Quantcast

Which breed of dog to get to guard against bears, cheetahs etc.?

BillT

Monkey
The Irish Wolfhound and Scottish Deerhound (which is really a 4/5 scale Wolfhound) were brought to the British Isles by the Romans way back in the day to hunt the native wolf population. I always thought they were pretty cool looking, but are supposed to be a handful if you don't have a lot of space for them to run around in.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
If I were in your shoes I would look into a rotty or a boxer, two of my personal favorites. Both are good watch dogs with an intimidating bark and they incredibly loyal, smart, and athletic.

A friend of mine I grew up with, the son of a vet., had an Irish wolfhound and it was a good thing they had 30 acres of open fields and horses for him to play with because he loved to run. He was very protective of the younger kids in the family and yet was friendly to those he knew well.

We have two shop dogs at work now to keep us entertained, a 10 month old Lhasa Apso and a 4 month old Bull Mastiff. The bully is so damn cute now but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to play tug of war with him. :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ridgebacks are awesome dogs.

But, back on topic, most of the dogs that are protection/guard types (Malinois, Shepards, Ridgebacks, etc.) are not the best dogs for beginners. Also, they don't do well without stimulation. I think Damn True said upthread that working dogs need to work, and that is 100% correct. If you're not around to keep them occupied, they will find something to do, and that is something that likely won't make you too happy.

Big yard, both of you are out of the house all day...personally I'd adopt a couple of greyhounds if you are set on something that isn't a mutt.

edit: Ridgebacks can also be a PITA to train compared to something like a German Shepard. Hounds can be stubborn.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
BillT said:
The Irish Wolfhound and Scottish Deerhound (which is really a 4/5 scale Wolfhound) were brought to the British Isles by the Romans way back in the day to hunt the native wolf population. I always thought they were pretty cool looking, but are supposed to be a handful if you don't have a lot of space for them to run around in.
When I was 19, there was one in the town I lived in. First saw it at night when I was out for a walk; it was about a block away, so I went the opposite direction. About a minute later, this thing comes out of the dark, sniffs my FACE with all 4 feet flat on the ground, and trots off. :eek:

While I had walked a short small town block, this thing had reveresed direction and run around the other 3 sides of the block, plus the block that had separated us.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Silver said:
Ridgebacks are awesome dogs.

But, back on topic, most of the dogs that are protection/guard types (Malinois, Shepards, Ridgebacks, etc.) are not the best dogs for beginners. Also, they don't do well without stimulation. I think Damn True said upthread that working dogs need to work, and that is 100% correct. If you're not around to keep them occupied, they will find something to do, and that is something that likely won't make you too happy.

Big yard, both of you are out of the house all day...personally I'd adopt a couple of greyhounds if you are set on something that isn't a mutt.
Not bad advice.

I've got a neighbor that has two greyhounds; they are big gentle sweethearts. They sleep all day while she is at work, keep each other company, and she walks them religiously every day. They are cool with small kids; well, one leans on them and the other hides behind the owner taking cautious sniffs. But you do have to leash walk them, because if something runs in front of them, they are off to the races.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I have a 6 lbs imperial shih tzu that is willing to go after anything the threatens or looks at my wife the wrong way. He's been known to go after 60-80lbs dogs and have them run away scared, it's quite the sight see the big dog run away from something that is the size of it's paw. They make great watch dogs too, i don't need to a door bell because the dog barks everytime someone/thing steps onto my porch.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
enkidu said:
Gecho's post on Holy Pit Bull Batman! thread is giving me second and third thoughts of getting a "guard" dog for our new house we are preparing to build near an Oregon coast town.

It's for a four acre lot adjacent to a state forest. (The newly cleared top lot on the picture.)(oops, can't figure how to post a pic! Sorry I'm a noobie.) Bears, cheetahs, deer, stray dogs have been sighted there.

We were wondering "Rottweilers, German Shepards, Huskies, Dobermans, Great Danes, St. Bernards, Akitas, etc, etc." as Gecho mentions, but if they "are also responsible for a great deal of fatalities..." What do you recommend? How & where do we get the right training?
Just get a Great Pyrenees and be done with it. :thumb:

You can get some info here.

