Quantcast

Which fork?

Apr 4, 2013
Hello, I've recently bought a secondhand dh mtb, it's a Iron Horse sgs team 2004, the last owner has made some changes to the bike and I'm trying to identify the fork, can you guys help me? The only thing I know it's a boxxer. And I can't find any adjustments.
Here are a coulple pictures:

Thank you!

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2013
It looks like an '05 chassis to me based on the pinchbolts and 8" (?) travel... But, the upper crown looks like it came from an earlier model, and with no adjustments? I'd guess race, but I thought those had rebound on the lower leg at least, did you look there?
Anyway, here's a similiar thread to look at:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/help-identify-year-my-rock-shox-boxxer-219026/
Good luck!
Ok thanks for the reply, I've already looked at that post, but it drives me crazy to not know which fork I have:mad:. How can I measure the amount of travel I've got? If I measure it from the top of the tube it's approximately 7,6 inch so I would say 7'' inch of travel?

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
is there a serial number on the fork anywhere (mine are on the bottom side of the crown)?

if there is one, maybe you could email rock shox and im sure theyd be able to help you out.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2013
I've tried to find the serial number but I didn't look on the bottom side of the crown, so I'll look there, the rest has been re-painted, but either way thanks for your reply and do you know the email adress from rockshox I've tried to find it but I can't.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
does it have pinch bolts on the lowers? The top crown looks like an 03-04, the stanchions do too. The lowers appear to be maxleized, which suggests 06, but in 05 they gained an inch of travel from the 04 model year and remained pretty similar.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Everything on that fork looks like it's an 8" Boxxer Race except for the chrome tubes.

...unless it was possible to drop 7" Boxxer internals into the 8" chassis.

All the pics of the SGS's with Boxxers that I looked up had 'drop' crowns. The headtube on that bike is really tall so I'm not surprised you can only measure 7.6" from the top of the seals. Look into getting a drop crown.

As for measuring travel, you can remove both top caps and compress the fork until it bottoms out. Measure before and after and that should do it.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I've tried to find the serial number but I didn't look on the bottom side of the crown, so I'll look there, the rest has been re-painted, but either way thanks for your reply and do you know the email adress from rockshox I've tried to find it but I can't.
http://www.sram.com/contact

the info for their world HQ is on there.. i couldnt find a help line. try those numbers, although no guarantees.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
does it have pinch bolts on the lowers? The top crown looks like an 03-04, the stanchions do too. The lowers appear to be maxleized, which suggests 06, but in 05 they gained an inch of travel from the 04 model year and remained pretty similar.
The arch gives it away as a 2005, the slippery silver stanchions were around for 2003, 2004 and 2005. I don't remember why but not much from the >2004 was compatible with the 2005.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Well, it depends if you still have WC internals. Maybe it's just missing the adjustment knobs?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Info:http://www.pinkbike.com/news/article2298.html

I briefly had a half assed LOL moment-The heaviest BoXXer in the 05 line is the BoXXer team, which is claimed to be 7.2lbs. The WC I received comes in at 6lbs 12oz (3062g) in his heaviest configuration (i.e. uncut steerer, crowns, axle, Titanium springs, all mounting bolts, bumpers and oil). Pretty amazing for an 8” travel fork!

Tommygunn88

Chimp
Dec 23, 2014
ok so im new to the dirt jumper world. I decided to start with a cheap bi8ke to see if I like it....well I found I do. I purchased a mongoose dj from wal mart. upgraded the handle bars and bottom bracket. my next purchase is going to be suspension forks. i don't know what i should get or even what size for that matter. PLEASE HELP!!