Quantcast

Which DH brakes?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Which is what they have always been.
Are you like 15? Don't you remember their plans for a coil dh shock? Magura Big un Fork, Gustav, 2004 Luise. Most of their old xc stuff was weak and dh was top end for them. Now they dont make crap for that market.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Im talking way before 04. Trials and XC brakes, before freeride copouts and DH dream plans which every company had then.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I use Juicy 7s on my FR bike, Old style XT/Saints on the HT, and Elixir CRs on the DH rig. Of the 3, I like the Elixirs the best. MOre power than the Juicys more adjustable and lighter too. Avid factory bleeds are always a bit questionable, but once re-bled they are golden.

OP, if you are still in MA, the Elixirs will be more than enough for anything around (Jiminy, Highland, Diablo, Platty). I use mine at Whistler with no fade at all, even at the end of a long day of Garbo laps.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Elixirs will be more than enough for anything around (Jiminy, Highland, Diablo, Platty). I use mine at Whistler with no fade at all, even at the end of a long day of Garbo laps.
meh, id beg to differ.
i ran them for almost two years and i always wanted more power.
putting the old Code calipers on made a small improvement, but not a lot.

i was thinking of getting the new Codes, but they seem like the old Elixr levers w/ new calipers.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
The most adjustment for where the brake grabs relative to the bar and its position from the bar beforehand is going to be Hayes Primes.

I used to run Hayes, then did Avid for a year based on all these internet reviews and went back to Hayes 2 years ago. Turns out the internet doesn't always know what I want.

I'm getting a set of Primes next year to replace my Stroker Aces. The Aces have been awesome but I want the dead stroke adjust as well as lever position the Primes have.
so even though the stroker aces have dual pistons, the primes have just as good of stopping power? and the only other difference is the other adjustments that can be made? I am not certain which ones to go with.....

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
THE ONES, go for THE ONES, they're the best brake out there I've tried.
Although I'm keen to try some XTRs, and XTRs with Saint caliper.
But they lack pad contact, and that's a deal breaker for me.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I've had the worst luck with my Elixers. I've gone through 3 pairs now. I only ran them since Avid always replaced the brakes for free. The Elixer's I though modulated good, but had terrible power. They would fade tons. My juicy 5's did a better job. I'm currently running some Juicy Carbons with Code Calipers with Goodridge lines and the brakes are a beast! Tons of power and modulation what i've been looking for:thumb:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm currently running some Juicy Carbons with Code Calipers with Goodridge lines and the brakes are a beast! Tons of power and modulation what i've been looking for:thumb:
I ran a similer set up without the lines, then switched to Elixir levers with code front caliper(not sure what I prefered, I seemed to not be overly happy when I made the switch from Juicy to Elixir, but was happy enough to keep the set up.
Went from this to The Ones, and they're a smidge more bighty, but have more power(although I only notice on the front).I'm guessing your braided lines would make them powerful enough.
This was all with the old Codes, are you using the new or old ones? Anyone gone from the old Codes to the new? Much difference?
Some great choices of brakes out there now. I don't think "power"should be sold as a reason to not have moduation though.

Last edited: