Quantcast

which hubs????

morvo11

Chimp
Jun 6, 2006
Washington
I got hooked up with some double track hoops, and need to match them up with some hubs. I know the top of the line are hadley, chris king, and dt swiss. However i was just wondering if they are worth the money. I am going to put them on a hardtail dirt jumper. I want some that is super durable, but not gonna weight a **** load. i would like to hear some of your favorite hubs. thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I was fortunate enough to get the last 150mm 108pt. Hadley that Go-Ride had as a new hub for my new DH rig this season. I had 135 108pt. Hadley before that. My front is also a Hadley.

I love em'. The front spins as smooth as butter, and the rear pawls engage like a swiss watch. To me they are a better deal than the DT440's because they are cheaper, but are of the same quality, and weigh about the same. Never had any problems. I needed a longer rear axle for my old Demo 8 at the beginning of the season for my old 135mm rear, so from the time it took for me to call Hadley to the time the axle showed up at my door was something like 5 days. Friendly and helpful customer service - good people.

Just make sure that you correctly pre-load the bearings and you're good to go.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would get Hadley out of those three choices as the only thing King offers is a lighter rear wheel, and all else is on par with hadley. DT Swiss is reliable, but their engagement sucks, so they're 3rd on that list. I'd get Ringle before I got DT Swiss, just because of the engagement (36 vs. 18)!
For your applications though, I'd look into Woodman. Cheaper still, durable, quality, not quite as fancy, but it will get the job done for you. I loved my Woodman Bill Xtrem rear hub, it was a champ.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
If you have the money go Industry nine they know what they are doing and are superb quality allround

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Hadley is pretty much Sick. Had my ft. 20mm for 2year and it's still butter.

Also I've had some good luck with Ringle's stuff.

How could I forget about MZ 20mm ft. hub. They are like $60 and are well worth it. Prob. best hub for the money right there.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
If you have the money go Industry nine they know what they are doing and are superb quality allround
i'd say the same thing about Hadley.

but if you did go with I9 hubs, you'd have to have them make you custom spokes to fit your rims. thats another $380. righto.....:bonk:

buy hadley!

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Don't get sucked in man, just because Industry Nine looks cool, and works so far doesn't mean it's even close to on par with the three companies mentioned above. They're proven, it's not. Plus, you have to get custom spokes. Do you know how hard it will be to keep an I9 wheel running? It's not like you'll be able to go to the local shop and get your wheel fixed in any decent time frame. Your money is better spent buying a good reputable hub, and paying a good wheelbuilder to lace it to a good rim. This 'I9 is the king of hubs and wheels' crap has got to stop. Or, if it won't, I'm going to start machining my own parts that look a little different, anodizing them pretty colors, and jump on the profitability of ignorance!

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
hope pro2, lighter than everything besides ck, spin like butter. ringles are ok, the front is working great for me so far, the rear breaks pretty easily ive heard, the pawls wear out fast, hope is the way to gor for the rear unless you have the $ for ck.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
:imstupid:

Second the pro IIs just got them for my new morewood. There class spin really smothley and very well priced. I also have DT440s on my trail bike. There nice but way too expensive and there kinda heavy incomparison to the Hope Pro IIs

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Iv'e been riding my 440s for about 5 months so far and they have been great. They spin great, and there nice and quite. they are also very light...id go for them or hadleys.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Im not saying i9 due to coolness factor I own 2 sets and love them.
I have had no problems with them and I ride virtually every weekend.
Also long as you look after them and keep them mantained you will have no problems.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
id run hope over hadley, but ck over everything no matter what, ck smashes them all, but for quite a pretty penny
I don't see how ck smashes a hadley??

anyway. get a hadley or hope. avoid ringle at all costs. if you ride hard the pawls will strip every few months and their CS is completely TERRIBLE.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
in terms of engagement, a hadley trials hub is essentially equivalent to a ck in the big scheme of things (high engagement rear hubs). However, hadley edges out ck in terms of price and ease of maintenance/repairability (even if its an ever so slight advantage). also, hadley rears have interchangable axles, and hub/freehub bodies so you can get more options for more bikes. like a 4/5 speed cassette for a 135 spaced bike (for those wondering, this is done by using a hub body for a 150mm spaced 9 speed hub, but then getting a new freehub body that drops the spacing down to 135mm, and consequently 4/5 gears). or switching a hub from 10mm to 12mm and not having to buy a whole new hub, just adapters for about 30 bux.

