Quantcast

which fork for a specialized P.3?

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
I currently have a santacruz bullit with a zochi z.1 fr, 130 mm. I just got a specialized P.3 with a sherman jumper, 110 mm. I also have a zoochi dc shiver comin soon, that i will put on the bullit. So i am thinkin about puttin the z.1 ont he p.3 an sellin the sherman. Wat are do u guys think about that? Any other ideas?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
both forks = good.

More street than trail, maybe take the sherman. More trail then street, maybe run the z1. Z1 will obviously be taller and have a better feel to it (hscv vs tpc).

Nice choice on the shiver.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
It's all personal preference, really. If your a serious street rider or dirtjumper, keep the sherman. If your going to be doin rougher stuff, slap the Z-1 on

-Chris

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I would keep the Sherman on the P3 because it would be better on the dirt jumps and street and stuff and for the downhill you could use the bullit, or if your gonna do dh stuff on the P3, put on the Z1

Edster1000

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
Amarillo
Yeah those shermans are sick, but I heard that the shermans on the 05 P.3's have defects. Im not exactly sure what is wrong with them but my local bike shop was told to not sell the P.3 that they have because of defects. Thats all I have heard, so you may want to research that.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
My sherman is fixed. If there is a decal that says there is a "tire clearence upgrade", its fine, but yea i already checked, cuz a friend told me about the recall. But thanx anyways

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Mattoid said:
Why would a z1 mess with the handling? Its got 20mm more travel.
The bike isn't designed around a five inch fork. It might be fun for a little bit to have more travel, but I'll bet the change in geometry in going from a 3 inch (the sherman is 3 inch right?) to a five inch fork would really jack the bikes handling. I have a P1 with a 100mm shiver SC on it, and it handles really well. I personally would not go with more travel than that.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
it has 110 mm, so thats around 4 in i think. I use to use my bullit to ride to class, but its just a big bike, an lockin it up probably wasnt the best idea. So i will be usin the p to go to class, urban freeride on my college campus, some trail ridin, on some local dirt jumps, maybe mt cross racin. I will be doin a lot of stuff with this bike. I dont do a lot of dirt jumpin, but maybe if we get some more built i might get into it more. Just a lot of urban freeride. Plus its real fun ridin to class, knowin u can jump down stairs an crap, makes goin to class more fun.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
heh heh funny. No rigid for me. If i wanted rigid i would have just gotten a bmx bike. I like to have some suspension to save my ass if i screw up a stunt or somethin

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Mutilatedjak said:
heh heh funny. No rigid for me. If i wanted rigid i would have just gotten a bmx bike. I like to have some suspension to save my ass if i screw up a stunt or somethin
That's exactly why you should get a rigid, it will make you not screw up, cause you don't want to kill yourself, right? You will become a better rider because of going rigid.
And why does everybody say you should just ride a bmx bike instead of a rigid singlespeed mountain bike? Maybe I prefer the size of a 26" wheeled bike. Much more comfortable really, and no less capable.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
well i havnt had a hard tail since i was 11, and i am 19 now. I have ridden full suspension pretty much since i became a serious mt biker, so the gettin a hard tail, i think, will improve my riding skills, compared to a full suspension. But maybe once i get more comfortable on the p3 i might consider rigid.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
it sounds like your gonna be doing all ur big hit stuff on ur dh bike so whats the point in putting the z1 on ur p3 if u didnt buy it for big hit stuff ?