Quantcast

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
[crossposted from my blog]

Background

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety just released its 2011 status report regarding driver death rates. (I blogged about the prior report in January.) With this new report has come a rash of news articles, such as this one in Autoweek, with the rather bold claims that SUVs have turned the tide, have stopped rolling over, and are now safer than cars.

Well, is this true? The short answer is that "it depends on the vehicle" and as such I encourage you to look at the report's vehicle-by-vehicle driver death statistics itself in order to find your vehicle and see where it may stand. For a more general discussion read on.

So what are the safest vehicles?

The real burning question in your mind is which vehicles, as driven by real life humans, are the safest. (More on that later.) Well, here's that list:

True to the headlines, there are indeed a lot of SUVs and large vehicles in general amongst the safest. This isn't to say that SUVs are necessarily safer as a rule:

1. Statistically all of the vehicles with driver death rates this low are basically in a dead heat: "0" here probably just reflects sampling error. (As a concrete example, the confidence interval for the Mercedes E-Class AWD death rate is [0-43].)

2. Also note that in this list of 26 vehicles there are 7 cars, 3 minivans, and even 1 pickup truck. It's not all SUVs.

3. The cutoff point of 22 is arbitrary, and, as I mention above, not really relevant statistically. Consider vehicles with death rates under 40 instead, still a very good figure, and you get a different mix of vehicles, with 31 SUVs and 30 cars or minivans among the 72 vehicles in total. You can check my work here if you're interested in the raw data.
All that said, it is indeed striking that there no small cars at all amongst the safest vehicles, only "small" trucks that aren't really small at all... This begs the question: Is bigger better?

While overweight and obesity continue to drive our health care costs into the stratosphere, excess weight seems to be good when it's in the form of a vehicle. Heavier vehicles do seem to lead to lower rates of driver deaths, and at any given vehicle weight SUVs as a segment have lower driver deaths than cars. Furthermore, these data appear to show that SUVs are no more likely than cars to cause death by rolling over, independent of vehicle weight. This reduction in rollovers is likely due to better, more car-like unibody designs and widespread adoption of electronic stability control.

While this seems to be common sense, it actually isn't. As I blogged about before, this wasn't always true: while typically safer in multi-vehicle collisions due to their mass, SUVs used to roll over and kill their drivers at rates far higher than now seen, with resultant high single-vehicle accident death rates. This is something new in the past 6 years of vehicle design and construction, in other words.

Not everything makes sense to me regarding the "bigger is better" argument. If height and weight are the only factors at play, why do pickup trucks have higher driver death rates at any given weight than SUVs, let alone higher than cars? Could it be that bro-tatos in pickup trucks drive worse than latte-sipping soccer moms in SUVs? Also, does the subset of cars that only includes luxury cars, midsize cars, and large cars do better than the aggregate group of "cars" in general (including tiny cars and sports cars)? I don't know the answer to these questions.

Limitations/Glitches in the Matrix

The data are adjusted for "driver age and gender, calendar year, vehicle age, and vehicle density at the garaging location," but even so are no doubt very skewed. Speeding, substance abuse, and careless driving habits vary significantly across the population, and specific vehicles will be driven and crashed by skewed samples of the population. Even after attempting to correct for demographic factors as the researchers have done, the driver death data are an imperfect proxy for vehicle safety in isolation, which is what we really care about.

Another limitation is that there is great variation in driver death rates within classes of vehicles (e.g., small 4-door cars). This variation within a vehicle class is often greater than the global variation between cars, SUVs, and trucks. For instance, a Honda Accord and a Chevrolet Malibu are both midsize 4-door cars, yet Accord drivers die at a rate of 19 [confidence interval: 13-25] while Malibu drivers die at a rate of 99 [80-118]. Therefore one should not make across the board claims about the safety of "cars" or "SUVs" without a specific example in mind.

