Quantcast

Which bike should I look at (I feel like such a n00b for asking that!)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Here's the situation....currently I have a 4" travel FS XC bike (so I'm content in the XC dept.). I switched from a hardtail because I was having back pain etc. from the roughness of our trails, but I still have the frame and lots of random parts. I bought an entry-level road bike a year ago and have had nothing but pain (neck, shoulders, knees) from it ever since. I love the idea of road riding, but I'm not sure my body likes the position it's scrunched into. I'm sick of puting $$ into the bike to change the stem, seatpost etc. (while trying to make it more tolerable).

The problem is that I still want to ride gravel roads, rail trails, some road and fire roads, as well as have a comfortable bike to ride on my trainer in the winter.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a type of bike? I don't have a lot of cash to spend, and was thinking I could even throw some of the parts I have now on a different frame. Any ideas/suggestions?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, what kind of road bike do you have? a cheap alu bike will be a road shock resonator....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think pain like that in the neck, etc. is more caused by position than vibrations.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, you could look at the Specialized Sequoia. That is a very upright bike.

But I also think you could do somethings with your current bike, like get a 125 degree rise stem or a suspension seatpost.