wizardB

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
There are only three top of the line hubs they are;Chris King,DT Swiss and Hope , the rest are at best also rans hadley are shoddy and over priced for what they are.I run Chris Kings on my free ride bike and DT Swiss on my XC bike and have never had a problem ,quick sure engagement every time and lovely light wheels.Send the money and enjoy the ride or don't spend the money buy a hadley or formula and wish that you had bought the good ones your choice.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
no hub can even compare to the engagement in ck rears, they have their own patent design that isnt the same. ck's are sweet, but if ur not down for spending that much money, hope's are the way to go, cheaper and lighter

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I side with jonKranked here, hadley is a big winner when it comes to serviceability. Having worked on hugi, hadley, and countless other hubs - the hadley was the easiest to do bearing changes on, and the freehub mech (incl needle bearing and cartridge bearing) is fairly simple to work on as well. The price advantage on king is no small one either...

For an even tighter budget, i'd take the hope proII's though, no questions.

like a 4/5 speed cassette for a 135 spaced bike (for those wondering, this is done by using a hub body for a 150mm spaced 9 speed hub, but then getting a new freehub body that drops the spacing down to 135mm, and consequently 4/5 gears).
Whoa, didn't know that! So, 150x12 hub + 135x12 axle + 135x10 singlespeed freehub body (?) = hub that fits 135x12 dropouts with 4-5 gears? Have you tried it? Sounds somewhat stupid, but interesting nonetheless. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Whoa, didn't know that! So, 150x12 hub + 135x12 axle + 135x10 singlespeed freehub body (?) = hub that fits 135x12 dropouts with 4-5 gears? Have you tried it? Sounds somewhat stupid, but interesting nonetheless. :)
the hub bodies and freehub bodies, as well as the cone spacing rod thing that they screw into are all the same size and interchangable (i know they can take up to a 15mm axle, possibly more but i'm not positive). the cones themselves are what are differentiate the axle (made to a different inner diameter depending on what axle size you want). so yes in theory you could do 135x12 with 4/5 speed, but its primarliy intended for trials, street, and some people would probably like it for slalom/4x and most of these riders still have bikes that use 10mm rear axles. (using the hub body for a 150 hub allows for a 135 wheel to be dishless as well and hence somewhat stronger, something good for these kinds of riding where fewer gears are used and stronger wheels are needed).

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no hub can even compare to the engagement in ck rears, they have their own patent design that isnt the same. ck's are sweet, but if ur not down for spending that much money, hope's are the way to go, cheaper and lighter
not true. ever try a Stealth hub?
have you ever ridden/tried a hadley 108?
just because you believe its better, doesn't mean it is..

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
There are only three top of the line hubs they are;Chris King,DT Swiss and Hope , the rest are at best also rans hadley are shoddy and over priced for what they are. SPend the money and enjoy the ride or don't spend the money buy a hadley or formula and wish that you had bought the good ones your choice.
Don't even put Hadley and Formula in the same boat, that's ridiculous. I'm guessing you don't own a Hadley. I do. I have one bike, and Hadley F & R. I have also owned King and DT Swiss as well. Kings are sweet, but too expensive to get to be T/A, and are not convertible between axle sizes (obnoxious). Otherwise, they're good except for the price. I owned them, but sold them when I switched bikes, and never got another one. DT Swiss, while having good bearings, are heavy and have crappy engagement in the rear, and for me, it's all about engagement as long as you don't need to overhaul the bearings more than once a season. DT Swiss loses. Hadley is the best of all worlds. No comparison with Formula.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Weird... I see your point, but the last time I checked, in hand, the DT Swiss Hugi FR was heavier than my Hadley. I mean noticeably heavier. Thoughts as to how that's possible? I thought the Hugi FR was the same as the 440...
Looked it up more:
Hadley listed at 350g for 9mm QR 135mm rear
Hugi FR listed at 390g for 9mm QR 135mm
I guess I can notice 40g in hand.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Don't even put Hadley and Formula in the same boat, that's ridiculous. I'm guessing you don't own a Hadley. I do. I have one bike, and Hadley F & R. I have also owned King and DT Swiss as well. Kings are sweet, but too expensive to get to be T/A, and are not convertible between axle sizes (obnoxious). Otherwise, they're good except for the price. I owned them, but sold them when I switched bikes, and never got another one. DT Swiss, while having good bearings, are heavy and have crappy engagement in the rear, and for me, it's all about engagement as long as you don't need to overhaul the bearings more than once a season. DT Swiss loses. Hadley is the best of all worlds. No comparison with Formula.
agreed. i've owned just about every rear hub, i'm now left with 5 rear hadley hubs. no reason to get anything else.