There also must be driver effects that are not being controlled for adequately. The best evidence for this is the varying death rates between badge-engineered platform-mates that only differ superficially. Examples: the Ford Crown Victoria's driver death rate of 33 [27-38] compared to the Mercury Grand Marquis's 57 [50-65]; the Subaru Legacy sedan's 83 [66-100] compared to the Subaru Outback's 40 [34-47]; and the Chrysler Town & Country's 28 [14-42] compared to the Dodge Grand Caravan's 63 [42-84]. Also odd is the sometimes very large variance between 2WD and 4WD models that are otherwise identical: the Nissan XTerra 4WD's 26 [15-38] vs. the Nissan XTerra 2WD's 72 [55-89] is an example in point, with the Nissan Pathfinder demonstrating a similar but less extreme trend.

From the above, we can see that the data aren't perfect. So be it.

Conclusions, or What cars should I avoid?

After staring at these driver death data for several hours I've come to some conclusions:

1. Size does matter, and, as such, a SUV, luxury car, or a large car might not be a bad choice. As a rule, lightweight vehicles do not do well when crashed. Even the best models in these minicar, small car, and sports car segments are only middling, and the argument that active safety (maneuverability) trumps passive safety is simply not borne out in the numbers. At the other end of the spectrum, luxury cars as well as midsize and large SUVs generally are very safe in general, as demonstrated by the list of overall safest vehicles atop this post, with only a few poorly performing models in those categories that buck the trend.

2. Design and country of origin matters. Small Korean cars are particularly unsafe although their larger models are acceptable. Based on this and the prior IIHS study's data I would not recommend that anyone ever buy a Kia Rio, for instance. The Chevrolet Colorado, Ford Ranger, Nissan Titan, and Nissan 350Z are also notable for their tendency to roll over and kill their drivers in inordinate numbers. Although these are the most egregious examples (and likely very influenced by driver demographics in the case of the Z car), the moral of the story is that it still pays to look at an individual vehicle's performance rather than just by going by its segment.

3. Most SUVs indeed have been cured of their rollover habit, but some pickups still turn turtle often. The vast majority of SUVs now roll over at comparable if not better rates than do cars. Keep in mind that there exist a few cars and minivans that tend to roll over, with some of the worst offenders-- worse even than any SUV!--the Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mazda 5, Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac Solstice, and Chevrolet Aveo. Pickup trucks still represent a sore thumb, as some models such as the Nissan Titan, Dodge Ram Super Duty, Ford Ranger, and Chevrolet Colorado roll over with alarming frequency and resultant high mortality.

4. "Going green" will neither kill you nor save your skin. The Toyota Prius is actually the nominally safest small car. It's in a statistical dead heat with the non-hybrid Camry but is edged out slightly by the Camry Hybrid. Similarly, the Civic Hybrid is essentially exactly as safe as the standard Civic. None of these vehicles is particularly safe in the grand scheme, however, even though the hybrid part, per se, isn't doing any harm.
I used to resent the large vehicles that soccer moms throughout the US tend to favor. I thought that they only lent a false sense of security, what with their bulk, high seating position, and, often these days, high "cocooning" door sills. I thought that superior active safety, the increased nimbleness and maneuverability that a smaller, lighter car offers, would trump passive safety when the time of reckoning arrived.

I was wrong.

It turns out that, all other things being equal, physics trumps all... and now, thanks to lower rates of SUV rollovers, "all other things" are indeed equal.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
suddenly i feel even better about buying my wife an Edge. and even worse about driving a lifted fullsize van haha
Lifted van? So you are a pedophile with a small dick? I guess it is better for the kids, less ripping and tearing at such a young age.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The universe is balanced. Burley turned into a hippy and Toshi will soon be driving a used Hummer and talking about the glory days of GWB.
:rofl:

I've given up on trying to save the world in general, it's true. I'm still in no danger of self-lobotomizing myself and going "full-Stoney", though.

I'm also in no danger at all of ever driving a Hummer: the H1s have the worst interior/interior packaging of all time and I've realized that I'm a materials, design, and texture snob, and I resent the H2s and H3s because they symbolize how tasteless and dumb we are as a nation.

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Lifted van? So you are a pedophile with a small dick? I guess it is better for the kids, less ripping and tearing at such a young age.
that must be why no one wants to shuttle with me? i care not. its got coil overs in front and is comfortable as **** to camp/road trip in.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
:rofl:

I've given up on trying to save the world in general, it's true. I'm still in no danger of self-lobotomizing myself and going "full-Stoney", though.

