market contraband, those are lookin pretty sexy

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
if i'm not mistaken the contraband will be regular mtb spacing, aka 135x10. where as the fore mentioned bikes are bmx rear hubs.
thanks for the info... im fine with that since i dont have any parts to build up a frame yet anyway. speaking of which, has anyone found any information about the contraband becoming available as a complete??

and it will be suspension corrected, its a mtb where the others are bmx, way different but both awsome:thumb:
yeah, i've been having a hard time deciding wether to go bmx 24 or mtbmx 24.
it seems the bmx 24 are more race geometry like, and the mtbmx are better geometry for trails.
but my history is mostly bmx 20" and thats what i feel comfortable on except for the past few years away from bmx riding xc 26.
after a herniated disc i dont want to ride a small 20" anymore though, but still want to ride dirtjumps, thats why i want the larger bike!

from what i have read black market bikes seem to have a good feel for people used to riding 20" and it seems a lot of people transition easy, so i think i feel pretty comfortable going with black market. but i still havent made a decision yet.

does anyone have pros or cons they'd like to share on the subject of bmx 24 vs. mtbmx 24???

i wish i could test ride some bikes, but LBS doesnt carry these, and my friends ride 20s

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
does anyone have pros or cons they'd like to share on the subject of bmx 24 vs. mtbmx 24???
24" bmx is cheaper. more bike for the buck. 24" mtbmx, the main question is do you want suspension or not. if you're going for a fully rigid setup either way, the question gets more complicated. an mtbmx 24" set up fully rigid might seem slightly pointless until you recognize that mtbmx 24" (e.g. Union Street, Tonic Fabrications, NS) have been ahead of the times as far as blending new school street geometry (shorter cs) with old school stable trails geo (slack HA). at the same time, 24" bmx race cruisers have proven speed and agility. it's a tough toss-up.

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
yes it is definitey a tough toss up! i definitely want to go fully rigid....... mtbmx or not, definitely rigid. i feel mtbmx is definitely ahead of the times with geometry. I cant understand why bmx companies dont make more progressive changes with geometry and 24 in bikes. I guess they dont feel there is a very substantial market for it?????

i definitely am liking that i can get a complete bmx for the price of mtbmx frame though. but i dont feel that should be the deciding factor in how i choose. It should be about how it rides and feels, and what feels most natural.

im lookin into dobermann, tonic, union street, and the new black market....
but at the same time... sunday, fit, and giant
tough decisions, i really wanna test ride some mtbmx bikes, im really curious how they feel

Last edited:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
i definitely am liking that i can get a complete bmx for the price of mtbmx frame though. but i dont feel that should be the deciding factor in how i choose. It should be about how it rides and feels, and what feels most natural.

Yes, but don't let that fool you. Buying a complete 24 inch bmx cruiser for 4 to 5 hundred bucks doesn't really get you too far. I just went through this situation. I wanted a 24inch so thought i would go for a complete because i needed wheels mainly but new right away when pulling the bike out of the box that things would need to be changed immediately. Both the wheels and cranks where total s**tbags and wore out with in a few rides around my neighborhood. And im not saying im some crazed nut that beats bikes to hell but the parts that came on my complete where not good. So, just saying that yes the 4 to 5 hundred price tag looks great on the surface but i would say you might be putting some more money into it even sooner than you think. "Mountain Bikes" are more expensive as completes than bmx bikes but I do believe they have some better spec-ed parts even on entry level models. Also, this is just with the complete that i bought, other brands could have better parts

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
thank you for sharing your perspective... that makes a lot of sense! i guess after changing out parts you would end up spending about the same amount anyway.

after a lot of debating with myself and a lot of research i believe the best and most logical choice is the Sunday model C. it seems the best of both worlds and excellent geometry. im gonna order the Sunday frame, forks and bars and build up the rest!

they have a complete coming in spring, but i cant wait that long. i really miss riding trails and it would be fun to hit up some indoor park during the winter!

thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge and perspectives and helping me out!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
make sure you test-ride a Model-C before you buy one to make sure you like the high bottom bracket. in my personal opinion, it's too high. but to each his own.

I think Cru's prototype geometry sounds a lot better. 12.75" bb being in between 'traditional' cruiser and model-c. plus it also has a shorter cs than the model-c (15").

TT - 22.3
CS - 14.25
BB - 12.75
HA - 74
SA - 71.5
ST - 9

WCH is getting the other frame. The geo is similar, but his has a 21.9 TT, 12.5 BB, and a 73.5 HA.

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
i wish i could test ride it first, but i dont know how that would be possible. completes arent being sold yet unfortunately. just gonna have to build it up and try it out.
it seems like the best geometry that is available on the market now for 24in trail riding in the research i have done. and closest to 'bigger bmx' feel.

and maybe this frame can just hold me over until cru starts producing more frames! His definitely looks spot on and i would definitely love to purchase one!!