Quantcast

which hybrid/sport city bike for under £350 ($600)?

Apr 11, 2006
Hi all,

Hope everybody is well.

There may have been a better sub-forum to publish this thread, but I wasn't sure, so sorry about that.

I would just like to ask if anyone has any advice. I want to buy a hybrid or sport city (sorry, I find they are called different names in different shops) for under £300. Any suggestions?

The Dawes Discovery 201 and 301 look good, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Gav

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point out this is a primarily American/Canadian bike site. Dawes is not distributed in America, and many of the bikes we would suggest might not be as available.

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for all your help guys, keep 'em coming.

I take into account that this is a US based bike forum, thanks.

I also posted on a UK site. Here's what they came up with:

Saracen Hyroad:

http://www.bikinmotion.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=551&osCsid=e279715101da46db2cc3541967b482b3

Scott Sportster P5:

http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=7548

and Marin Larkspur:

http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_larkspur.html

What do you think of those? All comments are much appreciated. It all helps to widen my knowledge.

Thanks ever so much!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
For purely fashion reasons, I'd stay away from the Saracen and the Dawes.

Personally those Konas look pretty nice to me. Very clean looking.

Apr 11, 2006
Are the Saracen and the Dawes are well made bikes though? I wasn't keen on the look of the Saracen, but if it is a good deal i would think about it.

I would say that fashion is not important to me in this instance - just want a good quality bike for my money.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Dawes used to have a good reputation for quality builds, Saracen not so much. Saracen are a jumped-up 'Argos' brand. Dawes are a very old brand who built bikes long before mountain biking was even thought of. Out of the two I'd pick Dawes any day of the week.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The forks on the Saracen and the Scott you posted are a joke. IMO you'll be better off buying a nicer rigid bike in the price range you're talking about. The components will be better and last longer.

Of those three you posted I'd choose the Marin, but I still like the Konas SB posted above. They should be easily available in the UK.

Apr 11, 2006
So from what people are saying/recommending it gives the impression that (in this price range at least) forks without suspension are better than those with suspension. Have I got this correct (generally speaking)?

I've checked out the Jamis Coda and i really like the look of it. Have a feeling I would find it hard to come by in the UK though.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
gavstephenson said:
So from what people are saying/recommending it gives the impression that (in this price range at least) forks without suspension are better than those with suspension. Have I got this correct (generally speaking)?
Yes.

I've checked out the Jamis Coda and i really like the look of it. Have a feeling I would find it hard to come by in the UK though.
Ask Google.

Apr 11, 2006
It doesn't seem I can have a bash on the Jamis Coda in the UK. Yeah, maybe I should book a skiing holiday!

I found a bike shop quite close to where I live that stocks the Kona Smoke, so I'm going to give that a go, I think.