Quantcast

which frame have best roll over features for rough terrain suspension/geo system.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
hello, i need a compact fast and nimble dh frame 200mm i prefer to ride bikeparks, rough/rocky roots terrain, berms, jumps middle gaps tables.
i have testet m9 v10c transition tr450 nukeproof scalp..
but no one makes me really happy the most i like is the v10c but think there are one better out there for me....

but quality first than roll over obstacles "rocks roots" berms and jumps.

any idea ?

knolly podium cove shocker commencal v3...?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
banshee legend.

but seriously.. among the ones you already tested, are some of the best plowbikes out there.

Seems like you need to spend more time setting one of them up for your needs if your not happy with any of them.

Personally i love my mondraker summum, after about 2 years on it, i thought it was getting a bit tired, then i changed a few settings about and realised why i like it so much to begin with ;)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I like rearward suspension travel like the Jedi and Zerode.
We tested the V-10, Legend, TR450, Jedi and Zerode the last two have a huge advantage eating rough terrain. It is pretty noticeable jumping back and forth between bikes.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Dirt also raved on about how much of a beast bike the new Gambler is, if you have the terrain for it... which sounds like you do

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We tested the V-10, Legend, TR450, Jedi and Zerode the last two have a huge advantage eating rough terrain. It is pretty noticeable jumping back and forth between bikes.
I have noticed the rearward travel really makes a big difference on square edges and real rough terrain. The last couple weekends we rode some of the roughest trails I have ever ridden and the Zerode rolled right through. I use to ride a 951 and had a hard time rolling through some of the sections. The rear tire would hang up on the square edges and slow down. The Zerode rolled right through with no slowing down or stopping in the big holes. I could really tell a difference. I've ridden a lot of DH bikes over the last few years and the rearward travel is my favorite for the terrain I ride.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Zerode. Gambler will be nice and come close, but the zerode pivot is way up there. Would be best for rocky courses, but it'll be a bit of a hog on berm burners. At least, my racelink was, and it's pretty durned similar.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have noticed the rearward travel really makes a big difference on square edges and real rough terrain. The last couple weekends we rode some of the roughest trails I have ever ridden and the Zerode rolled right through. I use to ride a 951 and had a hard time rolling through some of the sections. The rear tire would hang up on the square edges and slow down. The Zerode rolled right through with no slowing down or stopping in the big holes. I could really tell a difference. I've ridden a lot of DH bikes over the last few years and the rearward travel is my favorite for the terrain I ride.
Quick question: How lively (poppy) is the Zerode or Jedi? I'm guessing the rearward travel doesn't make for a super playful ride(?)

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I'm loving my Canfield Jedi. I've never felt so stable blitzing through rocks/roots...it really is confidence inspiring. The rearward axle path took a day or so to get used to, but I honestly can't imagine riding anything else right now.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
morewood makulu does an awesome job of combining massive bump eating with reactivity and pedaling.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i have testet m9 v10c transition tr450 nukeproof scalp..
but no one makes me really happy the most i like is the v10c but think there are one better out there for me....
You either have very unrealistic expectations or have no idea what you're doing. Those are all better than excellent at rolling over obstacles.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Quick question: How lively (poppy) is the Zerode or Jedi? I'm guessing the rearward travel doesn't make for a super playful ride(?)
I would say the Zerode is decent or mid pack in this regard. It is not a playful as the TR450 but close to the Legend and the 2010 V-10. I had no problems bunny hopping or boosting it over rock sections. It takes a little more body english to manual.

It is for sure the easiest to ride fast and feel comfortable on.

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
My V10C was pretty good and so was the Turner DW-DHR. The Revolt and Undead have been the best all-round performers for me. It plows, pops and corners well which for me is the ideal bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
In that same vein (and I haven't ridden any of them), but wouldn't the DW-DHR, and Pivot Phoenix DH behave similarly?
I haven't ridden a pivot but the DHR and sunday are very different. Both pedal extremely well but you could just straight up run into shlt on the sundays a little more than the turners. And conversely the dhrs jump and corner way better in my opinion. Suspension RATES have just as much to do with performance as suspension designs.

