Quantcast

Which finger/s do you brake with?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just out of interest, which finger/s do you use to brake whilst riding?

I have always used my middle finger, because I find it makes it easier for me to keep a good grip on the bars with my thumb and index finger at all times. I've noticed I am probably in a minority with this, watching race footage and various videos, most people seem to use their index finger, but there are a few of us middle finger guys out there. I can't even use my index finger now, it just feels plain wrong, and the grip I have with the other three fingers is nothing like as good.

Any other middle fingers out there?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Usually index if I'm just tapping the brakes, middle if my I really need to stop, or index/middle if my sucky slider has given me arm pump and I can hardly hold on anymore. :p :rolleyes:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I used to ride my Hayes with either my middle finger or middle and index, now I ride my Hopes with just the index.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Changleen said:
Just out of interest, which finger/s do you use to brake whilst riding?

I have always used my middle finger, because I find it makes it easier for me to keep a good grip on the bars with my thumb and index finger at all times. <snip>

Any other middle fingers out there?
We are in the minority. I use the middle finger exclusively. If it's a really long gnarly descent I'll throw in the index if necessary. I find I'm *much* more comfortable with the index providing grip instead of braking.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I go back and forth with my right 'cos I've got rapidfire shi*ters. My left is a dedicated index though. Then again my HT has no front brake!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
SkaredShtles said:
We are in the minority. I use the middle finger exclusively. If it's a really long gnarly descent I'll throw in the index if necessary. I find I'm *much* more comfortable with the index providing grip instead of braking.
I think we're better than everyone else. :love:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think I am an index & middle for DH (although I haven't been able to ride DH this summer so I can't remember what I do there) and one or the other for XC (I alternate depending on the terrain).

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Yep, its pretty much index finger all the time. I have my brake levers set in on the bar far enough so that the end of it is just perfect for my index finger. I find that I get maximum control that way.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Index only for front brake and index & middle for the rear......Supposed it came from learning to ride "moto: style brakes when I first got my DH bike. Kept me from going over the bars (I did enough of that on my own....didn't need the brakes doing it to me)

Them Magura Gustavs were STRONG especially coming off of LX V-brakes. :D

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Index finger on my DH bike and Fred Flinstones style with my feet when I'm on my beach cruiser cause I gotta keep the hands free for the beer.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Index only, even on long decents. I might switch to middle finger if I was riding w/ GWB ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Index, with my levers run so that I'm using the tip of my finger at the very end 'hook' of the lever. (Generally, that means running them inboard and fairly close to the bar, 'cuz I have stubby fingers.)

If you're running discs and feel you need 2 fingers to brake, IMHO, your levers aren't set up optimally, and/or you just need to practice 1-finger braking and you'll find it's a lot easier and less fatiguing, while giving you a lot more control of your bike.

I've seen pics of the middle-finger brakers, and it wierds me out bad to even think of doing that.

MD

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's actually really nice once you get used to it, as your index and thumb have a great grip on the bar at all times.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Skookum said:
Depends which bike i'm riding and what trail i'm doing, but generally i use my penis.
Yah, I guess you just jam it between the wheel and the frame, eh?