I'm also in no danger at all of ever driving a Hummer: the H1s have the worst interior/interior packaging of all time and I've realized that I'm a materials, design, and texture snob, and I resent the H2s and H3s because they symbolize how tasteless and dumb we are as a nation.
........and don't forget that you've "outgrown" the Porsche 911.....

Toshi's next vehicle will undoubtedly be a hybrid RAV4.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Would you actually make a car purchase based on safety reports?
Yes, in part: I'd never choose a vehicle at the bottom of its category. See "Kia Rio" or "Nissan Titan" as examples.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
You'll never be homeless since you're driving around a phugging Camper.
Still amazes me how many of those things I still see on the road around here. That and the H2.

Even saw one of the H2 pickup/slantbacks yesterday.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I didn't read the entire IIHS report, but I wonder why trucks have a much higher death rate than SUV's.

Is their loads which put them at risk?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I didn't read the entire IIHS report, but I wonder why trucks have a much higher death rate than SUV's.

Pickup trucks still represent a sore thumb, as some models such as the Nissan Titan, Dodge Ram Super Duty, Ford Ranger, and Chevrolet Colorado roll over with alarming frequency and resultant high mortality.

:think:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Do you really care this much about this stuff?
I do enjoy thinking about these things. I want to choose things rationally, not just based on which company had the more entertaining Super Bowl ad.

In any case, I saw the link to the IIHS report earlier this week, emailed it to myself, and then was stuck at the hospital 24 hours on Saturday(-Sunday). In the down time between cases I typed all that up.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

Yeah, but he has a point: Why is it that Nissan Titan drivers roll their vehicles like mad, while (Titan-based) Armada drivers don't? Big pickups don't exactly attract the boy-racer crowd, and even if they did why wouldn't all pickups be affected equally? It's not the Ford Raptor we're talking about, after all…

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
you should get a ford excursion with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel, then you can geek out on bio diesel.
I like the "bugout vehicle" concept--run it on waste veggie oil once the Saudi oil fields dry up!--but Ford sure knows how to make an unattractive interior.

My parents have had an Expedition in the past, which was a pig to drive entirely aside from its gas mileage not to mention quite ugly inside despite being the fancy Eddie Bauer trim. They also briefly had a Lincoln Mark VIII with possibly the poorest interior panel fit I've ever seen.

Here's the Excursion, for the record:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
but really, I would guess it has to do with lack of load. No weight on the rear wheels would allow them to break loose easier and get sideways increasing the chance of a rollover.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
but really, I would guess it has to do with lack of load. No weight on the rear wheels would allow them to break loose easier and get sideways increasing the chance of a rollover.
would they really rollover, or just spin round and round? If there's almost nothing sticking you to the ground, then you're more likely to slide than tip over. Sort of why GFF didn't high-side last week......

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The National Bureau of Economic Research just released a working paper relevant to this thread. Penned by Michael Anderson and Maximilian Auffhammer (both of Berkeley), it's titled The Pounds That Kill: The External Costs of Vehicle Weight. Since I have access through hook and crook and you all probably don't, here's the PDF:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2WDoaJQHlYIMTk1NGJkZjUtZjY3OC00YzIzLTlmMGQtNGRjMDUzNjI0NTU1&hl=en_US

Short summary/their abstract:

Heavier vehicles are safer for their own occupants but more hazardous for the occupants of other vehicles. In this paper we estimate the increased probability of fatalities from being hit by a heavier vehicle in a collision. We show that, controlling for own-vehicle weight, being hit by a vehicle that is 1,000 pounds heavier results in a 47% increase in the baseline fatality probability. Estimation results further suggest that the fatality risk is even higher if the striking vehicle is a light truck (SUV, pickup truck, or minivan). We calculate that the value of the external risk generated by the gain in fleet weight since 1989 is approximately 27 cents per gallon of gasoline. We further calculate that the total fatality externality is roughly equivalent to a gas tax of $1.08 per gallon. We consider two policy options for internalizing this external cost: a gas tax and an optimal weight varying mileage tax. Comparing these options, we find that the cost is similar for most vehicle.
I find this interesting because they look at the external cost of heavier vehicles, namely the increased risk they pose to other drivers, rather than looking at the internal (lower) risk of driver injury as do the IIHS data I wrote about above. Being economists, they also look at how these externalities might be internalized.

