Quantcast

Which breed of dog to get to guard against bears, cheetahs etc.?

E

enkidu

Gecho's post on Holy Pit Bull Batman! thread is giving me second and third thoughts of getting a "guard" dog for our new house we are preparing to build near an Oregon coast town.

It's for a four acre lot adjacent to a state forest. (The newly cleared top lot on the picture.)(oops, can't figure how to post a pic! Sorry I'm a noobie.) Bears, cheetahs, deer, stray dogs have been sighted there.

We were wondering "Rottweilers, German Shepards, Huskies, Dobermans, Great Danes, St. Bernards, Akitas, etc, etc." as Gecho mentions, but if they "are also responsible for a great deal of fatalities..." What do you recommend? How & where do we get the right training?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
apparently you should get a poodle or chihuhua rather than a pitbull or a rot. They are like *way* more aggressive.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
"Gaurd dogs" are a bad bad idea, and almost always useless, to a seasoned thief.

"Watch" dogs on the other hand are great. They can warn you, and make enough noise to make a would be, amatuer skiddish. In that case there are SO many choices.

Doggies are good.

E

enkidu

Australian shepards and Majestic treehounds both sound great. We'll check where we can visit them. Thanks for the input.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
LOOnatic said:
Exactly ;)

Enkidu - there's nothing wrong with the dogs I mentioned, if they're bred, and trained properly. Some of them however aren't a good choice if you have children, or are a first time dog owner. The problem is often people buy dogs that don't suit them, and they take dog ownership lightly and don't properly learn about the breed of dog they're buying. Obviously you're headed in the right direction by asking questions. :)

I would enlist the help of a certified trainer to help pick the right dog for you. If you are a first time dog buyer, it's a good idea to develop a relationship with a trainer before you buy your dog, and let them help you decide, and then train you to train the dog.

It is definitely an investment, but the payoff down the road makes it all worth while.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Barbaton said:
What about a Great Pyrenees? I been wanting a pyr/lab cross for a while...
That's actually the first dog that came to mind. They're awesome for this kind of job, but they are bred to be extremely weary of new things in their surroundings, so you have to take a little extra care to socialize them, and watch them with visitors. Also aren't ideal if you have children, these guys are working dogs for sure.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Golden retreiver... becasue the theif isn't going to be afraid of it and will walk right up to him! No seriously.

My Uncle used to run a manufacturing plant - they actually trained goldens to be attack dogs. When he went to work the morning of the dogs first shift, he found the dog chewing on a sneaker....

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
id say am staff or just a staffie,, pit's were originally bred for one thing. am staffs and staffies are working dogs. great with family's kids, very protective too. but they do need training and socializing,, my pits were great with family kids, other dogs not bad, but if aggravated did not hesitate to make a stand

E

enkidu

I Are Baboon said:
Our little attack dog. She fends off intruders (other animals AND humans) by sleeping in front of them, causing them to trip and hurt themselves.

Yes! That's the kind of attack dog we want! I'll feel more comfortable nurturing it, if it's anything like human babies, rather than whipping a pit bull in shape.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
Our little attack dog. She fends off intruders (other animals AND humans) by sleeping in front of them, causing them to trip and hurt themselves.
i've heard grey's can be good apt. dogs, as they are lazy and love to sleep.... any truth to that?

oh and gecko i'm just givin you ****, dont take it personal, i'm bored today and been cruising puppy sites all day! i musta left the good-natured smiley off the last post ;)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
clancy98 said:
i've heard grey's can be good apt. dogs, as they are lazy and love to sleep.... any truth to that?
100% true. Our pup would sleep all day of we let her. We have to force her outside to pee, poop, and go for walks. She's be perfectly content to sleep in our bed all day. Soooooooo lazy!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
gecko said:
Yeah, I agree, I'd love to have one some day...when I have room :D
Actually Bullmastiffs and English Mastiffs are great apartment dogs.

Bullies are bred for short periods of intense activity followed by lots and lots of sleep. (ie chasing down a bad guy) Roxy is actually as fast as nearly any other dog......for about 45 seconds.

English Mastiffs are just plain lazy. You have to make them excercise.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
But in all honesty as far as dogs, size has nothing to do with heart. Some of the toughest dogs I have seen working at vet clinics are the little dogs that won't take sh!t from any dog.

I think Jack Russel Terriers have a death wish.

Any dog can have the desire to protect whether they are 10lbs or 150lbs.

It doesn't take a big dog to scare off a large animal.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Damn True said:
Actually Bullmastiffs and English Mastiffs are great apartment dogs.

Bullies are bred for short periods of intense activity followed by lots and lots of sleep. (ie chasing down a bad guy) Roxy is actually as fast as nearly any other dog......for about 45 seconds.

English Mastiffs are just plain lazy. You have to make them excercise.
Wow, I didn't know that. Still though, I've already got an Am Staff in my apartment, so it might get a little crowded.

I also want one of these guys, a Cane Corso, who incidently also make great guard dogs enkidu (when they're older). Also great with kids.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
What is it with little dogs squaring off in front of another dog that $hits bigger than they are?

Its the K9 equivelant of you or me walking up to a Raiders middle linebacker, poking him in the chest and yelling F-U ya punka$$ biotch!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
gecko said:
Wow, I didn't know that. Still though, I've already got an Am Staff in my apartment, so it might get a little crowded.

I also want one of these guys, a Cane Corso, who incidently also make great guard dogs enkidu (when they're older). Also great with kids.

Corso's are rad. You do want to stay away from the Brasilero though. Very dangerous dog.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Damn True said:
What is it with little dogs squaring off in front of another dog that $hits bigger than they are?

Its the K9 equivelant of you or me walking up to a Raiders middle linebacker, poking him in the chest and yelling F-U ya punka$$ biotch!
They just feel like they have something to prove. lol there's a pug in our building that that's about the size of my dog's head, and loves to bark at hang off Adler's ears :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
gecko said:

Ooh, i saw a beautiful jet black Cane Corso at Petsmart for social hour last year. 5 months old :: 160lbs. Gonna be a big boy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stevew said:
I think Jack Russel Terriers have a death wish.
:stupid:

Love Jack Russels. A close family friend who I grew up with had them all her life.

One has killed two racoons, a fisher cat (!!), and a couple skunks without getting sprayed. Tough little critter.

E

enkidu

Damn True said:
I was unaware of a significant cheetah population in costal Oregon.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
:p

:p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p :D

laughing so hard, because i thought i read the thread tittle wrong :confused:

Ok, ok. . . even my husband can't stop laughing about the "cheetahs".
Mountain lions, cougars, elks and deer are the ones we have to fend off.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think the whole premise behind this thread is ridiculous. Lions and tigers and bears OH MY!!!! What are you gonna do, go buy a pet dolphin to protect you when you go swimming too?

i think fending away all the Human animals especially the "meth-heads" are to be more of a concern.....

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
enkidu said:
Ok, ok. . . even my husband can't stop laughing about the "cheetahs".
Mountain lions, cougars, elks and deer are the ones we have to fend off.

The elk and deer won't hurt anything, and if you happen to be handy with a compound bow can keep your freezer full of tasty meat.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Damn True said:

Something about "not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog..."?

Jack Russels were bread to be killers weren't they? Sure they were meant for rats, but I think the aggresiveness comes thru anyhoo.