Quantcast

Which breed of dog to get to guard against bears, cheetahs etc.?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Damn True said:
What is it with little dogs squaring off in front of another dog that $hits bigger than they are?

Its the K9 equivelant of you or me walking up to a Raiders middle linebacker, poking him in the chest and yelling F-U ya punka$$ biotch!
After dealing with a 120lb Wolf Hybrid and 150-180lb malamutes and or mastiffs and newfoundlands that were not cooperating when being dealt with, the scariest dog I have come across was a white 10lb tea cup poodle that wouldn't let anyone touch it other than the groomer at a clinic I worked at. Quick as a futhermucker and impossible to get a muzzle on.

And I have been bitten by a dog trainers chow, which he had to have put down because he was aggressive with company at his house.

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, in all honesty, you don't really need a guard dog per se...most creatures will get frightened off by barking in general, and especially by human presence. A jack russell might be perfect :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Mastiff's are REALLY cool dogs. HOWEVER, they are OFTEN big druelers :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Most Bullys are very dry mouthed because their flews (jowls) are tight and upturned. The reason for this is so that if the dog opens its mouth wide enough to latch onto say........an arm the flews collapse into the mouth. So in order to bite say.....an arm they have to first bite through their own cheeks. Point is they REALLY have to want to bite something, there are no accidental "nips".

That said she does like to come over to you just after a healthy drink of water to let you know about it by rubbing her face on your knees.

poisonfrog

Chimp
Jun 11, 2002
I have a ROT and woul strongly recomend one to anyone else. He is a huge people wuss (except at night) and super gental with the family. He has killed a coon and (with two friends) chased a bear of the property when I lived up north (canada)
The dogs are really easy to train and loyal. HE is 10 now and completley usless as a guard dog, but the bark he still has will send anyone trying to break in running for the hills.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I would highly reccomend an Austrailian Cattle Dog.

I have a female and she is outstanding as a trail machine and guard.

2cents

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Damn True said:
The elk and deer won't hurt anything, and if you happen to be handy with a compound bow can keep your freezer full of tasty meat.
You don't want to mess with a male elk during the rut. At any rate people have to understand that if you don't approach animals in a threatening manner, 99.99% of the time you'll be fine.

Sheesh i say just learn up on the local critters, and enjoy nature. You will much more safe than if you lived in some parts of Portland.....

E

enkidu

Damn True said:
The elk and deer won't hurt anything, and if you happen to be handy with a compound bow can keep your freezer full of tasty meat.
I hear that they eat roses and lilacs. What a shame! I would love to have rows and rows of rose bushes on the hilly slope, but would hate to have to surround the area with ugly fence.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
enkidu said:
I hear that they eat roses and lilacs. What a shame! I would love to have rows and rows of rose bushes on the hilly slope, but would hate to have to surround the area with ugly fence.
You are about to enter a battle you are almost sure to lose. You can't live in the country and keep the country out of your little plot.

E

enkidu

Damn True said:
You are about to enter a battle you are almost sure to lose. You can't live in the country and keep the country out of your little plot.

How true. I'll settle with a trusty dog and rows and rows of lavender and thistles.

E

enkidu

Skookum said:
i think the whole premise behind this thread is ridiculous. Lions and tigers and bears OH MY!!!! What are you gonna do, go buy a pet dolphin to protect you when you go swimming too?

i think fending away all the Human animals especially the "meth-heads" are to be more of a concern.....

Just trying to figure out how to coexist with the wild ones, I guess. We are certainly not out to "conquer them" or anything.

"meth-heads" human animals will definitely be more of a real concern.

E

enkidu

surfinguru said:
Rhodesian ridgeback. Very cool dogs. Since they are quite proficient at hunting down lions, should put that cheeta problem to rest, not to mention the hippie population up there in Oregon. :thumb:

A beautiful dog. The characteristics of being "brave, vigilant, reserved toward strangers" might cause a little problem for us, because we have frequent blue-grass jamming sessions and chamber music gatherings.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Damn True said:
What is it with little dogs squaring off in front of another dog that $hits bigger than they are?

Its the K9 equivelant of you or me walking up to a Raiders middle linebacker, poking him in the chest and yelling F-U ya punka$$ biotch!
"Small dog, small brain." I heard that from a park ranger at Mt Rainier who had just witnessed someone's very small dog rush my labrador retriever.

