Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Keep the hummer

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to the VW guy's credit, running lots of negative front camber is the way to get a car to rotate. and fwd, front-heavy VWs need all the help they can get.

fun fact: look at the vast majority of cars out there, upgraded wheels/tires or not, and you'll find them running close to 0 front camber and lots of negative rear camber. you know what that means? UNDERSTEER. yet they probably think their BMW/VW/Alpina is god's gift because they don't know any better.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
i don't even care that much about the gas mileage of it. i was objecting to the clueless BMW-fanboi's assertion that you seem like someone who "likes to drive". the implication of that is not that you like to tool around on jeep trails, but that you appreciate a car that handles well on the road.

the H3 is not such a vehicle. end of discussion

:busted:

God, it's like talking to a brick wall. I merely was explaining that it is possible to 'like to drive' even if you are forced into owning a SUV for the practical reasons. I didn't lose the desire to drive a car that's actually rewarding to drive just b/c I drove an Xterra for 7 years.

Toshi said:
fun fact: look at the vast majority of cars out there, upgraded wheels/tires or not, and you'll find them running close to 0 front camber and lots of negative rear camber. you know what that means? UNDERSTEER. yet they probably think their BMW/VW/Alpina is god's gift because they don't know any better.
You do realize that BMW's are RWD, and even the xi versions are biased about 60/40 to the rear to maintain the RWD driving characteristics? That equals oversteer.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
God, it's like talking to a brick wall. I merely was explaining that it is possible to 'like to drive' even if you are forced into owning a SUV for the practical reasons. I didn't lose the desire to drive a car that's actually rewarding to drive just b/c I drove an Xterra for 7 years.
You do realized Toshi owned a 4WD SUV setup for off-roading and is being a bit hypocritical:busted:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
to the VW guy's credit, running lots of negative front camber is the way to get a car to rotate. and fwd, front-heavy VWs need all the help they can get.

I spent a lot of time and effort to get my camber/caster correct for "ride height" when I did the air ride system on my truck. A lot of people take a stock car, put in lowering springs and call it a day without making the correct adjustments to the rest of the vehicle.

At full dump I had a little too much, at full lift, I had too little, but it was all set up at optimum ride height.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You do realize that BMW's are RWD, and even the xi versions are biased about 60/40 to the rear to maintain the RWD driving characteristics? That equals oversteer.
A) cite the specs that show a rear-biased torque split in xi models. Ni, bimmerforums is not a valid source

B) RWD does not equate with oversteer. You think city buses naturally oversteer because they are rear wheel drive? Do you think the 1 series, by all magazine accounts an understeering pig with a strong engine, oversteers? Give me a break - you're out of your depth.