Quantcast

Which body armour fits the Leatt Brace best?

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I am thinking of getting the brace.

I have tried it with a 661 core saver and find that the shoulder padding makes the brace sit higher than it should.

So I am in the market for a new armour. Anyone using the brace with body armour? any tips would be much appreciated.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'm running a 661 Pressure Suit (not the pro, and not the cheapy Comp suit) with my Leatt. Works just fine but I don't use the spine protector. If I did, I'd just tuck the back plate of the Leatt under the spin protector and call it a day.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I am thinking of getting the brace.

I have tried it with a 661 core saver and find that the shoulder padding makes the brace sit higher than it should.

So I am in the market for a new armour. Anyone using the brace with body armour? any tips would be much appreciated.
Which Core Saver? The new one with removable back plates or the old one? Because with the new one they have lowered the shoulder padding specifically to make it fit with a Leatt.

Regarding the 2008 RockGardn Flak Jacket, I have one of those haven't tried it with a Leatt but I wouldn't really recommend the jacket. The protection is good, but the backplate doesn't follow your back and feels stiff.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Why are so many running it over the armor/jerseys, etc.? Wouldn't tucking it under the Pressure Suit to sit directly on your shoulders avoid all of the interference problems? Or does that cause other fit issues?

I'm just asking because I'll be getting a Leatt myself soon and am trying to plan ahead and get as informed as I can before-hand.

Domzy7

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Scotland
Its hard to tuck it under a spine guard because then it pretty much needs to go under your shirt. If you put it on top of the spine guard you can wear it outside your clothes, and its therefor more comfortable.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
You must wear it between your spine protector and your back. It can NOT be on top of the spine protector. Leatt is very clear on that due to the load path.

Anyway, I have a slit in my jersey for the spine part to slip through and under the spine protector in the Rock Gardn. I then pull the front of the jersey and chest plate up over the front of the Leatt. It's a <30 second job and it stays put really good.

Wearing it under a jersey is an option. However, the jersey needs to have the neck hole enlarged to mammouth propotions.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I thought 661 changed the core saver this year and made it really compatible with the Leatt. I thought it could actually like snap on there or something. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Yeah the new core saver has cut outs in the shoulder pad so the neck brace sits lower.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Using my Leatt with Dainese and I've cut a slit in my jerseys as a guy above has done, works fine and goes on in seconds. I don't pull my jersey or chest plate over the front part of the brace though, this doesn't have to be done and it's just extra hassle, plus you can't use the strap (although you probably don't need it if it's all tucked under...).

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I thought 661 changed the core saver this year and made it really compatible with the Leatt. I thought it could actually like snap on there or something. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Yeah the new core saver has cut outs in the shoulder pad so the neck brace sits lower.
The new Core Saver is different in that you can remove the upper 2 or 3 sections of the spine protector and run the Leatt on top of the Core Saver. Basically it allows you to wear your Leatt on top of your Core Saver without the spine protector interfering with the back plate of the brace. It keeps the brace sitting close to the body/spine without having to slip it in between or under something. You could throw on your Core Saver, then your jersey, and drop the Leatt on right on top of them.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
How long will it be until companies like TLD and Nemo are offering jerseys with the slit already cut? Or until somebody offers the New Jersey with V-neck styling and a gold band around it so you know where to stop shaving?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I used to run the back plate under my Dainese spine protector no problem, but yeah then it'd stretch my jersey neck and make it choke my neck. Which sucked. Got the new Core Saver, popped off the top spine plate, and the brace fits perfectly right on top. Love it. No neck stretch, no problem.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
All the 2010 661 body armor is designed to work with the leatt brace. That is directly from the Rep's mouth and from my own experience.
I have the new 2010 Evo Pressure suite. It has a slot beneath the back plate to slip the Leatt Brace in, and is has clearance around the shoulders and chest plate. The new pressure has an awesome rash guard built into it as well. The chest plate secures over the front of the Leatt (after you zip up the rash guard) and under the armpits to keep the chest plate from riding up. Once you have the Pressure Suite on, before you velcro the chest plate, simply slip the Leatt on and then secure the chest plate. Easy!
Best piece of armor I have ever owned.
And no more chaffed nipples from the chest plate with the rash guard. I know, TMI....

