Quantcast

Which Kenda corners better in which condition:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Nevegal or BlueGroove, both in Stick-E and 2.5 DH rubber.
Not worried about the rear just wanna keep the front connected!
I'm currently on Michies...but with the Kenda support and all...might as well use the cheap tires(and Michies are $$$!).

The places I race are dry and silty into loose, tossed black dirt with 4 inches of golfball-to-grapefruit sized granite chunks on top sliding along with me the whole way down. It's messy, scary...and FUN!
The places I just ride 90% of the time are loose, loamy chunderific places. You know... lots of sandy, clayish dirt that stays wet in low spots and covered in dead leaves, twigs, pine needles and decaying animals... Weee!
Haven't really had a chance to try the Michies yet anyway, but so far they seemed pretty good. And I've always had Nevegals, but in 2.35 on skinny rims and heavy on the PSI. Oh...and I was slow back then. Getting faster...
Mu hunches tell me Nev rear all the time, a BG front for the race place, and a Nev front for around here. But the Nevs always did kinda pack up at slow speeds(juz trail riding)...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I think the Nevegals are the bet. They seem to work great, esp. in loose conditions.
The Blue Groove name would seem to imply hardpack use, but I've found the Nevegal does just as good there and a lot better in the loose stuff.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
BG front, nev rear. Been running that combo for awhile now. Same deal started riding with Kenda support to quit spending so much on tires and RM is where I asked. :thumb: never looked back, extremely happy and they stick like a stuck pig! :D
I rode that combo in the wet loomy NW and loved it as well as on snow and granite sand bedded areas as well as crumbly descents and tight wet single track. They are good tires...

The rear rolls a little slow on So cal conditions so either cut the nev centers down or run a semi slick center. I have no complaints so far.
Kendas are great and Cindy and the rest are really great people!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think the Nevegals are the bet. They seem to work great, esp. in loose conditions.
The Blue Groove name would seem to imply hardpack use, but I've found the Nevegal does just as good there and a lot better in the loose stuff.
I dig the avatar, glad you went back to it. I waive to my wife like that and she has no idea, I tell her its a finger cramp!!! LMAO!

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I like the Nevy for most conditions. My local wheel builder highly recommended trying the new Carter's...the tread looks really promising.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
For what it's worth, I rode 2.5 and 2.3 Nevegal's for almost a full season. Then, I switched to Maxxis Advantages and found them to be superior all around here in Massachusetts (lots of granite, roots, and loamy dirt). They're over a pound lighter, are less susceptible to flatting, and squirm less. Not quite as sticky, but the other benefits more than compensate.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I like the Nevy for most conditions. My local wheel builder highly recommended trying the new Carter's...the tread looks really promising.
I ALMOST started that thread instead...but since you brought it up, I'm REALLY hungry for some info on the Signature lineup! Mostly the Lopes and the Carters. I actually emailed Lopes hopin for a little feedback on EXACTLY what he designed them for. I'm assuming they're for groomed track and allowing a little freedom of words saying they'll suit "any" environment. And I have NO idea what surface the Carters would shine in. Loose over hardpack?

I also REALLY think that one of the reasons I started thinking Kendas kinda sucked a few years ago is because they DO last a little too long. They still had all the lugs on them, weren't really bald at all as I don't have any hardpacked trails here. But they were constantly being soaked in mud, water, clay, then baked in the back of my truck for a week till the next time out. I'm sure the "Stick-E" had long left them. I ran that one set of Nevegals on 4 different bikes for nearly 3 YEARS! Now THAT's getting your money out of a tire!
So, I think I'll try to replace my tires now about every season, or switch them off and on with ones from the rest of the line. I'm looking at getting some K.O.T.s, some of the Lopes and maybe the ECs(I must plan on being rich soon?) on top of the Nevs. Maybe spend a full day on my trails with a set of tire levers seeing what does what!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
For what it's worth, I rode 2.5 and 2.3 Nevegal's for almost a full season. Then, I switched to Maxxis Advantages and found them to be superior all around here in Massachusetts (lots of granite, roots, and loamy dirt). They're over a pound lighter, are less susceptible to flatting, and squirm less. Not quite as sticky, but the other benefits more than compensate.

