Quantcast

which frame have best roll over features for rough terrain suspension/geo system.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Care to compare it to a Jedi?
Its basically just "more" I found that the difference between a (normal) bike to a jedi, was about the same as the jedi to the zerode. It may or may not be for everybody, but i sure love it. (and the jedi as well)

PM me for more info

katsooba

Chimp
Jul 27, 2012
i own a 2012 Jedi, and while it plows through just about anything with ease, it also pops up quite good :)

after adjusting myself to the Jedi suspension i could ride any other bike. and i owned a few ;) [2012 demo, Makulu, TR450]

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
i ride today my V10c again and dialed the suspension new.. it works pretty well!!! :D
92Kg 450 rcs spring 150 psi 5 klicks HC 15klicks LC rebound fast..

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/276213/[/video]

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
yes you are right, i am "You either have very unrealistic expectations or have no idea what you're doing", thanks for open my eyes !!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
i ride today my V10c again and dialed the suspension new.. it works pretty well!!! :D
92Kg 450 rcs spring 150 psi 5 klicks HC 15klicks LC rebound fast..

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/276213/[/video]
That Airtime sound is really cool.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
The Zerode is just amazing! It rides so much better than anything I have ever ridden. The GEO is spot on, and the suspension is the best, the rearward wheel path keep you low and straight through the rough stuff, and doesnt kick your rear end up when you hit square edges at speed. It's also a rim saver, I have not had to replace a rim yet this season. Last year with my Demo, I went through 5 rear rims. The rear wheel just pushes out of the way, its a remarkable suspension design. I can also pedal through rough stuff as the suspension remains fully active under power, and it does'nt squat into its travel when your pedaling, so you dont hit your pedals on everything as with most dh bikes. Most noticeably on my demo, it would be about 50% into its travel when powering the pedals, making it impossible at times to not strike your pedals on rocks or roots, I find with the Zerode, I am able to get more pedal strokes in, in places I could not before, resulting in a lot of saved time on race courses, making it faster. Zerode for life!

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i've had my v10c for about a year now, couldn't be happier with it's all around performance. in short travel mode it definitely hangs up a little more than long travel mode, but you just have to adjust setup and riding style accordingly. if you find it "hanging up" really its just because you need to be going faster, or jumping higher....

i rode a zerode down tunnel trail in SB, and it blew me away how smooth it was. but it did kinda feel like pedaling through sand on some of the uphills, and the feel of chainstays that grow that much does take some getting used to when you want to manual stuff. good news is, it is very very smooth when you are manualing rock gardens on the back wheel. it really is an amazing bike, and i think we will start to see a lot more similiar designs as the benefits become more well known and bike parks continue to grow and multiply...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i rode a zerode down tunnel trail in SB, and it blew me away how smooth it was. but it did kinda feel like pedaling through sand on some of the uphills, and the feel of chainstays that grow that much does take some getting used to when you want to manual stuff
What do you mean 'like pedaling through sand', like did it pedal poorly or rather some kind of vagueness?

Also how did the growing chainstays feel around tighter bermed corners if you got to experience that?

Interested in hearing an unbiased opinion, and yours seems to be

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
What do you mean 'like pedaling through sand', like did it pedal poorly or rather some kind of vagueness?

Also how did the growing chainstays feel around tighter bermed corners if you got to experience that?

Interested in hearing an unbiased opinion, and yours seems to be
Pffft, "unbiased". Are you saying the rest of us pro Zerode guys are liars to some extent? Or have some agenda?
Up hills in low gears the Alfine has the most friction, it's a DH bike, not an XC one so you're not in the low gear most of the time. it's still more that it's a weird feeling than actually slowing you like riding in sand. I'd imagine any loss of energy from friction was easily regained by how well they climb even. Gearbox might feel funny in those gears because you can feel the gearbox working, and it's different to how a mech feels. .