All that said, a well tuned v10 is about the most plow bike I've ridden that can also be setup to pump well. I wasn't too into the preloading 10" of travel in corners thing but I also haven't ridden one in shorter travel mode. I'd like to at some point.

I followed a guy on a zerode at whistler a while back just to watch his bike. Pretty sure you could ride that thing sitting down.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Like a lot of riders I havent been o a lot of dh bikes. Came from a 170mm sxt to a V10c. Ive only had a day in 10" and was a lil too soft (upper 30's sag %) in the park, but still felt good. Now running it in 8.5" with 32% sag, and feels pretty much all I could ask for atm... Doesnt feel clumsy at all, jumps real good, corners, and I could plow it like what everyone has said who's been on one. And by plow literally on the rough, launching off a lip and land on roots, holes, etc. Suspension feels controlled, not being bounced around is what I love about the V10... In the end setting a bike up the best you can makes or breaks how any bike rides...

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
yd35 - We designed the new Jedi with super short 16" chainstays to keep it nice and nimble while maintaining the square edge performance our bikes are know for. It REALLY helps make the bike not feel sluggish at slow speeds and allows for a more playful ride than say, our old Formula One.

If you ever come out to Whistler, hit us up as we are in Bellingham now and are ALWAYS looking for an excuse to take a day trip up north!

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id say its pretty lively, but it takes a little getting use to. I have no problems popping over stuff and I run 35% sag.

I followed a guy on a zerode at whistler a while back just to watch his bike. Pretty sure you could ride that thing sitting down.
It was probably me. You are right about sitting. I find myself sitting a lot more, since the bike is so plush. Ill be sitting and my buddies will all be standing in the same sections.

I can't tell you guys how smooth, fast and plush the Zerode is. It is truly amazing.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I own a zerode.The Rearward travel is like cheating. It gives you the feeling that it builds its own speed. (it actually just looses less)I cant explain how smooth it is- If you get some time on one, prepare to buy it, because you wont pick something else.
Seriously, this zerode is unreal!

PS, Over the weekend i piloted a zerode down the entire Highland slopestyle track, so yes, it can jump :D

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Zerode. Gambler will be nice and come close, but the zerode pivot is way up there. Would be best for rocky courses, but it'll be a bit of a hog on berm burners. At least, my racelink was, and it's pretty durned similar.
Race Link has longer stays, and isn't as stiff. Also has higher BB, and different leverage curve. Zerdoe does have higher pivot, and lazier head angle though. I don't find the Zerode a hog on any DH track. Slightly different body positioning compared to a much lower pivoted bike, but good feel and very predictable in what's happening.
Didn't you have 24" wheels on your BMW? and with it's steep head angle you found it docile turning? Did you then jump on a low bottom bracketed sunday, with over an inch less travel, and some pedal induced anti squat early in the travel? I think you'd be surprised riding a Zerode.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I own a zerode.The Rearward travel is like cheating. It gives you the feeling that it builds its own speed. (it actually just looses less)I cant explain how smooth it is- If you get some time on one, prepare to buy it, because you wont pick something else.
Seriously, this zerode is unreal!

PS, Over the weekend i piloted a zerode down the entire Highland slopestyle track, so yes, it can jump :D
Care to compare it to a Jedi?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
reach / stack and wheelbase?
Below is the current one.
http://www.zerode.co.nz/bikes.php?id=1&showGeo=yes
New large will be longer than that ;) That's about all I know. 2013 is a whole year. Hopefully they'll be sooner than later. But nothings concrete yet I don't think. I'd say it's just pretty safe to say 2013.
I'm 6ft and I find the current large a touch long myself. But everyone likes something different.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Below is the current one.
http://www.zerode.co.nz/bikes.php?id=1&showGeo=yes
New large will be longer than that ;) That's about all I know. 2013 is a whole year. Hopefully they'll be sooner than later. But nothings concrete yet I don't think. I'd say it's just pretty safe to say 2013.
I'm 6ft and I find the current large a touch long myself. But everyone likes something different.
carbon or still aluminium?