which knee/shinners?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Fox Racing Launch Knee/Shin Guard for $52

oooorrrr,

661 Race Knee-Shin Guard for $49

i can't decide. my main gripe with current and past pads is that they don't stay up and they're wayyyy hot. opine?

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
I've had the Fox Launch pads for about 7 months now and I don't have a single complaint. There comfortable on and off the bike, there not too hot, but provide plenty of protection and they stay in place. The "X-Up" strap system in the back really does help. Go with them and you won't be disapointed:thumb:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I've been using the 661 race for the past year now and I really like them. The knee sock thing really keeps the whole pad from sliding or shifting around.

I've had friends who've used the race face, but have had problems with the mesh back portion ripping and tearing.

If the Fox's have a similar around knee wrapping, then I guess it would be up to where you could find one set cheaper, versus actual brand names.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
The best (but probably one of the most expensive) setup ive found is running the fox radius soft knee pad (about $30) under the Launch knee/shin pads. This combination provides a lot of protection, keeps the knee/shin pads totally stationary, and prevents any chaffing or rashes caused by the knee/shin pads

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The Fox Launch's: I've heard complaint of the x-up buckle coming undone during impact...when you need that firmly in place....I hear they are very comfy and don't move around too. But if a pad doesn't protect, its useless.

My Raceface Rally FR's are treating me very well ;)

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
TLD's Combats - my favorites so far. They just stay in place on my legs. The five straps help keep the secure during pedaling and falling. :blah: This past season I wore knee warmers over the top of them and nothing moved that set-up.

toby

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
yeah the foxs are awesome i like the x-up buckle upy style of straps and they dont chafe at all i also like that you can walk around with them on with out the knee gaurd jabbing you in the low thigh too bad.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The Fox's are great. One of mine pinches a tiny bit, but they breath nice, so you don't have sweat running down your legs. Unless that's what you want.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I asked the same question at the beginning of the season. I ended up ordering the Mace. I've been very happy. The articulated knee does a great job of staying up.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, too late but RF/Roach Rally FR are one of the best. I've been through about 6 different brands 661 included, but finally found one that just blew the rest away.