E

enkidu

johnbryanpeters said:
Bull mastiffs are great dogs.
Bull mastiffs are mentioned many times by devoted owners, but probably we should start with a more naturally tamer breed. Do you have a mastiff yourself?

E

enkidu

gecko said:
I also want one of these guys, a Cane Corso, who incidently also make great guard dogs enkidu (when they're older).
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canecorsoitaliano.htm
Great attributes: "Very loyal, willing to please and quiet around the house. The Cane Corso is highly intelligent and very trainable. Active and even-minded, he is an unequalled watch and protection dog". . . "Docile and affectionate". . . "protective yet gentle". . . "a very stable temperament. It makes an excellent guard dog and watchdog."

But "the Cane Corso requires an experienced owner." Maybe a breed to consider in the future for us.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I suggest a Queensland Heeler! They are medium sized cattle dogs from Australia and need about as much land as you have to be happy. They are not the prettiest looking dogs in the world but I can assure you, nobody is going to take anything from your property and as for the wild animals, these dogs are both fierce and feerless!

Remember the dog in Mad Max? That's the breed!

E

enkidu

Silver said:
. . .most of the dogs that are protection/guard types (Malinois, Shepards, Ridgebacks, etc.) are not the best dogs for beginners. . . working dogs need to work. . . If you're not around to keep them occupied, they will find something to do, and that is something that likely won't make you too happy.

. . . personally I'd adopt a couple of greyhounds if you are set on something that isn't a mutt.

A couple of greyhounds sound really attractive now, if we don't come across a mutt or two that capture our hearts.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
OK here is my two cents.

Sounds like what you really need is a gun not a dog. Maybe you are apposed to guns, fair enough.

Big dogs=big S!#t
Working class dogs (hunters, herders) tend to need a lot of exercise and definitely need training.

In fact most dogs need training, but the funny thing is when they only way 10 pounds it doesnt seem to be as big of a deal. When an out of control Rotty jumps on you, your are going down not so with a chiuaua.

I think your on the right track with finding a trainer first, and many times they will have rescue dogs from people who didnt seek help before picking a breed first cannot handle. The trainer then teaches the dog and for a much lower investment you may be able to get a dog that does what you need it to do.

But there is something about getting them as puppies that is just soooo appealing that you cant resist.

good luck

E

enkidu

ufdff15 said:
I have a 6 lbs imperial shih tzu that is willing to go after anything the threatens or looks at my wife the wrong way. He's been known to go after 60-80lbs dogs and have them run away scared. . . They make great watch dogs too, i don't need to a door bell because the dog barks everytime someone/thing steps onto my porch.
Just saw some pictures of the imperial shih tsu. They are cute. Might be a little too excitable for our music gatherings, though.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
O I almost forgot....get a newfoundland. They are freaking huge. My neighbor had one and I think he weighed in around 170. People and other dogs were scared out of their minds of the thing, but he's probably one of the nicest dogs I've ever encountered. Really laid back breed...just don't mess with their owners because you will get owned hardcore, as was found out by a neighborhood punk who wandered a little to far onto their property and found a 170lb dog sitting on top of him.

E

enkidu

sirknight6 said:
Just get a Great Pyrenees and be done with it. :thumb:
You can get some info here.

Yup, Barbaton introduced me to that web page, too. (above page 1)

The origin of the breed is fascinating:
"The breed likely evolved from a group of principally white mountain flock guard dogs that originated ten or eleven thousand years ago in Asia Minor. It is very plausible that these large white dogs arrived in the Pyrenees Mountains with their shepherds and domestic sheep about 3000 BC. There they encountered the indigenous people of the area, one of which were the Basques, descendants of Cro-Magnon Man." (http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/gpcabreed.html)

Basque and Turkish (Asia Minor) languages are both Ergative. So is ancient Sumerian (3000 BC). I wonder if some dog-related Sumerian terms can be associated with the early Great Pyrenees. I have to check some word lists.

