Quantcast

Which armor is better? Fit? Comfort? Hold?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Which is better?

Oneal Rocker knee pads?

or the sixsixone's race?

Which one holds onto your knees better? Are both velcro? And won't move on your legs. Same for the elbow guards.

It's hard to tell if they are velcro or not as the pictures online are very dark black and none say how they hold.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used to use that style of armor (hard plates), and hated it. none of what I ever tried stayed in place, and was annoying to pedal in. If cost isn't in issue, I'd take a look into the POC Joint VPD shin. I have the Joint VPD knee (same this, but without the shin portion, just knee). Absolutely incredible. They stay in place, they're not uncomfortable for pedalling, and the actual protection they provide is as good or better than hard plate stuff.

edit: same goes for elbow pads. I have the joint VPD elbow, best elbow armor I've ever used.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i digress and retract said ccomment then

i thought it was going to turn into a total heckler review :)
:rofl: I use their stuff because it's the best, hands down. The sizing on certain items could use some improvements.

I used it for the 2010 season in its entirety. Cortex DH helmet, Joint VPD Elbow and knee, and VPD spine (vest version). The knee and spine were the best I've ever used, hands down. The elbow pads were the best I've used to, but I only wore them on certain occasions. None of it ever moved or shifted out of place, even during falls. I used to use the open back style with velcro armor plate style stuff (race face, fox, azonic, 3 diff versions of 661), and without fail each and every one of them shifted out of place to varying degrees (even during impacts - I got cuts and gashes on my knee and bottom of my shin from them moving out of place in impacts). Never again.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I wear Dianese leg armor and older Dianese elbow pads. Like 'em better than anything else I've tried. I have an older grey Safety Jacket too, but its a bit tight these days and isn't comfortable. (I should sell it)

I'd really like to check out that POC vest next season. It looks nice and low profile.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Absolutely love the poc knee and elow pads. Best there is IMHO.
Cortex dh helmet caused no end of grief with dodgy MIPS system.....hopefully fixed for next year. Pin holder kept coming out, was swapped 3 times before giving up and getting a refund.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The POC Joint VPD shin look great, but aren't they hot as hell in summer? I'm going to be getting new knee shins next summer, and the knee only business ain't gonna happen.

I've been wearing Roach knee shins for 3 seasons now and while they're good, they're pretty huge. Looking to get something a little more minimalist.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Those 661's have neoprene between the velcro and the skin. They are much better than the older styles (and similar without neoprene) but still slide a bit

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i had the o'neal rockers and they are hands down the most sturdy and safe kneepads i ever had. but at the same time they are the most uncomfortable kneepads i ever owned (Dainese, POC). you can't put them on with your shoes on, the the velcro above the knee area irritated my skin. but they NEVER mooved out of place in a crash and especially the knee is very well protected.
i now use POC Bone VPD leg protectors and they are soooo much more comfortable. you can put them on with your shoes on, they are by far the pads that heat up the least. the level of protection might not be as high as the rocker's (they are really tank like!) but the crashes i had this year on POC went "well", so they seem rather safe, too.
i'd take POC over the Rockers any time again, soooo much more comfortable.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd really like to check out that POC vest next season. It looks nice and low profile.
more importantly, it stays in place. i use mine without the kidney belt. sizing is crucial though. according to the sizing chart, i needed a L/XL. I wound up wearing a small.

The POC Joint VPD shin look great, but aren't they hot as hell in summer? I'm going to be getting new knee shins next summer, and the knee only business ain't gonna happen.
The knees I have DO get warmer, probably a bit warmer than any other armor I've used, but its certainly tolerable. FWIW I wore them under moto pants. However, being warm helps them work. The warmer they get, the softer and more pliable they are, and contour to your knees/elbows/etc better.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I don't believe I've seen body armor in my LBS around here. I haven't exactly been looking for it in the shop. I'm not in an area that needs it. But I'm interested in the pads for a trip to Whistler this summer and there I know I'm going to need it.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the POC stuff. I've heard of Dainese too. Price was an issue but if it's not that much more I'll spend the money. What concerns me now is JonKranked's comment about sizing being crucial. I don't want to be sending them back over and over till I get the right size. I'll have to call around to see if anyone has them.

Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't believe I've seen body armor in my LBS around here. I haven't exactly been looking for it in the shop. I'm not in an area that needs it. But I'm interested in the pads for a trip to Whistler this summer and there I know I'm going to need it.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the POC stuff. I've heard of Dainese too. Price was an issue but if it's not that much more I'll spend the money. What concerns me now is JonKranked's comment about sizing being crucial. I don't want to be sending them back over and over till I get the right size. I'll have to call around to see if anyone has them.

Thanks.
knee and elbow sizing were spot on what their sizing charts said, so I'd imagine the sizing for shin pads would be correct as well.

it was the sizing of the body/spine armor that was way off. their helmet fit is a little wonky too.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Another vote for the POC's. Have the knee/shin, elbow, and tee. The knee/shin tends to rotate on me a little, but is otherwise perfect. I don't think they're any hotter than the 661's mentioned initially and they're a ton more comfortable because they actually stay in place.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Another vote for the POC's. Have the knee/shin, elbow, and tee. The knee/shin tends to rotate on me a little, but is otherwise perfect. I don't think they're any hotter than the 661's mentioned initially and they're a ton more comfortable because they actually stay in place.
which ones do you have Joint (impact polymer) or Bone (hard plastic shell - storm trooper style)? There's a huge difference.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Thanks.