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
I do, it sits nicely on top of it ... the poc guys said i should be ok since it's a soft backprotector, poc/sunn guys are running it the same way. I couldnt get an answer from leatt, though. I dont believe you could stuff it under the protector anyway, since the vest comes rather tight around your neck, unless you want to cut a slit into the vest, just above the protector, however i was advised against it by poc, for whatever reason.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
that's strange...there was a guy who e-mailed 661 if they had thought about making their body armours compatible with the Leatt and they said to him no at present but that it was a good idea for the future, it was in a recent thread here in ridemonkey...
All the 2010 661 body armor is designed to work with the leatt brace. That is directly from the Rep's mouth and from my own experience.
I have the new 2010 Evo Pressure suite. It has a slot beneath the back plate to slip the Leatt Brace in, and is has clearance around the shoulders and chest plate. The new pressure has an awesome rash guard built into it as well. The chest plate secures over the front of the Leatt (after you zip up the rash guard) and under the armpits to keep the chest plate from riding up. Once you have the Pressure Suite on, before you velcro the chest plate, simply slip the Leatt on and then secure the chest plate. Easy!
Best piece of armor I have ever owned.
And no more chaffed nipples from the chest plate with the rash guard. I know, TMI....

Dec 11, 2007
Well, I picked up my Evo Pressure Suite, Leatt an hand from the so-cal rep Bobby(super nice guy). He explained how they have been working with Leatt to make the two products mesh. Leatt slipped right in and I have been happy ever since.

I cannot explain the discrepancy, except maybe the person answering email's is ill-informed (shame on them). 661 has been very good to me and I highly recommend their new products.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
here is the thread http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225823 (post #9) in any case, I hope your info is the right one as I want a 661 Pressure Suit to fit my Leatt!! :D:D cheers !
Well, I picked up my Evo Pressure Suite, Leatt an hand from the so-cal rep Bobby(super nice guy). He explained how they have been working with Leatt to make the two products mesh. Leatt slipped right in and I have been happy ever since.

I cannot explain the discrepancy, except maybe the person answering email's is ill-informed (shame on them). 661 has been very good to me and I highly recommend their new products.

2008 Rock Gardn Flak Jacket. Works great with the Leatt. The brace slips right under the spine protrector.
Most Definitely, 09 RockGardn works great too! Leatt slides into the pocked in between the back protecter and the mesh of the suite. Super comfortable fit, and holds it in place really well, no Leatt straps needed, don't even know the Leatt is there!

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I do, it sits nicely on top of it ... the poc guys said i should be ok since it's a soft backprotector, poc/sunn guys are running it the same way. I couldnt get an answer from leatt, though. I dont believe you could stuff it under the protector anyway, since the vest comes rather tight around your neck, unless you want to cut a slit into the vest, just above the protector, however i was advised against it by poc, for whatever reason.
Cool, thanks man.

Does the brace move around since you can't get the back plate under the spine protector? Do you use the strap?

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
I use the strap and it doesn't move around much, I guess probably the same as if one were using it without back protection. The POC protector moves with the body, so there really is not much difference to not wearing it ... you may however want to use a size larger inserts than normally, to accomodate a bit of additional material on your back.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I use the strap and it doesn't move around much, I guess probably the same as if one were using it without back protection. The POC protector moves with the body, so there really is not much difference to not wearing it ... you may however want to use a size larger inserts than normally, to accomodate a bit of additional material on your back.
Once again, thanks

You're happy with this setup?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
that's strange...there was a guy who e-mailed 661 if they had thought about making their body armours compatible with the Leatt and they said to him no at present but that it was a good idea for the future, it was in a recent thread here in ridemonkey...
That was me. I asked about plans to implement the removable back protector plate design found on the Coresaver into the pressure suits. This would allow you to wear the brace over your jersey without having to cut any slits. I was told that was not going to happen in 2010.

So it seems most companies think consumers are fine with either cutting up their jerseys or wearing their armor over their jerseys. Sucks.

