Quantcast

Which Cruiser?

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all,
I've been looking at the new wave of cruisers hitting the market that have been started off by the Sunday Model C. I live in the UK so to import a Sunday will cost.
The 3 I'm looking at are:
(1) Sunday Model C - will it be worth the wait?
(2) WTP Avenue/Avenger 2010 - really like the look of it.
(3) FIT 24 - in my mind all FIT bikes are over priced for what you get.
I've also looked at 20" and 22" but I think all 20" are too small for my frame and age - 6'1", 200 lbs and aged 38 - although I am so very tempted. I am interested in the faction but am very worried about reliability on supply of parts.
Any thoughts welcome.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The FIT doesn't hop well because of the "cruiserish" BB (and CS to a lesser extent). If you want to ride street, that may bum you out. For trails, it may not matter as much.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
I have ridden the Fit and even though it has similar geometry to the Sunday, the bikes are worlds apart. I have been riding the new Sunday model c for about a month now and I couldn't be more stoked with this bike. It is definitly worth the wait!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i have ridden the FIT and i have ridden 2 Model C's (one with the 7" model c bars, the other with T1 bars).

i preferred the FIT. it reminded me of my S&M Widowmaker, except with a steeper head angle. the 13.75" bb on the Model C felt too high to me. (i think i'd have to run 8" rise bars to make it workable.)

i think that 12.25" bb like on the Union Street Molly Maguire is a great bb height for a 24". it's high enough for clearance on rails, ledges and coping . . . but it's low enough to make it comfortable.

similarly, my Blackmarket MOB 26"... with a 12.25" ish bb is my favorite bike ever (and i've had 30+ bmx bikes and only 3 mtb's).

i think Jim C designed the Model C for a different type of cruiser rider. he's a shorter rider who has always felt comfortable on 20"s. he also has said he never liked traditional cruiser geo, and from what I can tell he hasn't spent any time on a mtbmx.

my impression is that most tall guys who choose cruisers choose them specifically because they don't like the hunchy way-above-the-bike feeling of a 20".

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
my impression is that most tall guys who choose cruisers choose them specifically because they don't like the hunchy way-above-the-bike feeling of a 20".
Spot on - that's me!
I have been trying the mtbmx thing for a while with a dmr transition with low cruiser bars.
Problem is the bike is waaay heavy though good fun, especially for street.
I have also seen a recent series of 20" bikes with bigger frames e.g. United 40HT and Fit Lurch all with longer top tubes (typically 21.25+) and longer chain stays. These look promising esepcially with bigger bars. The Macneil deuce deuce is just all wrong in my eyes.
This is also why the Faction 22" wheel bike attracted me - taller at the front and with a relatively lower bb (not much lower). I just wish I could be sure of supply with the Faction bike. There again it's well priced and if you buy spare parts at the same time this could see you through.

You know, I was looking at picures of old school bmx's - they had typically 19 inch top tubes with longer chain stays. I think they didn't feel like you were on top of the bike because we all had the seat so bloody high!
I had an Ammacco freestyle pro with CW bars - anyone know how high these bars were? Why are seats so low today?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
here you go.......... the 2009 we the people avenue 24" on closeout in the UK:

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s8p1007&tbv=WETHEPEOPLE_Avenue_24_BMX_BIKES_BMX_

i have ridden this bike. it is light, compared to other complete cruisers of similar style, and feels comfortable. i manualed down the block second try. 180 bunnyhop, no prob.... whatever man, it's up to you.

your DMR is a good bike too.. you could just get some lighter parts... or pick up a rad light 24" mtbmx frame like a Tonic Fall Guy or Superco Satellite.

the Faction is probably not much lighter than your DMR....

Oscarito

Chimp
Dec 1, 2009
i love the sunday model c,altough im not sure of the high bottem bracket, i have to try it first and the problem is i cant find any overhere in holland im not even sure if there is complete.
i can buy the frame ,fork and bars but it would cost me over 600 euro for the three pieces.
And the wtp avenger 2010 costs about 530 euro complete and its only 12.06 kg/2.66lbs

does anybody have the weight of a complete sunday model-c?

Buy the way respect jon faure i read the article on sundaybikes and you inspire me to go tru , im over 32 and fell in love with biking about a year ago.

im searching for a good 24" inch street bike and i think i found it in the model-c/avenger really liked the idea about changing the geo to make them more bmx.
A 20" feels to small for me and 26" too big im riding a 2009 shonky but dont really like it.
I had a 2007 24" NS capital and i felt most comfartable on that one

half december im going to try 2more bikes before i make my choise and thats the wtp avenger and the trust 2010

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
i love the sunday model c,altough im not sure of the high bottem bracket, i have to try it first and the problem is i cant find any overhere in holland im not even sure if there is complete.
i can buy the frame ,fork and bars but it would cost me over 600 euro for the three pieces.
And the wtp avenger 2010 costs about 530 euro complete and its only 12.06 kg/2.66lbs

does anybody have the weight of a complete sunday model-c?

Buy the way respect jon faure i read the article on sundaybikes and you inspire me to go tru , im over 32 and fell in love with biking about a year ago.

im searching for a good 24" inch street bike and i think i found it in the model-c/avenger really liked the idea about changing the geo to make them more bmx.
A 20" feels to small for me and 26" too big im riding a 2009 shonky but dont really like it.
I had a 2007 24" NS capital and i felt most comfartable on that one

half december im going to try 2more bikes before i make my choise and thats the wtp avenger and the trust 2010
Many have talked about the bottom bracket being to high but that is what makes this bike work so well. When I switched from my mtb to my model c, the bottom bracket was a full 2.5 inches higher and I had no problem getting used to it. As a matter of fact, it felt perfect immediately!

As far as the weight, my complete weighs a little under 25lbs. I don't have anything special on it as far as being really light weight. I would assume the new complete would definitely be under 26lbs.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi Jon - again!
I just measured my bb height on my DMR MTBMX - it's 12.5" from the ground so if the Sunday is 13.75" form the ground I'm only looking at a small increase - this coupled with 8"+ rise bars and I reckon it'll ride really good like you say.
I'm wondering how close the WTP 2010 Avenue/Avenger is to the Sunday? Same TT length of 21.25 but I think the WTP has a slightly (0.25) longer CS length.
All in all I think I'll wait for the Sunday bikes to comeout in the spring then do a price comparison. Having said that I'd defo want taller bars on the WTP so I'll have to factor that cost in plus probably replacing it's front wheel so all in all I think I'll be going for the Sunday when it comes out.
Many thanks for your comments in several threads.

roadwork

Chimp
Nov 19, 2009
From the looks of it, the 2010 Avenue/Avenger looks like it has a similar BB height to the Sunday Model C. I too live in a country where it would be impossible to find a Sunday complete to test ride and I would also get killed on the import duties. The bike shop here in Korea has a 2009 WTP Avenue with different geometry and from what I understand, they won't be getting the 2010 model. (I couldn't understand the explanation...too technical)

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
I bought my Sunday Model C without ever riding one. I just went to the Sunday site, watched the video, read about it and knew it was the bike for me. Loved this bike from my first pedal and more and more each day. Everyone that I let try my bike, loves it. Haven't had a negitive review yet.

About the WTP, never seen one and I haven't even heard about anyone online that has one. Photo looks cool, that's about it.

Jim C seems like he has put a lot into this bike and I really don't think you can go wrong with it. The new complete will be worth the wait!