Quantcast

which is better for generating speed -- 90 degree bowl corner or 90 degree hip dub?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . . or a combination.... the tilted/bermed launch hip to tilted/bermed landing ?

right now we have a 90 degree left berm. 3 foot tall. 7 or 8 foot radius. tight transition, amost to vert (skate bowl corner-ish).

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
My experience says the 90 degree turn is faster, you can really pump a good berm like it was a roller and generate speed.

My experience with hips is that they are fun but you lose speed, if you whip the bike in the air you are coming into the landing sidways and slide a little scrubbing speed and seems like you never get a good pump on the landing, and if you carve up the face of the take off and turn down the landing it seems like you lose speed on both.

What if you put a roller at the enterance of the berm so you could manual into the roller and really press the berm, and then have a step up roller dub coming out. If you had the room you could buld some good speed with that combo.

Sounds like maybe the section you are talking about is already to fast for that much stuff, but its an idea.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I don't know, depends how you build it. Usually, flying through the air is better for getting speed than staying on the ground. But, for a hip to work to gain speed, it would need to be long and low. Or, really steep with a deep bowled out landing.

I posted this in that other thread, but we got more speed from this thing than we would have if it was just a berm...