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
Once again, thanks

You're happy with this setup?
Yep, it's ok. I can't remember having to readjust it during a day of riding or anything like that, the brace is held securely in place by the straps, the protector doesn't obstruct bodys natural movement, so the only time I really notice I'm wearing anything is when I want to look back, and the brace prevents me from doing that. Other than that it's just a kind of "presence" on the chest when breathing, just the way it should be.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Yep, it's ok. I can't remember having to readjust it during a day of riding or anything like that, the brace is held securely in place by the straps, the protector doesn't obstruct bodys natural movement, so the only time I really notice I'm wearing anything is when I want to look back, and the brace prevents me from doing that. Other than that it's just a kind of "presence" on the chest when breathing, just the way it should be.
Ok got ya.

Sounds like I'm better off with another back protector that you actually can get the back of the brace underneath the protector. I do want to see and be able to ride steep tracks.

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
Perhaps you misunderstood me there, on the steeps in the worst case the helmet just kinda sits on the back of the brace ... I got used to that. What I meant by "looking back" was, when you turn your head to see whether there's anybody coming behind you or something like that ... obviously you don't do that on a downhill run :D
Ideally you'd tuck the brace under the protector, but for me it's not really an issue.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Perhaps you misunderstood me there, on the steeps in the worst case the helmet just kinda sits on the back of the brace ... I got used to that. What I meant by "looking back" was, when you turn your head to see whether there's anybody coming behind you or something like that ... obviously you don't do that on a downhill run :D
Ideally you'd tuck the brace under the protector, but for me it's not really an issue.
Yeah, I obiously got it all wrong. So it is possible to get the brace tucked in on the back?

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
If you cut a slit into the fabric just above the protector pouch (and in your jersey) it shouldn't be a problem. With the tight fit of the vest has the brace shouldn't move at all.

Dec 11, 2007
Just to eliminate confusion, I donned some gear to try and show how the new 661 Evo Pressure Suite fits with my Leatt Club neck protector, and threw on a helmet and googles cause I looked like an idiot in the photos without.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Just to eliminate confusion, I donned some gear to try and show how the new 661 Evo Pressure Suite fits with my Leatt Club neck protector, and threw on a helmet and googles cause I looked like an idiot in the photos without.
From those pictures it looks like it does not fit. The brace should rest on the upper back/shoulders, not sit an inch or more above them. The opening at the top of the back plate is too high and/or not wide enough to let the brace slide fully in, look at the gap it leaves between the brace and your shoulders.

The only body armor 661 expilicitly designed to work with the Leatt is the core saver. Your rep might have told you otherwise, but reps will say anything sometimes . . . .

2010 catalog if anyone is interested.
http://sixsixone.com/media/2010_catalogs/2010_661_Cycling_Catalog.pdf
Lots of details on design and function of their new offerings but no mention of Leatt compatibility except w/ the core saver. Not sure why they didn't apply the same design to their other suits so they'd all be compatible, doesn't make much sense to me

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2007
Sorry, in the rearward pic I was trying to show how the brace slipped into the back, it was not seated on my shoulders by 1/4" or so(I pushed my chin down and neck foreward). In the latter two pics it sat snug aganst my shoulders.
When it is in use it rest in full contact with my chest/shoulders/spine.
I guess my pcs weren't the greatest, it's hard to see because it's all black. The space appears larger than it really was. As far as the catalog vs. Rep thing, I don't know. I was only passing on what I was told.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sorry, in the rearward pic I was trying to show how the brace slipped into the back, it was not seated on my shoulders(I pushed my chin down hard on the front and raised the brace to make a space for the pic). In the latter two pics it sat snug aganst my shoulders.
When it is in use it rest in full contact with my chest/shoulders/spine.
it can still touch your chest and spine and not be properly fit.

Fit doesn't look right in any of the pictures, and the brace seems to be stuffed into the back plate as far as it can go so i'm unclear as to how it sits low enough to rest on your shoulders correctly? looks like the chest plate on the 661 suit dos the same thing up front. all the pics look like the brace is being squeezed up by the suit.

whatever works for you, but i wouldn't recommend it