E

enkidu

ufdff15 said:
Here are a few pictures of my dog he's 2 years old

here is one of him with his fur-real pet that is bigger than him

What an adorable dog! How did the cat react when it first saw him? How do they learn to live together so peacefully?

BillT

Monkey
HarryCallahan said:
When I was 19, there was one in the town I lived in. First saw it at night when I was out for a walk; it was about a block away, so I went the opposite direction. About a minute later, this thing comes out of the dark, sniffs my FACE with all 4 feet flat on the ground, and trots off. :eek:

While I had walked a short small town block, this thing had reveresed direction and run around the other 3 sides of the block, plus the block that had separated us.
I believe that the Wolfhound is recognized as the tallest breed of dogs. I just think they look cool and are pretty rare in the states. It is also cool to say they were bred by the ancient Romans to hunt wolves.

E

enkidu

HarryCallahan said:

BillT said:
I believe that the Wolfhound is recognized as the tallest breed of dogs. I just think they look cool and are pretty rare in the states. It is also cool to say they were bred by the ancient Romans to hunt wolves.

Very savvy of HC not to have panicked when he encountered the "tallest breed of dogs" for the first time at night when he was 19. He sounds collected enough to even face a mountain lion or a cougar without loosing his cool.

And BillT, I too enjoy finding the history behind dogs and people. It's like unravelling and appreciating the minute individual sparkling piece of a major mosaic masterpiece.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
enkidu said:
A couple of greyhounds sound really attractive now, if we don't come across a mutt or two that capture our hearts.
Greyhounds are absolutely wonderful dogs. We have three whippets which are very similar in tempermant to greyhounds. They're laid back, sweet personalities, love people, and are a hoot to watch run! Watching how fast they can run is amazing!!! But as for protection....not the greatest. I know our three only bark while playing. Someone comes to the door, knocks or rings the bell, all we get are three excited wiggely butts at the door waiting to see who might come in and pet them :rolleyes: I'm exactly sure about greyhounds...but I don't think they're prone to be barkers either. But as for a great dog that's just content to chill most of the day, can't go wrong :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
...I'm exactly sure about greyhounds...
Same as whippets, only bigger. :D

Do NOT get greyhounds if what you need are watch dogs. If you want a dog that will chase small furry animals out of the yard, greyhounds are great, but they offer nothing as far as protection from humans and large animals.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
Same as whippets, only bigger. :D

Do NOT get greyhounds if what you need are watch dogs. If you want a dog that will chase small furry animals out of the yard, greyhounds are great, but they offer nothing as far as protection from humans and large animals.

ok...so I can't type :)

Didn't think they were barkers either. I know Italian Greyhounds can be because they can be prone to the small dog syndrome. I love the fact that our pups don't bark much....except Jasper has a really annoying habit of trying to be all big bad and tough and be the enforcer when Loosie and Sophie are playing, he just stands there and barks at them, doesn't do a whole lot else, just stands and barks, might try to play, but mainly just is just saying "hey you two, listen to me" ....and he has a sissy sounding bark to top it off :p

But yea, not real good guard dogs...awesome bed warmers though :D

E

enkidu

Velocity Girl said:
Greyhounds are absolutely wonderful dogs. We have three whippets which are very similar in tempermant to greyhounds. . . But as for protection....not the greatest.
I Are Baboon said:
Do NOT get greyhounds if what you need are watch dogs. . . they offer nothing as far as protection from humans and large animals.
Mmmmm, back to square one. Maybe, as Skookie suggests, we'll learn to commune with mountain lions, cougars, elks and deer, and just look for a couple of good companion pet dogs. After all since we don't have any "cheetahs" to worry about in our backyard.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How about an Akita, or a husky or malamute?

You're going to have a hell of a choice, because all dogs are cool. Except the ones that suck.

MD

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
MikeD said:
How about an Akita, or a husky or malamute?

You're going to have a hell of a choice, because all dogs are cool. Except the ones that suck.

MD
Great dogs, but they can be really difficult, probably not ideal for a first time owner.