You could alway buy in Whistler, or fly to Seattle first and buy here. Plane tickets are much cheaper anyways.

I bought my last Dianese jacket in Whistler. Got a killer deal.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Best way to decide on gear....... Try it on.

Either go to your bike shop, or your local moto shop put it on, and move around a bit.

Everyone is built different, so is the gear. Not all gear fits all people.

For the body armor, your probably going to need to end up at a moto shop, they should have most all brands if theya re good. I know Chapparal has 661, evs, poc, fox, and others all in stock.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Best way to decide on gear....... Try it on.
I'll definitely second this. Some of those items you listed may very well fit you properly and you won't have slip issues, but then again easier said than done.

That being said, I took a gamble when ordering my POC stuff. Didn't try it on before I bought, but I got the right sizes and the fit was fine. For the items that fit me, for the items that didn't fit me, I've got 'em for sale. Check my sig :spam:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
cool, thanks for the info. Good to know people are having a good experience with the Bone items. not everyone is willing/able to pay for the VPD.
Bought them through Wiggle when they became available. Always willing to pay a little more and put up with a little bit more bulk for more protection. If the leg pieces didn't rotate I'd say they were perfect.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
not everyone is willing/able to pay for the VPD.
Wow, they are expensive! That's out of my budget. That's like double what I'd pay for the Oneal set up. I need to spend on a helmut and possibly a trail star chest protector from Rockgardn in case I go over the bars out there. Not sure it's any good.

And I was told it would be smart to get ankle protectors for out there too. A fellow rider and I were discussing flying out to Whistler. He races. I don't.

DirtyMike! Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about going to a motorcycle shop. Thanks for the idea.

I've also not ruled out a pressure suit that comes with everything up top but price is what's keeping me from spending too much. Pricepoint has one from Sette that looked okay.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ankle guards are clutch. I'm using a beat-a$$ pair of 661's. think it might finally be time to upgrade.

bighitr, dunno if you're aware, but check out chainlove. they've been having a lot of armor (including pressure suits) and helmets pop up lately, at REALLY good prices.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I gather the Oneal's are a tougher plastic?
Well..... No matter what brand or style you get, its not really the ahrd plastic that give you protection. Its the padding undeneath. The hard plastic styles just save the padding in the sharp rocks and add some durability. So the hardness of the plastic really doesnt change the protection.

I have run some with the hardest plastic, some with the softest. Honestly, I will take the softer more flexible plastic types or go with the type with no external plastic. I just like the mobility the softer plastic will offer.

I knmow the plastic can give the impression of stronger, or more protection..... But its truly whats underneath that protects you

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
another vote for poc. i had the bone knee/shin and the elbow forearm. i've also run the roach/raceface dh knee/shin combo, which worked well. not as nice as the poc, but good. i found the full length shin plate helps prevent slipping. not sure how well the shorter knee plates help. also another vote to try them on.

also had the rockgardn vest. it is ok, but not amazing. i does allow for freedom of movement and isnt silly hot, but i found it to be a bit on the bulky side for what i wanted. though it did save me in a few otb situations.

:spam:
i'll be likely selling my gear off, but it will be a few weeks before i can do it. if you can ait and are the right size (large), PM me and we might work something out.

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Okay, went to the motorcycle shop as someone suggested, they had two types, EVS which looked like the FOX type that look "baseball catcher" type and one type of Answer pads that looked low end and short on shin protection.

I'm off to the LBS tonight to see what they have.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
POC is very high priced. I can't afford that high. Are there any other brand of pads that would not slip on impact that would be lower priced in the $100 range for shin/knee and arm/elbow that are good? Anyone? Is the Pricepoint SETTE stuff any good? It's not expensive.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The top 661 model you are showing stays in place great while they are new, soon as the straps stretch, they slide pretty bad. They work well though, used a set like that for a few years.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yeah POC's XL is like a medium in other helmets. its almost as bad as THE's "XL"
The THEs run small too? That sucks, I was looking at those. I tried Jon's POC on and got into it, but it felt like putting my head in a vice. He said you couldn't even get into it. What are you running then, I need a new helmet, only think I've tried on that I really like fit wise is an XL D3, but they're ass ugly except for the black CF one, and that's $$$.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The THEs run small too? That sucks, I was looking at those. I tried Jon's POC on and got into it, but it felt like putting my head in a vice. He said you couldn't even get into it. What are you running then, I need a new helmet, only think I've tried on that I really like fit wise is an XL D3, but they're ass ugly except for the black CF one, and that's $$$.
yeah, i bought a THE Carbon One and the mouth guard was basically sitting on my mouth, so i returned it...i dont think thats what they meant by mouth guard.
i couldnt get Jon's helmet to go past the top of my cranium either .

my TLD XL/XXL D2 fits me perfect. super comfy and doesnt move at all.