As stated above, I ran Nevegals for 3 years, 4 different bikes, and many different terrains, and the ONLY time I EVER flatted was at the Crested Butte "DH" race when I clipped a pointy one dead on at 30mph with 12 POUNDS in the front with an XC tube. I'm seriously not understanding how most people can flat all the time. I'm DEFINATELY no monster trucker, I pick lines carefully, though, to the point that I know it's costing me time, but I'd rather be smooth than fast. Sooner or later the one will catch up with the other...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Talked to EC last race and adam has some excavators before release that he rode there and has been riding in Pacifica and the SLO area.
Likes them with a couple of small things, but EC designed them so you can notch the center groove to allow for better cornering and bite instead od washing out. He described it in detail and they seem like a Great tire.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Talked to EC last race and adam has some excavators before release that he rode there and has been riding in Pacifica and the SLO area.
Likes them with a couple of small things, but EC designed them so you can notch the center groove to allow for better cornering and bite instead od washing out. He described it in detail and they seem like a Great tire.
The lugs on that tire look fairly short, which should mean predictability, but also I take as a mostly hardpack tire? Mostly?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sorry I wish I had more involvement in the conversation, it was mainly Adam and EC talking it up while I goofed off. I caught a little but Im a nev/bg guy for now unless they come out with a low center knob (semi slick) for the pedaly courses then the rear gets swapped. If EC is there this weekend I'll ask him what its main strength is as well as the cuts to the tire for cornering.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
FAWK! You guys suck ass! I can't believe you're all racing down there. I have to scoop white **** out of my ****ing driveway every goddamn day so the kids can get out the door. There's literally a 2' wall of the white crap on every street, driveway and sidewalk in the state. I won't even SEE dirt until March. How can I compete with you guys this way?? I even put on like 11 pounds since friggin Christmas dinner(it may have been the 6-8 pounds of Divinity since) but apparently, shoveling snow is NOT training....
But yeah, see if you can't get the real deal out of him on them. Not sure if there's a straight answer, but I guess ask which does better(and where): a Stock Nevegal or a cut Carter...
Tell him to send me an ECD, too.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Try the Nev with this slight modification.
Cut these knobs out on both front and rear.
It makes for a much more noticible edge to carve on.
They shed mud etc way better like this as well.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The one that hasn't been made yet.:bonk:

Yeah...but I suppose that makes sense... There's ALWAYS going to be the "something that will work better" out there waiting to be made!
It's kinda strange...I mean, how possibly complex can a bicycle really be anyway? 6 years ago I was pretty damn certain that we were pretty much done seeing new things. What else could there possibly be to create??? Yet here we are, still discussing what's coming out and waiting impatiently. Cool.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
might have to try that cut myself, looks good for the wet nastyness around here

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, got a reply back from Lopes on his Sig model, the El Moco:
"Actually wasn't designed with one surface in mind. It was designed to be a good all around tire and after a year of using it on the world cup circuit, I can honestly say that it is really good in almost every condition. I would say the only one condition that I did not use it in would be super hard pack conditions like a bmx track for example. Other than that it performs great in all others. Obviously if it were really bad mud there would be a tire that would work better for that, but even then it is not too bad. Hope that helps... Brian Lopes"
Waiting on Hans for some feedback on his model, the retro-moto lookin Telonix, and for Bullcrew to dig into EC's brain to get the goods on the Excavator...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Isn't the Telonix a trials tire? It looks like it wouldn't be very fast.

edit: It's not a trials tire, but it looks like one.
edit 2: I must have missed the trials part. It certainly looks like a trials tire.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The blue groove rolls faster.....
On hardpack I'll agree with that. But I'm more concerned with washing out in loose stuff. I like the way the BG LOOKS better. It LOOKS like it shouldn't pack up as bad as a Nevegal does, but I never noticed any improvements in that area. But I also packed up a 2.2Wetscream in the same place, to the point it wouldn't fit throught my frame anymore! It's possible I expect too much out of a bicycle tire... :)

The Telonix:

"The Telonix is a steep but diverse course that includes every element of a world class track. Kenda’s Legends have participated in it - Hans has won it (again in 2006), Tomac has raced it, Lopes has also won it several times and EC trains on it. But don’t ever expect to see a race flyer on it, it’s an invitation-only event conducted without race organizers or press-coverage.
Given the scope of this race and the varying terrain Hans rides, a versatile tire is needed. One that can go uphill just as fast as downhill. The Telonix is just that. Taller and longer center knobs provide uphill grip and soft gradual ramp at the front provides downhill speed. The "H" shaped side knobs not only provide aggressive cornering bite, but also pay homage to the man himself. Its an all-round tire that works for all styles of riding, depending on the size of the tire and its compound it can be used for XC, Downhill, Freeride and Trials and everything in between."

