Quantcast

Which freeride-ish bike should I get??

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
A bike shop neer me is blowing out the 05 models. Here are the choices:

Specialized bighit, replace the stance(Yuk) with a zocchi 66.
Iron horse Yuzuka Kumicho (possibly replace fork)
Iron Horse 7.3 or 7.5?
Rockt mountain Switch s/sl/s3?
Look somewhere else

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Reactor said:
A bike shop neer me is blowing out the 05 models. Here are the choices:

Specialized bighit, replace the stance(Yuk) with a zocchi 66.
Iron horse Yuzuka Kumicho (possibly replace fork)
Iron Horse 7.3 or 7.5?
Rockt mountain Switch s/sl/s3?
Look somewhere else

I wouls def look at the Switch.Very nice freeride bike.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
iron horse 7.5. or you could always get the big hit and get the spring only upgrade for the kingpin. tpc+ is the bees knees.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I can say that the 7point5 is mediocre. I've ridden one and not only did it come with bad eyelets but it didn't ride too well. The 7Point5 comes with sick parts, though. I would stay away from either of the other models. The BigHits are OK but they have a R 24" wheel which IMO sucks. I used to own one. I haven't ridden a Switch or the Yakuzza but I wouldn't be inclined to get the Yakuzza. For me, I think from best to worst it's:
-Switch
-BigHit/7Point5
-Yakuzza

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought a Yakuzza and upgraded the fork to an 888 to race next year. It's nearly identical to my Bullit only with an aditional inch of travel and the floating brake is bad ass. The lower standover is real nice too. I will only use it for race and shuttle runs though.I wouldn't try to ride it uphill with the stock front gear.

I did ride a 7.5 and loved it, but it was too rich for my blood. I too was not a fan of the BigHit with the 24" rear wheel.

So for me, it would be the 7.5, I like the DW link. The U-Turn Boxxer was a little strange though.

Jan 29, 2005
All Very Good Bicycles, what kind of riding are you gonna be doing? If you are going to ski resorts alot, or competing in DH every once and a while the Yakuza would be the best bet. But if you're doing more aggressive trails and such, the RM or 7point would be a better choice. If you are a big drop kinda person the bighit would suit you the best

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
dropsdon'tlikem said:
All Very Good Bicycles, what kind of riding are you gonna be doing? If you are going to ski resorts alot, or competing in DH every once and a while the Yakuza would be the best bet. But if you're doing more aggressive trails and such, the RM or 7point would be a better choice. If you are a big drop kinda person the bighit would suit you the best

I'm planning some very aggressive trail riding and starting some baby steps into FR. I'm getting older and I' not looking for death defying, yet, it takes a long time to heal. I plan to do some shuttle runs around Somo park (national, mormon, holbrook) and maybe go up to Mt Eldon or snowbowl. I'm leaning towards the switch s3 which is the most expensive of the bunch, because I don't want to completely loose the ability to pedal it. The DHX propedal and marzocchi-66 front fork seem to be just about perfect for what I want to do.

I like the IronHorse yakuza because of the simple design, how overbuilt it is, and the floating rear brake. It seems nearly bulletproof. I like the bighit because of the FSR suspension, the proven design, and it's got a good build, it's also the cheapest of the bunch.

Right now I pedal my titus switchblade up mormon/national to BV lookut and blast back down. There are several places that I walk because my bike isn't setup for the type of abuse this trail can dish out.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
7point5.

The bike will pedal extremely well, and my (7.7) was perfectly fine after a summer of hard riding, which included a visit to Whistler.

Jan 29, 2005
I am going to go ahead and recomend the SX Trail, SC Nomad, Sinister Splinter MX, or if you are dead set on your current choices, the 7point.

A bike with a good efficient linkage, 6-7" of travel and a 6 inch single crown fork will probably be a setup that will suit you well.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
dropsdon'tlikem said:
I am going to go ahead and recomend the SX Trail, SC Nomad, Sinister Splinter MX, or if you are dead set on your current choices, the 7point.

A bike with a good efficient linkage, 6-7" of travel and a 6 inch single crown fork will probably be a setup that will suit you well.

I'd really like the SC nomad, but that means another flurry of parts orders and assembling the bike. I've heard a bike shop about 20 miles away has a couple of frames and they built one up with a fox36rc2 fork. I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the input! I always like to hear what other people think about different bikes.