What sort of actions would be necessary to internalize these external costs? From the abstract, we see the fatality cost is equivalent to a gas tax hike of $1.08 per gallon (recall that the current Federal gas tax is all of 18.4 cents per gallon with state and local taxes adding roughly another 20 cents depending on where you live). Therefore, the gas tax would have to be raised by this much to "level the playing field", if you will. As a pragmatist I note that trebling the total gas tax is simply not going to happen. If anything, populist pandering will lead to a gas tax holiday before the next election.

Assuming sufficient parking and operating space, which is generally true across non-NYC America, and assuming that one isn't forced to buy the cheapest Kia Rio out there due to being flat broke, this leaves altruism towards other drivers and environmental conscience as the prime motivators in choosing a smaller vehicle. I think altruism is misplaced here, as the reality is that a large portion of our vehicle fleet is in poor condition and driven by unlicensed, uninsured, impaired, or at the very least distracted drivers. As for environmental conscience, we've already covered that one at some length before. :D

Call it an "arms race" as these authors do, but unless the (undeniably real) externalities are accounted for in the pricetag there's no real incentive to go small, in my opinion.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm bumping this thread because the NHTSA has released a new brochure entitled "Purchasing with safety in mind: What to look for when buying a vehicle".

Sounds great, right? They have all these fancy 1- to 5-star ratings, a new slogan of "More Stars. Safer Cars.", an Overall Vehicle Score, and an equally snazzy PURCHASING WITH SAFETY IN MIND-entitled table that shows the star scores for vehicles spanning the whole gamut of available vehicle types.

Well, it's not great at all, in my opinion. In fact, it's actually very misleading. How come? The devil lies in the details, or at least in the fine print, that reveal the initial impression of "more stars equals safer" to be quite false indeed:

Note: A vehicle?s Overall Vehicle Score can be compared with other vehicles of similar size and weight and whose weights differ by no more than 250 pounds.

Note: The frontal crash ratings of a vehicle, like the Overall Vehicle Score, can only be compared to those of other vehicles of similar size and weight. These weights may not differ by more than 250 pounds.
Why is this relevant? Well, if one refers back to the IIHS driver fatality data from the original post the observant reader will note that single vehicle and, especially, rollover incidents now account for a low proportion of observed driver fatalities.

What's left once single-vehicle and rollover collisions (which indeed follow the color-coded star ratings above) are excluded? Multi-vehicle collisions. In these, common types of collisions the bigger vehicle will always win, assuming equal quality of construction/number of airbags/etc. This last caveat is actually pretty big in reality as some popular and massive vehicles such as the 1997-2004 Ford F-150 were actually built really flimsily despite of their inherent mass advantage.

Anyway, just to drive this point home, as it were, here's a video of perhaps the most dramatic of examples, a Fiat 500 involved in an offset frontal crash with an Audi Q7. The ~1000 kg 500 is a 5-star car under the Euro NCAP crash test ratings while the ~2500 kg Q7 is merely a 4-star vehicle?

Jump to 1:00 for the actual test footage:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
On the other hand, if you ever get tagged by something really big, like the omnipresent commercial trucks on our roadways, it's game over.

Skip to 1:30:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
So... drive safe and buy the car that best suits your needs. Safety has got to be one of the least important things unless you wear a helmet to fetch the mail.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is a bit of an aside, but Toshi, did you catch the TEDx Copenhagen talk about why we shouldn't wear bicycle helmets? Thought it was a great thought-provoking talk.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I haven't seen that, but will check it out tomorrow. :thumb:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
So... drive safe and buy the car that best suits your needs.
unfortunately, you can only drive as safe as the coffee charged, phone distracted, canyonaro driving wannabe celebrity soccer mom in the lane next to you...

interesting videos, it was hard to tell, but it seemed like the audi was not traveling as fast as the fiat which makes it even more dramatic.