Quantcast

Which frame

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
My apologies if my search wasn't thorough enough to uncover a thread that already discussed this, but I'm looking to build a dj/ds bike and have a few frames in mind (because all 3 are on sale).

02 Azonic DS-1 - I like the horizontal dropouts, as I'm thinking about building it as a single-speed for dj, and then changing to geared for ds

02 Azonic DS-2 - Same thing with the horizontal dropouts. Why is this frame cheaper than the DS-1? What is so different?

02 Kona Scab - Steel baby! ...and I do love the Kona geometry. For some reason I just feel really comfortable on all the Kona bikes I've ever ridden.

My build would be from some parts I have laying around; Easton EA70 bars, Azonic shorty stem, 5" 2001 Z3 QR20 fork rebuilt with 2002 crown, arch, stantions and internals (just the lowers are 2001) MRP, Race Face Turbine LP cranks, FSA BB, WTB Rocket V saddle, Easton EA50 post, Weyless B-37 MX pedals (yeah, they're actually pretty damn good), 519 rims laced to XT rear and Zoke QR20 front hub- may switch and have them laced to a pair of Sun Mammoth, or Mavic 321 rims I have in the garage. XT rear der/shifter/cassette if I go geary.

So my question is; for primarily dj, with a possibility of some DS, and a little light urban here and there, what are the best and worst things about each frame? I'm 5'10" and would probably go with a 15" Kona frame....not sure if I'd go real small with the 14" Azonic or if I'd do the 16".

Comments please.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Nd4spd
just my .02 cents

Sure, looks like a nice frame, but it's not one I'm considering. I can get the DS-1 for $239, the DS-2 for $179, and the Scab for $259. This really is going to be the bottom row bike in my garage, behind the DHR, Stinky (7" Boxxer x 6.5" with BETD), Road bike and my XC race bike (Blur). I'm putting this together with leftover components, and I don't want to spend $500+ American on a frame after spending a bunch on a DHR and a Blur.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'd say go for the kona if you like the geometry, steel is definately nice, but it's nearly the same for dj/ds. If you think at some point you'll want to get into the skatepark fad, or be cool like certain people and break your hand, then steel is nice(i'm kicking myself as we speak)

Horiz. is nice, but if there's another aspect of the frame you like(ie geometry) get that. I will recommend this: don't get a ss hub unless you have 3pc cranks...the different spacing of the hub(9 vs. 1) really screws your chainline