Quantcast

Which bike for Moab?

Hey guys, the GF and I are taking a trip to Moab over Memorial Day weekend. We're only going to have two days to ride, so we were thinking of doing Porcupine Ridge and Slickrock. Since niether one of us has been there before, I'm not sure which bike to bring, the Foes Fly (42lbs) or the Trek Liquid 25 (32lbs) . She'll be riding a Juliana superlight, so she'll be fine with that. What do you guys think I should bring?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The liquid would be a good all-around bike. I've seen people riding Fly-like bikes on Porcupine Rim - but I couldn't imagine pedaling a 40+ pound bike on Slick Rock.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of the best things about the rides you mentioned is the scenery and the feeling of getting away from civilization (with the understanding that you have enough energy to get back of course). Exhausting yourself on an overly huge bike depletes from both. You don't need the fly. That liquid will be perfect.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
The fly would rock for porc rim, as it has a short initial climb then a long kick-ass DH (provided you shuttle) Slickrock is all up and down rollers, and its great to have a bike that climbs well because youll be amazed at what you can climb on slickrock. I saw lots of big bikes on porc rim, but mostly xc/trail bikes on slickrock. Im stickin with the liquid for my reccomendation.

edit - Looks like RM beat me to it:D

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have ridden both of those trails before and would say unless you are someone who is tempted to huck/jump off of every big rock you see, the trek will surfice. Porcupine does have a pretty technical section towards the end but the rest of it is easilly manageable on a 4-5" SC bike. I would recomend bringing a couple sets of tires and tubes; semi slicks for slick rock and some 2.25-2.3 with thicker tubes for porc. The last time I rode PR I had alot of pinch flats. Oh I did I mention H20,H20,H20..

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i was in MOAB last year. i had a 54# beast of a super8 and my buddy had a 49# FOES mono. Porkypin is sick on a big bike. you and the GF can have a high desert bonding experience on the climb to the top. Then tell her she's on her own for the descent. There are all kinds of stuff to hit on the way down. look side to side and when you see somehting cool. hike back up and drop it! that's what we did.

also, tip the shuttle driver a little something extra to follow him to the END of the porcupine rim where it dead ends into the highway. Leave your vehicle there and pack up the shuttle and then go up to the top trailhead. that way your car is waiting on you when you finish the ride. otherwise you a grueling 7-9 mile ride back to town on the side of the highway. NOT COOL!

take the big bike are you crazy!!!!

jh

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
definitly, that last ride into town sucks, especially on a DH bike. i had to ride back to town, and all the was back through town to the Moab Vallley inn.