E

enkidu

SkaredShtles said:
Uh oh..........

Sounds like hippies. :p
Yup, we need a hippie-proof dog.

Jack Russels might be too excitable for the guests. We have to seriously look into Masstiff and Australian Cattle Dog, though.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
gecko said:
Wow, I didn't know that. Still though, I've already got an Am Staff in my apartment, so it might get a little crowded.

I also want one of these guys, a Cane Corso, who incidently also make great guard dogs enkidu (when they're older). Also great with kids.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm
hey that pup's wearing diapers. i shouldve thought of that with my dog a year ago.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
enkidu said:
A beautiful dog. The characteristics of being "brave, vigilant, reserved toward strangers" might cause a little problem for us, because we have frequent blue-grass jamming sessions and chamber music gatherings.

Are you hippies? ;)

In all seriousness (rare for me) "reserved toward strangers" in the case of the Rhodie simply means that they are not likely to approach and be affectionate with those they don't know. They are basicly shy.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Damn True said:
Are you hippies? ;)

In all seriousness (rare for me) "reserved toward strangers" in the case of the Rhodie simply means that they are not likely to approach and be affectionate with those they don't know. They are basicly shy.
Yes, but will they chew up a hackey sack?
That is the real question.

E

enkidu

gecko said:
Exactly ;)

. . . I would enlist the help of a certified trainer to help pick the right dog for you. If you are a first time dog buyer, it's a good idea to develop a relationship with a trainer before you buy your dog, and let them help you decide, and then train you to train the dog.

It is definitely an investment, but the payoff down the road makes it all worth while.
We'll start looking for a certified trainer in our area right now. Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

My brothers Ridgeback is a very people oriented dog. Also very large. Large head, thick neck, 115lb lap dog. Loved being around people when we went to a car show about a month ago.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
enkidu said:
Gecho's post on Holy Pit Bull Batman! thread is giving me second and third thoughts of getting a "guard" dog for our new house we are preparing to build near an Oregon coast town.

It's for a four acre lot adjacent to a state forest. (The newly cleared top lot on the picture.)(oops, can't figure how to post a pic! Sorry I'm a noobie.) Bears, cheetahs, deer, stray dogs have been sighted there.

We were wondering "Rottweilers, German Shepards, Huskies, Dobermans, Great Danes, St. Bernards, Akitas, etc, etc." as Gecho mentions, but if they "are also responsible for a great deal of fatalities..." What do you recommend? How & where do we get the right training?

Ask around your new area, and talk to local vets. They often have other clients who are breeders. Vets are very knowedgable about health and temperment issues of various dogs in general, and particularly the ones they care for. They will also know of and have informed opinions of trainers in your area.

Think about how you are going to interact with the dog. Some types need a lot more attention than others. Case in point: read up on the various types of retrievers and you will find that golden retrievers really want to hang out with people, but are laid back. Labs need to work, but also want to socialize. Chesapeak Bay retrievers need to work, but beyond that, are ok alone, kind of aloof, and like to sleep.

Do you want the dog to be in your house? Dogs are social animals. Most kinds do better, behavior wise, if they can be around you, not stuck outside alone. You don't have to give them free rein in your house. Crate training is useful, and having a designated area your dog can be in helps keep them from being underfoot, yet also keeps them from being lonely.

Short hair, long hair? How much maintenace time is required there? How much time do you want to put in?

Good work dogs, and this includes any type of guard dog, are expensive, and then the training is more money, and you have to keep up on the routines with the dog. If you can't or won't, then save your money.

Work dogs also want to work, and will drive you crazy if they don't get to work. If you are a runner, a herding dog may make a great companion. if you are a couch potato, look for a dog that likes to hang out.

You might not need a guard dog. Even an amiable, family pet dog will bark at wildlife and strangers.

Regarding the deer and your landscape: yeah, they like roses and fruit trees, and a lot of other stuff. Yo should think of having a fence around your garden and your roses. Maybe that could also be the fenced part of your yard where you can turn the dog out without worrying about him or her roaming the neighborhood or causing you problems with the state park folks.

