Quantcast

Which Crankworx events to enter?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
OK - - Crankworx (Whistler) registration should be opening up soon and I have some decisions to make that are going to affect my lodging choices.

The hard reality is that I'm not going to be able to spring for 8 nights lodging up there to catch both weekends, so I am going to have to pick my battles. I originally wanted to do all three DH races: Garbanzo, Air DH and the Canadian Open DH.

However, the way the schedule is this year, the Garby DH is on the first weekend, Air DH on Wednesday and the Canadian Open on the following Sunday. And, of course, I want to spectate the Slopestyle event, so it's a given that I'm going to be there for the second Saturday anyway.

SO my question for you Crankworx veterans: If I can only do two of the three, which are the two best races to enter?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I could take or leave the Air DH.

The Garbo DH rockz teh sockz off. Do it.

The Canadian Open courses (2 and 3 years ago when I did them) have been hit or miss for me. I think it was 2 years ago when they just fresh cut a run down the ski slope into a hucker road gap to left hand sweeper (super sketch @ 30mph) then cut a fresh, twisty root-fest into lower joyride... Then the day before the race, tossed in a 20 foot double/step-down-ish thing right at the finish line.

I say race Garbo, ride a bunch, get wasted, watch the slopestyle, sleep it off, go home.

Edit: Ah...didn't realize that the Slopestyle wasn't until the second Saturday...hmmmm....sleep in the car?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Garby is the race I was REALLY looking forward to doing the most. Just wish they'd backloaded it on the week. If the CDN Open isn't a 'must-do' though, I can at least keep the Whistler lodging down to 6 or 7 nights.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
open course last year was super rad, albeit short and fast, super gnar though! the events guys work their asses off, it really has to be this way for the schedule, there are so many events going on!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Thanks for the thought. I would stay more frugally; however, I already have accomodation lined up on Blackcomb - - bro deal at a nice place we've stayed before. My better half is coming with me and I want to make it a nice Whistler vacation for her as well. And I have other 'entourage' (son/daughter-in-law) coming too.

So it's not so much a matter of 'how can I stay the cheapest?', but, rather, 'how can I get the most bang for my buck?' If I was bachin' it, I'd be camping down the road at a Provincial Park.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I've raced all events before and have to say I won't race the air dh again. Don't get me wrong I loved rallying Aline scrubbing all the jumps, but it was kinda scary going that fast hitting those jumps. If results are important to you I would also say don't do the air dh since there will be soooooo many people doing it.

Besides, the Garbo DH and Canadian DH is absolutely SICK!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Do the Garbo DH. The course is a real challenge, especially when it's wet and slippery up top, damp and tacky mid mountain and then you hit some dust at the bottom.....