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not at all, I'm sure it's a fantastic bike - but put it this way, if I wanted to find out what I potentially wouldn't like about the bike, I wouldn't ask you. Nothing personal, but you sell them, of course it's great to you.

I've ridden a few but only briefly - things I didn't like included the shifter and shifting direction (which I'm sure you'd get used to, but is also definitely a step backwards), the weight, which is significantly more than a current DH frame (even complete light builds end up not being particularly light bikes), and the shock poking out of the downtube. The latter is very much a personal thing and I'm sure doesn't affect everyone, but I've had a tendency to hit that area on past frames and don't like an expensive shock being near first-in-line to a rock.

If those things were corrected, and the geometry modernised, I'd consider it. More than happy to admit this is just me and my personal tastes.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If those things were corrected, and the geometry modernised, I'd consider it. More than happy to admit this is just me and my personal tastes.
You will probably like the 2013 ALOT then! That reminds me I need to email Shimano.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not at all, I'm sure it's a fantastic bike - but put it this way, if I wanted to find out what I potentially wouldn't like about the bike, I wouldn't ask you. Nothing personal, but you sell them, of course it's great to you.
Yeah, but I don't SELL them. I sell what I believe in. There's much more profitable brands I could SELL/push/talk up if I was in it purely for a buck. I like being able to sleep at night with a clear consience, so I sell what I believe in. And the fact I sold Lahar before that, and Brooklyn before that should be enough proof of my convictions.
I've ridden a few but only briefly - things I didn't like included the shifter and shifting direction (which I'm sure you'd get used to, but is also definitely a step backwards),Shifter is a bit bulky and cumbersom, but fuctions fine, and Zerode are working on something. I'm about to try a grip shifter myself, as they're good on gearbox bikes where you can dump multiple gears in one motion, and in the rare event of a misshift, you'd just be in another gear, not like a mech where the chain will get all funky and you have to pedal it through to the next gear. the weight, which is significantly more than a current DH frame (even complete light builds end up not being particularly light bikes)My current one with tons of sealant, and heaps of oil in the 888s was 18.44, with the rear lighter, and the counter balance of the gearbox in the middle, I dare say that's possibly more in your head. I really can't believe you'd be quicker on any other bike, or more confident. But no, it's not a 4X or XC bike., and the shock poking out of the downtube.it's about the hight of a 35tooth chainring(they have a 32t, so it looks lower than is. and they have replaceable guards. Not heard of anyone destroying a shock yet. I've had min touch when not running the guard, but only superficial marks on it. The latter is very much a personal thing and I'm sure doesn't affect everyone, but I've had a tendency to hit that area on past frames and don't like an expensive shock being near first-in-line to a rock.
The ZDouble Barrels with a more slanted and higher resivour are nearlly protected by the frame, definatly at the end where it's touch first.
with 9.25" rear travel, they ride pretty dang slack.

He also called your mom a cvnt when him and I had a beer in whistler a few weeks ago.

It was kind weird.
I think they had a falling out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah fair points.

Mine was 16.98 last I weighed it, with a heavier fork than yours and tubes both ends (freeride rear). Saint cranks, 2 ply tyres, 800 bars, etc.

Sounds like I'd be closer to 19 on the Zerode, too much for my girly arms to lift.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah fair points.

Mine was 16.98 last I weighed it, with a heavier fork than yours and tubes both ends (freeride rear). Saint cranks, 2 ply tyres, 800 bars, etc.

Sounds like I'd be closer to 19 on the Zerode, too much for my girly arms to lift.
Wank more:thumb: Now my mums gone n all.
It's all about the lifting.
In all seriousness, I'm skinny as a rake, and fricken love riding my Zerode. Easier to hold on when ya bikes not bucking about.

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand

geometry is spot on . 63.5 head angle on mine? pretty modern. mines a 2011 with a offset cup that you get in the new ones.
the Shifter is fine but a bit odd. mate of mine did break one in a crash. got a new one from chain reaction for nothing coz they are cheap of chips.
Ive gotten so used to mine. you end up shifting like a sram shifter because the thumb paddle and down shift paddle are long and easy to use because there is little to no resistance on them.

