Quantcast

Which BMX? For a taller rider

ace256

Chimp
Feb 8, 2009
Heyyy

Ok so i'm 6ft tall, my main hobby is motocross racing but I am going to buy a BMX bike for dirt trails/jumps - just for a bit of fun occassionally in the woods building jumps and trails with mates.

However every BMX i've been on before has been too small for me. I know what size tt I should be looking at (around 21" or 21.5"+), however my question is that if I bought a BMX that was standard (smaller tt, small frame, 20") - then will I have to change some other parts on the BMX too (not just the tt), such as the frame size?

Also, would it be a good idea for me to just buy a 24" dirt/jump BMX? I only aim to do trails and jumping on it - and i've heard having a 24" BMX/cruiser won't set you at any disadvantage with riding trails / jumping. I don't intend to pull any major-ass tricks on the bike either. Ta :cheers:

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
recurring question.... so see this thread as well:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214274

given your MX background and your desire to do only trails and jumping i say go with a 24" or 26" wheel mtbmx (aka DJ / Dirt Jump mtb).

it'll cost more than a rigid fork 24" bmx cruiser, but it'll be worth it b/c it will likely feel more comfortable to you from Day 1, if you didn't already grow up riding a 20".

Giant STP, Blackmarket .357 or Riot Complete, Specialized P1 or P2, Eastern Nighttrain.

most affordable and best-for-the-money mtbmx/dirt jumper is the DK Asterik:

most affordable 24" bmx cruiser is the DK General Lee or DK Fury. but best 24" for the money is the We The People "Avenue 24".