Quantcast

Which Frame?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow. You'd think after every "which frame" thread there's been you would think of telling us your riding style, what you like in a bike, your weight/height, ect. :stosh: :thumb: :nuts:

papucides

Chimp
Jun 5, 2005
Which one of these 4 frames is the best for downhill (and possibly some extreme freeriding too)? Why?
That´s my question, sorry about my english but i´m portuguese and i think da information now is in the question

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
for racing and extream fr the only one that i would pick would be the specialized.

the giant more racing

the other 2 really extream fr only. any bike can be raced though

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Why does the new big hit come with 2 seat post collers, my new frame has that and i dont no what the heck it does!

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
papucides said:
Which one of these 4 frames is the best for downhill (and possibly some extreme freeriding too)? Why?
That´s my question, sorry about my english but i´m portuguese and i think da information now is in the question
I would take a 4bar FSR over any of the other designs on your list.
The other bikes you posted are single pivot's (some with a linkage)
Nothing wrong with a single pivot, but the FSR has some "braking and tracking" advantages + I like the suspension feel of my Bighit (the older model).
So the new 26" Specialized Bighit would be my choice for DH and Freeride.
For pure DH racing you could consider the Giant, but I've never really ridden the bike, the 1minute parking lot test doesn't count, but I remember that the chainline was a bit wacky.

Try to testride the bike you want to buy.

The seatpost is a telescopic post (works like an antenna)

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
banshees are way to heavy for the amount of travel. go with the big hit defenetly, the new one may not look as good as the recent 02-05(fsr) but i promis you they still got that good old specialized quality. the giant by the way i think has to high of a top tube.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
preppie said:
I would take a 4bar FSR over any of the other designs on your list.
The other bikes you posted are single pivot's (some with a linkage)
Nothing wrong with a single pivot, but the FSR has some "braking and tracking" advantages + I like the suspension feel of my Bighit (the older model).

Devinci's is an FSR Horst link, at least the ones for the Canadian market. The US version is a faux bar.

Out of those, and yes I've ridden them all, the Devinci is the best DH race bike and the best bike there for overall riding. Its light too, only about 10.5lbs. It also has needle bearings which last much longer than most cartridge bearings and can be had for cheap.

Go with the Devinci.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i say big hit i have heard great things aobut those bike plus warrenty is great

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
wow i gues im the worlds only person to despise the bighits

all the ones ive evr ridden ive disliked, though i havnt tried an 06. I rode a giant DH team, i assume its the same bike, and LOVED it. Rode it at a DS type course thing, somthing its not ment for at all, and it felt sweet. Dont know anything abotu he banshee or davinci though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
formermtboarder said:
wow i gues im the worlds only person to despise the bighits

all the ones ive evr ridden ive disliked, though i havnt tried an 06. I rode a giant DH team, i assume its the same bike, and LOVED it. Rode it at a DS type course thing, somthing its not ment for at all, and it felt sweet. Dont know anything abotu he banshee or davinci though.

Im just guessing but I bet the Big Hits you rode were not set up right or not set up for your weight. Big Hits ride so nice. The only downfall of the older versions was the rear 24" wheel. The 06 should be real nice with the 26" rear wheel. The M1 use to be considered the best DH race bike. The 06 BH shares the same suspension and now a 26 just like the older M1. Anyway, everyone has an opinion.

degoose said:
Why does the new big hit come with 2 seat post collers, my new frame has that and i dont no what the heck it does!
Degoose is loose, what do you think chuck, "well Ron it looks alot like a teloscopic seat post to me,' well chuck I'd have to go with that one also.:rolleyes:

Degoose, I have this sneeky feeling that you are the one behind the SB ultrahuck thread, DON'T do it again.:mumble:

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
no no both of the bighits were set up properly i believe

the first belongs to escapeartist-its a 04 large i think with a 66 and 24" rear and the long rear travel setting. he prob weighs between 5-15lbs more than me so not much.

the other belongs to downhill66-its a large 05 w/ the 8" DH thingy and a super t. He weight prob 10-20lbs less than me.

doesnt seem like enough weight to make a diffrence but w/e

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
formermtboarder said:

the first belongs to escapeartist-its a 04 large i think with a 66 and 24" rear and the long rear travel setting. he prob weighs between 5-15lbs more than me so not much.

the other belongs to downhill66-its a large 05 w/ the 8" DH thingy and a super t. He weight prob 10-20lbs less than me.

Well, if I am ever out at country park, then you can ride mine to tell me how much you despise it! :cool: Its an 05 with swinger 4 way w/ 500 spring, size small. Pike race fork, soon to be 66rc! :drool:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
formermtboarder said:

There you have it. It wasnt set up for you. Any bike sprung wrong will feel like crap. If you rode a correctly sprung Big Hit you would have a different opinion.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
haromtnbiker said:
Well, if I am ever out at country park, then you can ride mine to tell me how much you despise it! :cool: Its an 05 with swinger 4 way w/ 500 spring, size small. Pike race fork, soon to be 66rc! :drool:
well i didnt much like zachs bike (though im sure u have a MUCH lighter spring) but u prob weigh alot less than me so thats no good. PIKE PIKE PIKE! Id take that over the 66 anyday (not for a big bike). The 66 IS a nice big bike fork though, silky smooth