Quantcast

Which fork 2010 888 or Boxxer or 40

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
I know this has been discussed, which fork which is better this or that, but not for my particular parameters. If you can provide a useful comment to a useful thread please do so, but I don't need to hear to search, I have.

Right now, I have an 888 RC3 so I can by far get the best price on the new 888 as MARZ said they will let me trade in my RC3. So the question is go that route or a Boxxer Team or a Fox 40 or anything else that falls into the price range of the Team or 888, the fox would be used.

This is what I am looking for, I am 225 lbs with gear. I am not the smoothest rider but not a complete plow rider either. I am looking for a fork that will have the ability to have a lot of LSC. I want my fork to ride high in the travel and to not dive under breaking, but when i hit a rock garden or something I want the HSC to be open to use most if not all of my travel. Past 888's I have had have been bad with brake dive and on very very steep descents the fork just compressing for basically no reason.

So from these characteristics, what would be my best bet? I am not looking to do all of the modifications you can to a Boxxer internally, if shimstacks are availbale from Marz or someone can guide me I will change that, but nothing too extreme.

As far as maintenance goes I do not care what has to be done as long as it is reasonable, and I do not have the Boxxer, but I think it should come ready to ride and should not have to be inspected first but thats another story.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i might hear alot of **** for this, but being as you say your 225 and not the smoothest rider, id scratch the boxxer from the bat, that fork is insanely light, that being said, i prefer the ride of a fox 40 over the ride of most of my Marz forks. It DOES have lsc and hsc, so it meets your criteria. however, marz will be the "strong" fork of the group. If i was in your shoes i would be thinking more of do i want the nice ride of a fox 40, or the minimal maintenance of a marz.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
That is kind of my thoughts on the Boxxer some also, and maintenance, if it works its okay, but what I more so meant was I don't want to do UDI or Socket's internal stuff to the Boxxer, what maintenance is involved with the 40?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
That is kind of my thoughts on the Boxxer some also, and maintenance, if it works its okay, but what I more so meant was I don't want to do UDI or Socket's internal stuff to the Boxxer, what maintenance is involved with the 40?
oil changes, personally i dont do ANYTHING to any of mine, and they work fine, however, alot of people complain about issues, other than that, somebody else has to chime in and talk about it.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
If I understand what you need then you could achieve the desired performance by changing oil weight. A heavier oil will increase the dampening, the most convenient system to work on is an open bath system and the Marz and Boxxer have this. If the Boxxer's Mission Control is anything like my Totem Solo Air then it a very easy task to change the oil. The Marz - well you know about this one ;)
40's - cartridge system and a lot of work in comparison to the others to "tweak".

Personally I am keeping a good eye on how the Marz Evo Ti and Boxxer Team / WC shape up. I am not keen on sinking hard earned $$$ on 1st Gen products ( time will tell )

HTH

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I was always a big Marzocchi guy but they have been a let down the past few years. I have converted to Fox and love their forks. Just bought a Glory 1 it came with a Boxxer Team it looks nice and has a bunch of adjustments but i swapped it out for my 40rc2. I just still don't trust RS, all I can remember how Boxxers used to blow up all the time and needed constant maintenance.

The 40 is great for having all those shiny knobs, but the compression adjustments on the 40 really do sweet **** all.

The only 40 model that does anything in the way of LSC (I know what you're after, I run my forks identical), is the 'World Cup' edition with the Atherton stickers on it. It has a slightly heavier shimstack, which the other 40's lack.

To be completely honest; if you're happy with your current 888's (aside from the insane lack of compression) then jump on board with the new ones. First impression reports are throwing back nothing but good stuff, and I'm fairly sure it is the LSC shimstack which can be removed / changed / thrown at stuff.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
hmmmm. This is interesting. I'm a bigger guy too......6'1" and 210 with gear, and have run several Marz forks, and now have 2010 40Rc2. My 2007 888sl had great lo speed comp, but I find the 40 has great comp adjustment. The Lo-speed works great and I can notice a distinct change in square edged hits when I adjust the Hi-speed. The rebound is very effective as well.
I run the green spring, only about 5 clicks of lo-speed com, 8 clicks of hi-speed. The fork stays up in its travel, has great small bump, and I get full travel on the big hits.

hope this helps

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Damn, are you guys comparing current forks? The new boxxer is much improved over the old one. Very stiff and well thought out. Has adjustable Hi and Lo speed compression (and rebound, kind of). Rebuilding is easy though you need a circlip tool.

I've only ridden mine (10team) a teeny tiny bit, but it's already stiffer than my previous 08 WC. People who ride way faster and more than I do love theirs (trumpores). Honestly, you may have to put a little effort into whatever fork that you buy, but you can't be scared by it. Boxxers, Foxxers, and 888s all will need maintenance and personal tuning...it's unlikely that any will need complete revalving out of the box.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
but what I more so meant was I don't want to do UDI or Socket's internal stuff to the Boxxer
If you get a New 35mm Boxxer there's no need to worry about that.. That being said I'm about 225 also and have a '07 Boxxer WC. I love it after removing some shims in the compression cartridge it feels great, and with the air I can get the exact feel I want.. But maintenance on the older 32mm Boxxers is a bit tedious(re-greasing seals/replacing lubricating oil).

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
okay based on my criteria of I want to be able to run a lot of LSC to keep the fork high in travel but have HSC more wide open to get full travel through say rock gardens, what would my best choice be? and what could i get for my 888 rc3, reasonable price, not giving it away?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
If you get a New 35mm Boxxer there's no need to worry about that.. That being said I'm about 225 also and have a '07 Boxxer WC. I love it after removing some shims in the compression cartridge it feels great, and with the air I can get the exact feel I want.. But maintenance on the older 32mm Boxxers is a bit tedious(re-greasing seals/replacing lubricating oil).
Maintenance isn't any different with the new boxxer. You'll still have to remove the lowers to replenish seal lubrication and oil for the bushings. It was anything but tedious with the 32mm boxxer. The 35mm boxxer requires the same attention and care, and if anything, is slightly more tedious with the dual-rebound knobs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
exactly...once I figured out (too late) how to maintain my boxxer, I kicked myself for not doing it regularly. I couldn't believe it was two allens and a tap tap tap.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have th boxxer WC now and love it I also have a TI888 evo that Im tuning currently before I slap it on and ride and had the 40s and they are all great forks, require different maintenance but great forks none the less. The 2010 boxxer stuff has been ironed out I had a first run 2010 wc and they swapped out the stuff rode beautiful I have a 4 week old WC and LOVE it they did swap some stuff (different lowers nad some internal updates) from the first runs to finish them off.
I ride Zocchis and really content BUT the other forks kick @$$ as well.

Zocchi - reliability, plush, strong
Fox - Great control, stiff and incredible small bump compliance
Boxxer WC - great small bump, tracks great, light and tuning is a dream

They all great and in 2 years foxs comp has gotten better, boxxers stiffened it up a bit and marzocchi got user friendly and light!

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
what can i expect to get for me 888 rc3, being reasonable, very good shape, looking to sell it, but not give it away? Also, anyone have anymore information on the avy carts? and anymore debate about 2010 boxxer team or the 2010 888?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
sorry to ask more of the same thing with this, but basically my options are sell this fork which i dont know what it is really worth and get a boxxer team, or new 888 at that discount but that is if i trade my fork, or get an Avy which to be honest is what I want to do, but the price difference is big and i do not know what my fork is truly worth? anyone care to say much more about my situation here?