Bears? Keep your trash in bear proof containers, and rake up downed fruit in the fall. Don't leave pet food outside.

Have fun with the new house.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd just find a nice mutt...something with reasonably-sized parents.

On the other hand, my brother's gi-normous red Doberman (cropped ears and all) scares the living **** out of nearly everyone, and he's *definitely* going to wake you up when he barks. Sounds like Al Jourgensen at max volume with full voice effects.

I wouldn't worry too much about the breeding...just get a good dog and train it right.

MD

Edit: Or you could get a REALLY big cat...

E

enkidu

stevew said:

My brothers Ridgeback is a very people oriented dog. Also very large. Large head, thick neck, 115lb lap dog. Loved being around people when we went to a car show about a month ago.

Nice earnest solid expression! If she/he survived a car show, maybe banjo sounds would be ok, too.

E

enkidu

MikeD said:
I'd just find a nice mutt...something with reasonably-sized parents. . . I wouldn't worry too much about the breeding...just get a good dog and train it right.
MD

Edit: Or you could get a REALLY big cat...

Yes. Maybe a nice alert mutt with a reasonable size and temperament will do. We'll look around and see what's available and do some checking before we decide.

A REALLY big (tasty looking not-too-nimble) cat might allure hungry mountain lions and cougars, though.

E

enkidu

Damn True said:
They don't like hippies.
Why? Which aspect of what you define as "hippies" do they object to?

What's the opposite of "hippies" in your mind? "Solid citizens"???

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Get a Blue Heeler. They don't get too big (~40 lbs), are really good with kids and other animals, and loyal as anything

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
enkidu said:
A REALLY big (tasty looking not-too-nimble) cat might allure hungry mountain lions and cougars, though.
Don't make me post another picture of my cat...I'm getting worse than DH girlie...

MD

E

enkidu

HarryCallahan said:
Ask around your new area, and talk to local vets. . . .(re) breeders (&). . . trainers in your area.
Yes, a good idea. We will talk to our local vets and ask about breeders and trainers around here. We have a long rainy season here: they may have some special insights on SAD among dogs.

HarryCallahan said:
Think about how you are going to interact with the dog. Some types need a lot more attention than others.
That may present a problem for us. We both travel a lot. Children are grown and out of the house.

HarryCallahan said:
Work dogs also want to work, and will drive you crazy if they don't get to work.
Can't they just run in our yards and up and down the driveway?

HarryCallahan said:
You might not need a guard dog. Even an amiable, family pet dog will bark at wildlife and strangers.
That may truly be the case here. Maybe we are really not ready to commit our time, energy and fund for serious "breeding". We do have to finish building our house after all. At the same time, it is intriguing and tempting enough for us to think of starting a totally new relationship with a fine dog to fill up our empty nest.

HarryCallahan said:
Regarding the deer and your landscape: yeah, they like roses and fruit trees, and a lot of other stuff. Yo should think of having a fence around your garden and your roses. Maybe that could also be the fenced part of your yard where you can turn the dog out without worrying about him or her roaming the neighborhood or causing you problems with the state park folks.
True. I hope we can find an aesthetically pleasing, inviting fence to surround the herb / fruits / rose garden where the dog can freely roam around.

HarryCallahan said:
Bears? Keep your trash in bear proof containers, and rake up downed fruit in the fall. Don't leave pet food outside.

Have fun with the new house.
Yes, we'll keep our trash in our garage and rake up downed fruit. Many thanks for great pointers.

E

enkidu

MikeD said:
Don't make me post another picture of my cat...I'm getting worse than DH girlie...

MD
Is she/he voluptuously finger-licking-tasty-looking type? How do you protect her/him from wild cats? With sheer dignity and good upbringing?

E

enkidu

Radarr said:
Get a Blue Heeler. They don't get too big (~40 lbs), are really good with kids and other animals, and loyal as anything

Australian Cattle Dogs (aka Blue Heeler, Red Heeler or Queensland Heeler)
do look amiable and capable. Very charming. I hope some vets or trainers around here can help us visit one in person.

E

enkidu

BillT said:
How about an Irish Wolfhound or Scottish Deerhound?

Wolfhound:

Deerhound:

They do look huge. Irish and Scottish temperament will be a good match with my husband.