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
It is funny when i look a picture of Steve Peat riding in vigo With a set of high rollers on his bike adn a big Kenda logo on the Jersey.....

Get a pair of maxxis doo.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
... maxxis doodoo.
I fixed that for ya, budday!

And I'm assuming Peatster was runnin WetScreams cuz Kenda didn't have a TRUE slop tire yet. With the intro of the K.O.T. I'm betting that'll change. Wonder why it wasn't a Peaty Sig model, though...He likes the goo or atleast really shines in it.
Is Peat a Kenda rider still? I think he is...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
How come you fools on da Maxxises are checkin in on Kenda thredz? Oh, I bet I know! Everyone swtched to whateverinthehell Sam Hill was runnin cuz they thought it would make them faster...but it didn't work so now you guys are just gonna run equaly as good tires that are cheaper.... Close?
Ah, just kiddin guys!
But seriously, if there was actually only single one tire that was getting the job done, there wouldn't be a "HELP! Which tire?????" thread every week! Then what would separate all the "Check out my new Sunday!" threads? lol

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
... on my ecd (jealous?)...

You're a dick! That's alright...I'll buy you beers at the first race I see you at...while my evil henchman steals my new ride! lol!
Angelfire in May?

And think the KOT will do what the Wetscream does...if they ever release it? To me it looks like a scream with the center knobs already cut down...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
for max with that tire i cut all those out for my 29ers.

alex

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Dude...your tire looks like Mr T's fuggin HEAD!! Mohawk and sideburns, that's awesome!
"I pitty da foo who don't cut da Kendas!"

That's GOTTA leave a "dead" spot going into corners, no? Of course, if you don't waste any time easing into them, but slappin'er home then you'd never notice...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
And I've been checkin out ECs tire a bit more closely and I want the BETA on that thing. I looks like it might even shed pretty damn well. But I'm curious to know what it's like in deeper, loose surfaces. It looks to have short blocks, so fast and stable on hardpack...which I really have none of around here...!
Buy EC a beer or something to get him to hold still for 10 minutes and get his take on this thing!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Just saw this thread....so here goes, i designed the tire to do some very specific things....i used the Neve as a base for measurements and knob placement as i like the tire but i wanted it to do some things a bit different..

i personally don't like when the edge knob is located low on the side of the tire relative to the height of the center knob.....i feel it makes for a dead spot of traction when transition from center to edge.....

i saw it mentioned already here but i call any tire with this profile mowhawk tires as well.

so the edge and transition knobs are a bit taller then a neve to create a flater profile.....this gives the tire a constant feel of traction at any angle.... i designed the 3 knob center knob to roll fast if needed but if the conditions are loose or muddy you can remove the center of the 3 knobs for deeper penetration....and we all now how much better that is. haha

additionally i designed the transition knob with a small inverted pyramid hole for the knob to have more movement and if needed an easy line up for a sipe running front to back on the knob.....this makes another edge on hard pack over loose.

the edge knob shape was designed to have a lot of movement on top for better conforming around rocks and roots but if you notice the side knob has a sipe half way down on the outer most edge to create a stable base so the knob doesn't just completely fold over.

so there you have it....it's an all around tire...i think most good ones are. a lot of riders use the same tires in the wet as well as dry unless it needs spikes.....i haven't been on BL's tire but i hear good things about it...i have been on Hans tire, it had good bite and it rolled a lot faster then i thought it would in 2.6.....i actually caught up to a guy who weights more then me on a fire road who was on 2.5 high rollers.

also my next tire is about to get plastic molded for approval...then we get proto's....it's going to be called the happy medium and i can't wait to see what people think....if the folks at Kenda will let me i will explain it tomorrow.