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
I have two Pro women on my race team riding the Zerode, and they slay on them, and not one complaint about any extra weight, sure the bike is a little heavier than your carbon demos, v10's and such, but the other benefits of the bike far outweigh that issue. It pedals extremely well for a DH bike, and it is super stable. You can moto through anything fast and keep up your momentum in the rough rocks, it excels through rough terrain. And it is really stable and quick in the corners. I've had bikes in the past that get slowed down in rough rocks making it harder to keep your speed up, but with my Zerode, its a lot easier to go fast, it just goes! LIke any bike, it takes a little getting used to, but after a day of riding it, your right at home.

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Go With the Trek.
Anything else out there has a fixed swingarm. If you have ever ridden your bike without a chain you will know how much Chain jack all bikes have. Essentially the ABP pivot eliminates that feeling giving you a ride that feels limitless.
You will not be unhappy guaranteed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Go With the Trek.
Anything else out there has a fixed swingarm. If you have ever ridden your bike without a chain you will know how much Chain jack all bikes have. Essentially the ABP pivot eliminates that feeling giving you a ride that feels limitless.
but if you buy one then you have to shine DW's shoes for a year, it's in the patent.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but it did kinda feel like pedaling through sand on some of the uphills
for the short time ive had on one, id say that this description is fairly accurate (as odd as it sounds.) it didnt feel as snappy to me as the other dh bikes ive had when it came to hammering down on the pedals

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Go With the Trek.
Ahh, hate to break it to you, but the Trek has a fixed swingarm, and there's many many other bikes having very similar or same pivot location. Not many bikes have "Chain Jack" now days, and those that do, do it deliberately to make the bike stand up when pedaling like DW linkage bikes. The Treks Pivot is quite low for this reason, and will therefor less compliant for rough features than some of the other frames suggested. The Split pivot will keep the rear active in the rough when braking though.

for the short time ive had on one, id say that this description is fairly accurate (as odd as it sounds.) it didnt feel as snappy to me as the other dh bikes ive had when it came to hammering down on the pedals
there is more going on with two chains and hubs and a gearbox as far as feel goes, but in a sprint I'd be surprised if many bikes beat it by far.
I was the only guy riding up the hills yesterday with a NukeProof and an Orange there. My Zerode probably has a lower gear though. The Alfine hubs do break in a touch, and can have the grease swapped for oil to make them spin and shift easier.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah fair points.

Wait, what? What's the weight on the Zerode Frame+gearbox/hub w/o shock (or with shock). Because comparing builds gives me nothing. I always thought zerode was reasonable weight at around old glory weight and the 2012.5's were to be lighter, hm?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Wait, what? What's the weight on the Zerode Frame+gearbox/hub w/o shock (or with shock). Because comparing builds gives me nothing. I always thought zerode was reasonable weight at around old glory weight and the 2012.5's were to be lighter, hm?
2012s are lighter, if weight is your main priority(maybe try XC), don't get a Zerode, even though they ride light with centered weight and light rear end, and every owner I've spoken to(about 15+)claims to be faster and more confident. I hope they don't knock much more weight out of them in the future, they ride fine, and durability is important to me.
You could try strapping some weight above your BB to see how little the weight there makes a difference when riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
2012s are lighter, if weight is your main priority(maybe try XC), don't get a Zerode, even though they ride light with centered weight and light rear end, and every owner I've spoken to(about 15+)claims to be faster and more confident. I hope they don't knock much more weight out of them in the future, they ride fine, and durability is important to me.
You could try strapping some weight above your BB to see how little the weight there makes a difference when riding.
Seriously? You are making snarky xc comments because I asked for weight (and still didn't give me it). Weight is not my main priority but if it weights more than a ship anchor it may become important. That's why I ask. If it's close to glory weight I have no problem. As for asking owners - it's a new product surrounded with tons of hype. With all respect to you and all the other owners I remember more than a few cases of products that were "it" for the first year and then people ditched them fast (I don't claim Zerode will be one).

