Quantcast

Which DSLR

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
I use to take a lot of action shots mostly bmxing, and for a couple of reasons i had to stop, anyway i want to get back into it and i was wondering if any of you had some suggestions.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
What sort of price point are you looking into? I'm a firm believer in starting higher up on the performance ladder, if you know photography something you'll stick with.

Your best bet will be to go to a store and feel the different models. Most of the cameras in the same pricing bracket will more-or-less be the same. It's just a matter of how comfortable each one is to you.

I started with a Canon 30D and couldn't be happier. It does everything I could ever want. The Nikon equivalent is the D200. It has a few more features, but is also a bit more expensive. I went with the 30D simply because it was nicer to hold, and I liked the control layout better. Now that the new 40D has been released, that's a sure-bet too. These are all in the high-middle performance range. You can generally find kits for $1500 (too lazy to convert to pounds, sorry) or so.

For something cheaper, look into the Nikon D80, or Canon 350D (Rebel XTi). Something more expensive, look into the Canon 5D.

Hope this helps!

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my 30d has served me well and I have no ambitions of changing it out anytime soon. Had it a couple years now. Great camera body. My lens selection consists of a 50mm f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 L and a 17-40 f/4L. For me, it's the total package.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Hasn't the 30D only been out a year or so? :D

A 5D wouldn't be ideal for sports. You'd be better off with a 20D, 30D, 40D.

You should get this!

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Hasn't the 30D only been out a year or so? :D
dpreview said:
Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 21 February, 2006: Canon today announces the EOS 30D, replacing the award winning EOS 20D. Retaining the 5fps, 8.2 Megapixel performance of its predecessor, the upgraded camera enjoys a larger, wider viewing angle 2.5” LCD, extended 100,000 shutter cycle durability, spot metering, and a variety of refinements designed to enhance the photographic experience. Targeted at an increasingly discerning population of serious creative photographers, the EOS 30D replaces a camera that already claims a significant share of the Western Europe D-SLR market, which grew by 120% in the last 12 months*1.
on a related note, 1Ds MarkIII = :drool: