Quantcast

Which bike for the GF?

Which bike for the GF?

• Santa Cruz Juliana R-Disc w/Fox R

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Specialized FSRxc Comp w/X-Fusion RC Air

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
The GF is expressing desire to get out on the trails with me and share the experience. I've been looking around and one of the LBS's I frequent has one each of the following and I'm wondering what you guys think would be a better overall choice.

I'm leaning toward the Juliana as I think it has a better component list and I like the idea of an un-interupted seat tube vs the Specialized. (Not to mention there's almost zero info on the new X-Fusion shocks.) I'm not too stoked on the RS Tora shock spec'd on both bikes, but that can easily be upgraded later.

What do you guys think?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't buy either. If this is her first "mtn bike", get her a hardtail. Besides being cheaper, she could use for riding road and trail.

But if you can afford a FS bike, the Juliana is probably a slightly better frame. Upgrades are a funny one, because she will probably never notice unless you say something...

Dude, I want her to be stoked on the experience, not come home bummed out about how much her ass hurts from getting bucked around on a hardtail. Hell, I've got a P2 I could put her on in that case. She rode that once and was not happy with it. Money isn't really the limiting factor BTW.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Surfinguru - I kinda think you're going about this the wrong way... If your GF wants to ride then she'll get into it on her own terms. She'll try to educate herself on what to buy.

SURFINGURU said:
Money isn't really the limiting factor
Why go all out and buy her something totally swanky if she's just kinda interested?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
surfinguru said:
Dude, I want her to be stoked on the experience, not come home bummed out about how much her ass hurts from getting bucked around on a hardtail. Hell, I've got a P2 I could put her on in that case. She rode that once and was not happy with it. Money isn't really the limiting factor BTW.
I vote for the Juliana then. I think the frame is a little lighter, probably a better fit than the Men's Comp, more color choices, and a little bit more bling.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
Why go all out and buy her something totally swanky if she's just kinda interested?
Shouldn't you be asking Mr. Amydalayna this question? All he would buy you is an used Giant VT...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
Shouldn't you be asking Mr. Amydalayna this question? All he would buy you is an used Giant VT...
ha ha.

it's called a bike budget. SOME of us have them. it's what happens when you have a shared money pool.

----

all i was saying is that people shouldn't just buy their girlfriends bikes if they really think their girlfriends are into riding. they should assist them with process.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
amydalayna said:
ha ha.

all i was saying is that people shouldn't just buy their girlfriends bikes if they really think their girlfriends are into riding. they should assist them with process.

I don't know, nice toys are fun to play with. A super nice bike can be a good motivator. That being said, I am a budget person too, who longs for nice toys. ;)

ChuMaiWang

Chimp
Jun 30, 2006
I think you should have her test ride each one (or others) and let her decide. If she will be riding it, let her “pick it out”. (Within reason, of course)

:oink:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought my wife a raleigh m20 for $200. She has gotten quite a few miles out of it until she heard about a friends date.

A good friend of mine took a girl out riding and she didn't have a bike of her own. He let her ride his Haro dirt jumper and he rode his DH bike. After an hour she said the seat sucked and wanted to switch bikes. After an hour on the DH bike, she was bombing stairs and jumping off stuff downtown. So now my wife wants me to finsh my dirt jumper so she can rock my big bike on an urban ride too.

Something about a chick on a DH bike just gets me all worked up! :love:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What Amy said. Educate her, let her make the choice.

Nothing's worse than the BF who thinks he knows exactly what's best for his GF getting into riding.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
The more she can try before buying the better. I took a gamble on a Turner Burner for my betrothed and it worked out well.
She had an old Specialized Rockhopper before and while I'm sure the hardtail helped her in the long run picking lines and such, just moving to the Burner resulted in a significant increase in both her skill and enjoyment factor. Now her skills are progressing faster than ever.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
He said his girl has already expressed an interest, it doesn't sound to me like he is forcing it. But I agree that she should have control over the process and the choice. People are different, some want the knowledgable help from an SO, others are intimidated and feel better doing it themselves. She should visit bike shops without you, and try as many bikes as she can. She may come back knowing what she wants, or she may say she needs you to filter what the salespeople are saying.

I don't see anything wrong with a beginner getting a full suspension bike, she will have more control and be less beat up. As for which bike, to me it almost doesn't matter. At the intermediate/beginner level, the differences in the bikes are not as important as her feeling comfortable with the bike enough that she actually gets out and rides. If it turns out she loves it, she'll have plenty of time to geek out.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
blue said:
What Amy said. Educate her, let her make the choice.

Nothing's worse than the BF who thinks he knows exactly what's best for his GF getting into riding.
what he said. She will have a lot more sense of ownership if she gets to pick it out. Plus, just because you've picked out a nice one, doesn't mean it will fit her properly or feel right. If for some reason it doesn't feel right or fit right, you may end up with a very expensive clothes drying rack in your garage.

gg

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I'm gonna vote for having her go to the LBS with you and try some lower end hardtails to see what she likes.