So can you please give me the frame weight of Zerode

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
hm... i am curious too
what does the frame including alfine hub, shifter and shock weigh?
when will an xl be available early enough for riding season in europe 2013?
will it shed some more weight?

i know they lost dodzy :(

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Seriously? You are making snarky xc comments because I asked for weight (and still didn't give me it). Weight is not my main priority but if it weights more than a ship anchor it may become important. That's why I ask. If it's close to glory weight I have no problem. As for asking owners - it's a new product surrounded with tons of hype. With all respect to you and all the other owners I remember more than a few cases of products that were "it" for the first year and then people ditched them fast (I don't claim Zerode will be one).

So can you please give me the frame weight of Zerode
Sorry, just the weight things been done to death. They ride light as the weights centered, a straight up lifting the bike isn't a fare comparison IMO.
I don't actually know the weight off the top of my head sorry. Apparently the current anodized model was about half a Kg lighter. Mine as pictured in the 2013 thread is a touch over 40lbs, but again, I urge you to spend a day on one before passing judgement. Have not known or heard of anyone wanting to sell one, unless replacing it with another Zerode. I can truly appreciate the "don't believe the hype" but research and you'll see, check race results, and talk to any Zerode owner. Everything is a compromise, Zerode is the best balance by far for DH IMO.

hm... i am curious too

As above, not sure of weight sorry. It's on the net somwhere. I will try to weigh the next new one that passes through my hands. You could deduct all the weights from the components on mine in the 2013 thread to get an idea. I had heaps of sealant, and heaps of oil in the forks but.
Pretty sure there'll be a large next batch. No idea on when sorry.
Dodzy had already left Zerode, but his loss will no doubt have an impact on Zerode and the whole MTB community, especially NZ. RIP.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
hm... i am curious too

I never weighed the frame drivetrain assembly either. The Legend we had was 40LBS and the Zerode was 41.5 that was the 2011 almost the exact same build. Most of the team bikes are 40-41 from what I have heard. Rob's brother built a 2011 at 37LBS. Air front/rear, Stans rims, Hope Hubs, Carbon, stuff I personally wouldn't ride. See pic below. I run real DH parts on all the test bikes. The CS V-10 was lightest and it weighed 39 LBS all others were just over 40 LBS.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My Zerode weighs about 43 lb with tubes, steal freewheel, and real parts. I could get it down to 40 with lighter parts. My 951 weighed 39 lbs. The Zerode actually feels lighter because the weight feels so low and centered.

The 2011 frame with Alfine hub, shifter assembly, shock cover, and rear axle was 17 lbs.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My Zerode weighs about 43 lb with tubes, steal freewheel, and real parts. I could get it down to 40 with lighter parts. My 951 weighed 39 lbs. The Zerode actually feels lighter because the weight feels so low and centered.

The 2011 frame with Alfine hub, shifter assembly, shock cover, and rear axle was 17 lbs.
thanks for posting real numbers.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
thanks for posting real numbers.

Yeah the gearbox is about 1.5-1.75 LBS heavier than the parts they replace. Which normally are about 2.5 LBS worth of stuff. I will have one for sale soon it will be built soon. I will weigh it and take pics. I guess she will be 41-42 LBS.

I think most of you know Richard Lancaster either by name or reputation. He has ridden the bike a decent about maybe 5 times and loves it. This is the guy that hadn't ridden a DH bikes in 3 years and gets on one for a few weeks and wins a Pro race. He did that aboard a Pivot and tested the V-10 Carbon, M9 all within weeks of each other. He felt the Zerode the easiest to ride and made the rough stuff around here smooth so it is possible he may be getting the used one!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Probably because so much weight so high is more unstable (that zerode has a LOT of weight concentrated very high off the ground), hence more unstable like a lighter bike.

Last edited: