Quantcast

Which fork should I get?

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Hi.
I'm new to this forum. Though, I have been lurking for a couple of years, but never signed up.

I was hoping to get a little help on which fork I should get.

Going to build up an 08 Morewood Izimu, and my two choices are 08 Boxxer WC and 08 888 RC3 WC.

The thing is I don't have the chance to test ride any of those. My current fork is an 07 888 RC2x VA and the fork I had before that was an White Brothers DH 2.0. Both of them sat on Canfield F1's.

So, what should I do?

Thanks for any input :)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
does the izimu have a 1.5 headtube? cause i'm pretty sure you could fit a spork to a 1.5 headtube, and sporks are becoming the new thing

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Depends on what your building it for. As a full-out DH race rig that you want to have light i'd say go with the boxxer, if it's more of a do everything including DH and some FR, a 888 might be better suited

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sorry, i had to get the joke out the way first.

your choice in fork depends a lot on what you want out of it. if you race a lot and weight/performance are top priority, then go with the boxxer.

also, if you tend to tune your stuff a lot and give your bike lots of regular maintenance, you'll be very happy with the boxxer.

the 888 is still a great option though, they perform excellent, but are a little heavier than the boxxer, and don't require quite as much maintenance.

honestly, i don't think you would be disappointed with either option. just my $.02

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I will do both, racing and fr. I don't like the idea of too much maintenance actually, but I sure like the way a race bike rides. Does the Boxxer WC require that much maintenance?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Boxxer WC or Fox 40RC2

If your going to spend the $$$ to get a WC you might as well get the best Fork out there, the Fox 40RC2. The weight is not that much of a difference, but you will see the advantage of a stiffer fork with the 40.

Mt 2 Cents!!!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I will do both, racing and fr. I don't like the idea of too much maintenance actually, but I sure like the way a race bike rides. Does the Boxxer WC require that much maintenance?
It doesn't require that much maintenance actually. Just more when compared to the 888

Jan 29, 2005
It doesn't require that much maintenance actually. Just more when compared to the 888

That being said, the motion control boxxers are far and away the easiest forks to work on. Extremely tough and simple, less things to go wrong, etc.

For this reason (and the fact that ANY dh fork requires alot of maintenence) I'd go with the boxxer.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
looks like your finally seeing the light kolsen . if you go back and look at old threads people are having problems with the 40.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
dhmike: yeah, but I also heard of people having problems with their boxxers. I have had one parking lot test on a sunday with boxxers and the fork felt amazing compared to my 888 rc2x va.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Now that the Izimu comes with 1.5" headtube, and I'm going to run a Boxxer WC I'm in need for some headset suggestions. I am all new to this 1.5" so I have no clue on what to get since I'm going to run a boxxer.

I know that I need the e13 reducers, but what kind of headset should I get?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Yes, I have searched but didn't get any smarter.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
good choice most of my friends ride boxxer and have no problems,they also beat the crap out of them and never maintain'em.but most of there bikes came from josh bender.

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
FCLinder: No, that's not what I meant. The 08 Izimu comes with an 1.5 headtube and the boxxer steerer is 1 1/8. So my question is, which headset should I get? And I know that I need the e13 reducers

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
FCLinder: No, that's not what I meant. The 08 Izimu comes with an 1.5 headtube and the boxxer steerer is 1 1/8. So my question is, which headset should I get? And I know that I need the e13 reducers
Check out the Cane Creek Flush headset.
I used it all my old beer can headtube frames with no problems.